Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night near where I live a brand new (less than 1000 miles) 2020 Subaru caught fire while being driven. No one can confirm the model at this time...so not sure if it was an Ascent. But as someone who is seriously looking at a new Ascent this is a bit unnerving. I am unaware of any recalls for electrical fires. Any insight of what might have gone wrong in this incident?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I'm not sure what that is. Rear doesn't look like an Ascent, and I don't recognize it at all.

But, why would a car fire of a not really identified car, make you think that the title was appropriate for your post? Gasoline cars catch fire in accidents. They catch fire when some critter makes a nest in the engine compartment. They catch fire for lots of reasons.

But, they don't catch fire often, and there's no reports of a bunch of Subarus catching fire.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very little information. I have a few questions:
1) You don't know which car is but you know it's a 2020?
2) Why assume it's a problem with the car? People could've been smoking inside, or a cell phone battery caught fire during charging. Literally anything could've happened there.
Last week on the news I saw a car that almost caught fire (only smoke) because the owner was carrying some leftovers from a barbecue to his home, and to keep the meet warm he put red hot charcoals in his trunk, the moment he moved the car they fell all over the place and started burning the upholstery.
Back to your question: I personally haven't seen any reports of Ascents on fire on this forum, you are probably the first one mentioning fire. We did have some discussions about carrying fire extinguishers in the car a while back, so I think the car in the video can't be one of the forum members ;)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Last night near where I live a brand new (less than 1000 miles) 2020 Subaru caught fire while being driven. No one can confirm the model at this time...so not sure if it was an Ascent. But as someone who is seriously looking at a new Ascent this is a bit unnerving. I am unaware of any recalls for electrical fires. Any insight of what might have gone wrong in this incident?

Are you serious? First off, the article does not mention the manufacturer of the vehicle. Another article shows a photo of the vehicle which indicates it clearly NOT an Ascent.
Secondly, auto fires can start for many reasons. I had an auto fire on one of my vehicles that was an older vehicle that was well maintained and recently serviced at the dealership. The wires caught on fire for some never to be determined reason and it totaled the vehicle. I assure you this had nothing to do with the manufacturing of the vehicle since it was not a new vehicle. The vehicle in your post may have caught fire due to someone smoking in it for all we know. Maybe rodents ate the wires and there was an electrical short. Let us assume this vehicle was indeed a new Subaru and you have your information from another reliable source other than the one you posted to this forum. How in the world are we supposed to guess as to the cause? There are no recalls for the Ascent that readily pose this risk. A simple two minute look up could confirm this. In fact looking at the NHTSA recall site and using subaru 2020 as key words pulls up nothing. Using subaru 2019 pulls up a few recalls (mostly for the same spot weld concern). The Impreza involves an ECM software and never mentions a fire risk. The Legacy recall also has no fire risk. The Outback recall has no fire risk. The Crosstrek recalls have no fire risk. The Forester recalls have no fire risk. There is a commenter for your post that states there is a recall on newer subarus for a fire risk but that is simply not true per NHTSA website.

If you do not want to buy a Subaru do not, but please be rational about it when posting.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Wheels look like a 2020 Impreza. Recall statement is utterly bogus, though some lady on Facebook is pushing the false narrative

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you serious? First off, the article does not mention the manufacturer of the vehicle. Another article shows a photo of the vehicle which indicates it clearly NOT an Ascent. View attachment 3213 Secondly, auto fires can start for many reasons. I had an auto fire on one of my vehicles that was an older vehicle that was well maintained and recently serviced at the dealership. The wires caught on fire for some never to be determined reason and it totaled the vehicle. I assure you this had nothing to do with the manufacturing of the vehicle since it was not a new vehicle. The vehicle in your post may have caught fire due to someone smoking in it for all we know. Maybe rodents ate the wires and there was an electrical short. Let us assume this vehicle was indeed a new Subaru and you have your information from another reliable source other than the one you posted to this forum. How in the world are we supposed to guess as to the cause? There are no recalls for the Ascent that readily pose this risk. A simple two minute look up could confirm this. In fact looking at the NHTSA recall site and using subaru 2020 as key words pulls up nothing. Using subaru 2019 pulls up a few recalls (mostly for the same spot weld concern). The Impreza involves an ECM software and never mentions a fire risk. The Legacy recall also has no fire risk. The Outback recall has no fire risk. The Crosstrek recalls have no fire risk. The Forester recalls have no fire risk. There is a commenter for your post that states there is a recall on newer subarus for a fire risk but that is simply not true per NHTSA website.

