Subaru Ascent Forum banner
801 - 820 of 847 Posts

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Thanx, so for replacements just keep the rpm`s under 4000, as in do not punching it to passing someone, but vary the speeds, and no hill climbing.

And just thanx for what you do here Robert
And no towing, etc.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
So, for those wondering, the tech documents don't say much or anything about break-in after CVT repair or replacement - but then again, they also don't cover it for other topics where it should. So, people are being told by dealers, and even Subaru of America, that no break-in is necessary.

Yet, the customer facing information disagrees.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

SO...
Considering the LARGE number of clutch packs (with multiple clutch plates each), and the front differential, in the new/reman'd CVT, I strongly suggest to do a proper 1,000 mile break in, including, no towing, if your CVT gets replaced.

It won't hurt, and it's what's a part of the owner recommendations by numerous dealers, and it makes sense, thanks to the sheer number of clutch plates in the TR690, plus the front differential.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Touring with all the bells & whistles
55 Posts
Just a heads up - I received a recall notice from SOA for WRK-21 2 days ago. I called my dealer to make sure this was not a new recall but a 2nd notice. They confirmed, and verified that the service on my Ascent was performed more than 2 months ago.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,875 Posts
Just a heads up - I received a recall notice from SOA for WRK-21 2 days ago. I called my dealer to make sure this was not a new recall but a 2nd notice. They confirmed, and verified that the service on my Ascent was performed more than 2 months ago.
I believe any notices they send about an official recall like this to owners of the affected VINs have to go to every ower, even if the work was already performed.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for your service. And, don't hesitate to reach out if you're in need of some info on this. Please keep us posted, and let me know how it's going.
Back from my trip to North Carolina. Put over 3,000 miles on the Ascent and experienced the rumble strip sensation multiple times while driving. Contacted Subaru via email form formally requesting a ticket be opened on the problem yesterday. No response from them yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back from my trip to North Carolina. Put over 3,000 miles on the Ascent and experienced the rumble strip sensation multiple times while driving. Contacted Subaru via email form formally requesting a ticket be opened on the problem yesterday. No response from them yet.
Contacted Subaru and opened up a ticket on the issue. They in turn contacted the dealer and we arranged to have the vehicle dropped off for a second time in October when they have a loaner vehicle for me to drive. They then promptly closed the ticket and said they were going to send me another ticket number for tracking my problem in email for some reason. Nothing ever came in to my inbox. Listening to the Cisco on-hold music now waiting to find out what my new ticket number is for tracking the problem. This is starting to resemble the "Ashley Furniture/Simmons Mattress with a 20 year warranty" issue I have. One party is ultimately responsible for ownership of the problem shielded by the actual dealer/seller of the product. Perfect environment for customer run around and finger pointing. But in their defense, I did get one of these:

Hi James,

Thank you for your recent contact to Subaru of America’s Customer Advocacy Department.

We value your feedback and would appreciate your response to a brief 6 question survey based on your interaction with Sabrina , our Customer Advocate.

Sincerely,
Subaru of America, Inc.

After getting a callback I found out that the original ticket was closed and no other ticket was sent via email. So Jennifer re-opened the ticket stating that it was closed "accidentally" most likely. So I am back to my original ticket number and waiting for a loaner vehicle to free up on October 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
I'm taking my baby in for this recall service next week, anything I should know?
The process is "simple"...if the borescope shows damage or they are able to force a slip, the transmission will be replaced and you'll be without your vehicle for the process. If, like most, there's no damage, you'll get a software upgrade and be sent on your merry way.

Reactions: scipio11111

·
Registered
166 Posts
On our most recent trip I experienced the rumble strip feeling a few times bath towing and not towing - I would say probably 6 times over 1250 miles. The recall was preformed end of July timeframe and no damage to the transmission was found and the reprogram was preformed. Since this happens so seldom what should be done? From some responses above it appears its the AWD clutches that are slipping - is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
John, the only way to know what's really happening is to have it evaluated. Having video, etc., of what you are experiencing can help with that since it's sometimes hard to get a vehicle to "fail" in front of a technician...

