Subaru Ascent Forum banner
821 - 840 of 847 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I called today to schedule for the recall and I was informed there is no authorization for a courtesy loaner vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this or am I getting the runaround, possibly due to extenuating warranty issues that I held them to previously?
I called to schedule mine and I was told that there is no loaner for the testing, which they want the car all day for. If I need a new transmission, that's when I get a loaner. With that setup I can only take it in on a Saturday.

I was set for 10/8 but instead my car will most likely be in the body shop at that time. Some doofus in a Civic abruptly changed lanes into my car. :mad:

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
Hoping you're ok!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hoping you're ok!
Everybody is fine, thank you. The other party already accepted full liability. My car is set to get a "new" (salvage yard) passenger front door and new passenger side lower moldings. There is damage to all 4 passenger side panels, but it's mostly scuffing and small dents that will be repaired and paint blended.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was offered a loaner but the appt would have been 3 weeks out. No loaner was just a few days so I skipped the loaner. Time estimate was “couple of hours” when I arrived at 945 so I waited/worked from the lobby and checkout was done by noon including an oil change and car wash. Was promised a loaner for the “1-2” day replacement.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the notices about the dealers possibly being reluctant to provide a loaner. I will be prepared and ask up front! Based on my suspicion of some possible slippage, they may be replacing parts.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,878 Posts
Based on my suspicion of some possible slippage, they may be replacing parts.
If they do...it's one big "part". :) The transmission isn't field serviceable, so you get a new one if it fails the borescope inspection and/or the forced slip testing.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
198 Posts
Mine was done as part of my month long moonroof repairs (heat contraction and expansion issue) 😑

No damage, nor any error codes found with CVT, so they only had to reprogram it.

I haven't driven it much yet, these are my initial thoughts.

The shifting is smoother like others describe here.

I notice that there seems to be less engine braking when going down a long hill, I have to apply my brakes sooner than before in keeping within the city speed limits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My boss also has an Ascent (I think a 2020). I was complaining one day about the recall progress. She had not heard of any issues. Not sure if they didn't receive recall letters or if their car wasn't supposed to be part of the recall I explained what the chain slippage meant. Yesterday, she said they took in their Ascent because she felt it wasn't driving right. Turns out, they were having chain slippage and need and new transmission.

However, it will be three weeks to get it back because the dealer does not have the transmission fluid! Same dealer I went to. Guess we're lucky in more ways than one that we didn't have any chain slippage.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Grey, while this recall does look for evidence of slipping via a forced test, it's primarily a borescope inspection to identify if there is damage to the chain guide caused by the software. The recall does only apply to certain VINs. Anyone who owns an affected vehicle should have received multiple official notices by postal mail. If they did not, perhaps their address is not correct in Subaru's system because of a move where forwarding has expired, etc.

Only a small percentage of affected vehicles have the damage and need a new transmission. The rest just get a software update and are sent on their merry way.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, I called today to add the CVT recall service to our existing appointment coming next week that I made back in June for the first available appointment with a loaner car since they said they would be keeping our car for several days anyway but I was told they aren't doing the recall work because Subaru hasn't given them the resolution. The existing appointment with loaner was for them to finally take the time to seriously diagnose the cabin fuel smell coming through the AC from the engine compartment vs the "we didn't smell anything when we moved the car for the oil change" from our last 2 appointments. I have even received several emails from the dealership themselves prompting me to schedule the recall service. Do I need to call Subaru corporate about this?

Overall, I've been pretty frustrated with our Subaru Dealership which is ironic because of the stellar record Austin Subaru had with people and them being touted as the top service department in the US is a big part of what made us feel comfortable about going with them despite being a 40 minute drive from our house.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
Wait, are they refusing to do the recall? Are you saying that they are STILL saying "they aren't doing the recall work because Subaru hasn't given them the resolution"?

If so, then I'd IMMEDIATELY report them to SoA, and to the NHTSA. I'd ALSO try to get that in writing from them. If that's what you're saying, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
hey aren't doing the recall work because Subaru hasn't given them the resolution.
They lied. It's been available for a long time...both the tools, the procedure and the training.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wait, are they refusing to do the recall? Are you saying that they are STILL saying "they aren't doing the recall work because Subaru hasn't given them the resolution"?

If so, then I'd IMMEDIATELY report them to SoA, and to the NHTSA. I'd ALSO try to get that in writing from them. If that's what you're saying, please let me know.
The person from the service department told me I could not schedule the recall appointment because they have not been provided the resolution from Subaru for the CVT recall.

That said, since posting my reply here I did get an unexpected call from the dealer to schedule the CVT recall service 3 weeks out. Somebody must have found out what the previous person told me. When I asked for clarification as to why the previous service person told me they weren't doing it and now they were calling to schedule I just got an "um....I don't know". Sounds like hopefully it was just bad timing and I talked to someone new who didn't know any better the first time.

It's not making me feel any better about leaving our car there. Tuesday we leave the car to have them diagnose the cabin fuel smell with a loaner car but the recall service won't have a loaner and with our multiple needs child we're going to have a really hard time with one car.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
The person from the service department told me I could not schedule the recall appointment because they have not been provided the resolution from Subaru for the CVT recall.

That said, since posting my reply here I did get an unexpected call from the dealer to schedule the CVT recall service 3 weeks out. Somebody must have found out what the previous person told me. When I asked for clarification as to why the previous service person told me they weren't doing it and now they were calling to schedule I just got an "um....I don't know". Sounds like hopefully it was just bad timing and I talked to someone new who didn't know any better the first time.

It's not making me feel any better about leaving our car there. Tuesday we leave the car to have them diagnose the cabin fuel smell with a loaner car but the recall service won't have a loaner and with our multiple needs child we're going to have a really hard time with one car.
Report them to SoA.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
Yes, because sadly I've seen it before, exactly as described, first hand. If it happened, it should be reported. A dealer mishandling a recall that egregiously should be reported. If it didn't happen, many dealers can pull out a phone log or recording to prove otherwise.

821 - 840 of 847 Posts