If you do not want to buy a Subaru do not, but please be rational about it when posting.
The article that I read said it was a 2020 Subaru. No, it didn’t specify model and I never said it was an Ascent. I didn’t see the photo that you posted... just the video. Someone mentioned that there may be a recall coming out on certain 2020 models that include electrical issues that could pose a fire risk. I thought maybe someone on here might have also heard that. Didn’t mean to cause any controversy. And, if I wasn’t interested in buying a Subaru, I wouldn’t be in this forum in the first place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheels look like a 2020 Impreza. Recall statement is utterly bogus, though some lady on Facebook is pushing the false narrative
I had not seen the photo only the video. I never meant to imply it was an Ascent. Was basically just looking for any insight or any truth to a current or future recall. Was not looking to cause controversy. Thank you.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The article that I read said it was a 2020 Subaru. No, it didn’t specify model and I never said it was an Ascent. I didn’t see the photo that you posted... just the video. Someone mentioned that there may be a recall coming out on certain 2020 models that include electrical issues that could pose a fire risk. I thought maybe someone on here might have also heard that. Didn’t mean to cause any controversy. And, if I wasn’t interested in buying a Subaru, I wouldn’t be in this forum in the first place.
No worries. So, the person who made up the fake recall claim on Facebook did just that. Made up a fake claim. There's no such recall, contrary to her comments.

I'm at 50,884 happy miles not worrying about one car out of the past year's nearly 3/4 of a million Subies.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can find one or two of any car model that's caught fire.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The article that you linked to on the forum did not mention the manufacturer at all. It was a poster that stated this. As such it would be beneficial to read the posts but verify the content prior to sharing it (I read four articles on the auto fire prior to replying). This is a good idea regardless of the topic. Owners on this forum can usually tell very quickly if someone is approaching a topic in a reasonable fashion and we can also determine whether the data shared is accurate. This forum has some very active and informed members. I started reading the forum many months prior to my Ascent purchase. I researched and test drove four other manufacturer models prior to choosing the Ascent. I have 20.000 happy miles on it. The forum has been and continues to be invaluable to me (the search engine works well). We have owners, auto tech folks, SOA ambassadors and members with all sorts of helpful knowledge and encouragement. As you may have read the main concern for many newcomers is the transmission. In fact if you read the forum you will see that the CVT transmission is actually fine (more than fine) but the harness was an issue which has recently been corrected including those previous vehicles with symptoms. Sometimes the defective harness caused a problem with the CVT so it too had to be replaced (my harness was replaced but my CVT was fine). You can also read in the forum that the percentage of these problems as a total of all Ascents sold is minuscule. A description of other issues that some owners have experienced can be read in this forum and on the NHTSA website. Those issues were for some of the early 2019 builds (which I have one the cusp) and have been properly attended to by Subaru of America through their dealers. The balance of "issues" I would probably properly categorize as annoyances or preferences. In addition you may note that owners have experienced a range of dealership quality of service. Like any business that is normal. My experience with my dealer has been exemplary. Keep in mind, like any forum, opinions flow freely and my advice is to always note that those posting to a forum are a small percentage of owners albeit the most vocal.

In all honesty, my I am thrilled with my Ascent Limited despite the tech glitches that have since been attended to. I appreciate the handling, the comfort, the features, the safety and the efficiency. Would I like to see some things tweaked - sure. This was my first Subaru (it will not be my last). My 16 year old son just bought his first car and it was a 2018 Impreza. Towards the end of this year my wife will be buying a vehicle and it will be a Subaru. Do your research, determine your needs and preferences and find the right fit for your vehicle choice.

Happy auto hunting.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The article that you linked to on the forum did not mention the manufacturer at all. It was a poster that stated this.
It did, waaaay down.

Various posters, on the other hand, offered all sorts of silly suggestions as to which Subaru. Outback and Ascent were my favorites, since the Outback hasn't been available as a sedan in ages, and the Ascent only comes as a massive 7/8 seat 5 door monster.

Considering the claims in the Facebook thread about an existing recall, I understand the concern. Fortunately, the person made up that claim...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It did, waaaay down.
View attachment 3225
Various posters, on the other hand, offered all sorts of silly suggestions as to which Subaru. Outback and Ascent were my favorites, since the Outback hasn't been available as a sedan in ages, and the Ascent only comes as a massive 7/8 seat 5 door monster.

Considering the claims in the Facebook thread about an existing recall, I understand the concern. Fortunately, the person made up that claim...
thank you for the correction. I certainly missed it. My bad.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think I'm just going to start cutting and posting my previous replies to this type of question concerning reliability, durability etc.

buying any car is a crapshoot. You might get a good Jaguar or M-B or you might get a really lousy Toyota or Subaru ( ask me how I know about these 4 particular brands). But the odds are in your favor with the latter two brands. But, you won't know until you buy it and you've owned it for a little bit. My Ascent has been more problematic than any car I've owned ( my second least reliable car was a Toyota Avalon limited- so go figure!), my jaguar f pace has been perfect, and my Mercedes gls450 (after 5 years and 75000 miles of ownership!!) was nearly perfect. So my experience runs contrary to what you would typically expect!

whereas I haven't had the greatest luck with my Ascent (although it's been pretty good recently), most people in this forum haven't had any problems at all. So you never know what you're going to get until you get it. I would expect the second model year to be better than the first in terms of reliability.

so if you like it, buy it. Otherwise it will be 2025 and you'll still be wondering which car to get based off reliability, or, worse yet, one off stories about a spectacular failure of a single car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.