·
Registered
166 Posts
John, the only way to know what's really happening is to have it evaluated. Having video, etc., of what you are experiencing can help with that since it's sometimes hard to get a vehicle to "fail" in front of a technician...
I realize that is the problem but capturing it when it lasts 1 to 2 seconds and then occasionally under no specific circumstances is very difficult. I thought it was the road it happens so seldom but now I am wondering if it’s the AWD clutch. I’ll mention it at my next service so at least it is recorded.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
I’m waiting on a ball joint to arrive so my dealer can replace that for me. While it’s there they’re going to perform the recall work on mine…
…but I only asked them to perform the recall because it’s still showing as outstanding in MySubaru. I recently had the cvt replaced and new programming installed but that was just before the recall work had commenced. So, I don’t expect they’ll find anything unusual inside mine but I’ll be sure to report back if otherwise.

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
62 Posts
2019 Limited in for recall inspection today. Inspection and/or logs revealed slipping and the new transmission is on order with estimated lead time of a few weeks. This will be my second replacement with the initial happening at ~4000 miles in June 2019 due to audible slipping before the initial harness related recall. I have to say I observed no issues in the last 44k miles that would have caused me to bring it in for evaluation - though I acknowledge the same oddities in it's behavior that are widely reported.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
671 Posts
I read that ZF makes an excellent 8 speed auto trans that is used by BMW, Audi, Benz and others. I also read an Australian road test of a Hyundai diesel powered SUV using a 7 speed, Hi-Torque, wet clutch DCT. The reviewer did several "torture tests" trying to overheat it (it didn't) and he was quite impressed with it. Another possibility would be to partner with Aisin, a Japanese trans maker That supplies transmission to Ram for their HD diesel applications

IMHO, Subaru should either rethink their trans choice for a large, heavy SUV or do the upgrades many are talking about to the existing TR690. Mainly removing the faux shifts, and adding different modes (Normal, Eco, Sport, Tow Haul, etc.).

I read many posts about Ascents on their 2nd and even 3rd trans with low mileage. I am glad I have the SoA Gold Plus to 100K miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2019, 61288 on the odometer, dropped off for service and was informed I’ll need a full transmission replacement, lead time of a little over a week. Glad they’re taking care of it, love my ascent, guess I’ll be running my ‘07 STi with the kids until I get it back 😁

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I read that ZF makes an excellent 8 speed auto trans that is used by BMW, Audi, Benz and others. I also read an Australian road test of a Hyundai diesel powered SUV using a 7 speed, Hi-Torque, wet clutch DCT. The reviewer did several "torture tests" trying to overheat it (it didn't) and he was quite impressed with it. Another possibility would be to partner with Aisin, a Japanese trans maker That supplies transmission to Ram for their HD diesel applications

IMHO, Subaru should either rethink their trans choice for a large, heavy SUV or do the upgrades many are talking about to the existing TR690. Mainly removing the faux shifts, and adding different modes (Normal, Eco, Sport, Tow Haul, etc.).

I read many posts about Ascents on their 2nd and even 3rd trans with low mileage. I am glad I have the SoA Gold Plus to 100K miles.
I would love a traditional geared transmission too, but the ZF 8 speed is mainly adaptable to conventional RWD layouts where there's room to package it. Subaru has its own funky thing going on with the boxer and symmetrical AWD. I think I read somewhere that the the CVT takes up about the same amount of space as the old 4EAT and 5EAT, so it slots right into the space without having to add any length or compromise interior volume.

I would like to see Subaru continue being weird as we move toward EVs. Maybe they can be the first to put a CVT on an EV drivetrain? It could be more efficient than the current norm of direct drive, and use smaller batteries too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called today to schedule for the recall and I was informed there is no authorization for a courtesy loaner vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this or am I getting the runaround, possibly due to extenuating warranty issues that I held them to previously?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts
I called today to schedule for the recall and I was informed there is no authorization for a courtesy loaner vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this or am I getting the runaround, possibly due to extenuating warranty issues that I held them to previously?
Run around. Call soa and they will assure youbget a loaner or rental at no cost to you. Then i would have a sit down conversation with the service manager.

801 - 820 of 847 Posts