Subaru Ascent Forum banner
781 - 800 of 847 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
What you are describing may be related but outside of the formal recall process. If your vehicle was identified as part of the recall, there is a very detailed specific process all dealerships are required to follow. what you describe above is not that process.

Is your vehicle part of the recall? If it is, ask the dealership to provide the test results. the results would indicate whether it passed or failed. Passed would indicate a simple reprogramming would be done. Failed would indicate a new transmission.

You can read on this forum or go to the NHSTA website to determine if your vehicle was recalled and to read the documents describing the issue and detailed solution.
Affirmative, my 2020 Ascent was part of the recall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What you are describing may be related but outside of the formal recall process. If your vehicle was identified as part of the recall, there is a very detailed specific process all dealerships are required to follow. what you describe above is not that process.

Is your vehicle part of the recall? If it is, ask the dealership to provide the test results. the results would indicate whether it passed or failed. Passed would indicate a simple reprogramming would be done. Failed would indicate a new transmission.

You can read on this forum or go to the NHSTA website to determine if your vehicle was recalled and to read the documents describing the issue and detailed solution.
Did they provide you with the written test results? If not, ask for them.
Thanks packout! Will do. Going to do an extended trip as well.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
Glad you were able to get your CVT replaced. After taking my Ascent back and leaving it for 2 weeks at the dealer, they were able to duplicate on 2 separate days the sensation I was feeling on the road. But since there is no other evidence that something is indeed wrong besides the testimony of the owner and the dealer, I am not getting any cooperation from Subaru.
Have YOU spoken to Subaru of America regarding this? Or are you assuming the dealer actually did? If you haven't personally let Subaru of America know, I would open a case with them.

Next up...
You can try the AWD transfer clutch relearn steps to see if it improves the issue. Ignore the "applicability" dates on this (it's an old copy) - the instructions remain the same.

If the relearn does not resolve it...
I'd remind the dealer to thoroughly read their latest training material (in the TSBs) regarding the AWD transfer clutch binding, where it indicates replacement if it's physically damaged before the software update and relearn.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts
Have YOU spoken to Subaru of America regarding this? Or are you assuming the dealer actually did? If you haven't personally let Subaru of America know, I would open a case with them.

Next up...
You can try the AWD transfer clutch relearn steps to see if it improves the issue. Ignore the "applicability" dates on this (it's an old copy) - the instructions remain the same.

I'd remind the dealer to thoroughly read their latest training material (in the TSBs) regarding the AWD transfer clutch binding, where it indicates replacement if it's physically damaged before the software update and relearn.
Owners teaching dealers and paying for the privledge.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Next up...

Thank you Robert I really appreciate your help,
Yes. I originally contacted Subaru sometime last November and I told the representative on the phone about the problem and this person was not aware of the problem at that time. They put me on hold for awhile and had to dig up the information to respond to me about it. At that point I was in the queue for the recall and since there was no actual fix for the next 8 months there was nothing I could do?
I will open another case with them and go from there. Thank you again for all this information as it is a God send for me as sometimes I have trouble keeping track of complex problems like this being a Navy Veteran and I suffer from migraine headaches etc due to a concussion.
Can't thank you enough.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Thank you Robert I really appreciate your help,
Yes. I originally contacted Subaru sometime last November and I told the representative on the phone about the problem and this person was not aware of the problem at that time. They put me on hold for awhile and had to dig up the information to respond to me about it. At that point I was in the queue for the recall and since there was no actual fix for the next 8 months there was nothing I could do?
I will open another case with them and go from there. Thank you again for all this information as it is a God send for me as sometimes I have trouble keeping track of complex problems like this being a Navy Veteran and I suffer from migraine headaches etc due to a concussion.
Can't thank you enough.
Thank you for your service. And, don't hesitate to reach out if you're in need of some info on this. Please keep us posted, and let me know how it's going.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,555 Posts
Owners teaching dealers and paying for the privledge.
Happened all the time with my wife's Lexus. Lexus owners are just supposed to enjoy the private club amenities of their waiting room or loaner while the service writer figures out how to empty the owner's wallet. I knew that more about issues than the service writers and their manager. After warranty, local garage or diy only.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just drove from Salt Lake City to Colorado Springs with new transmission. Wife and I both thought acceleration was smoother and drive was quieter. Also, saw average MPG of 30.8 and that was going over two 10,000’ plus passes and A/C running the entire time. Usually on this trip we see between 28-29 MPG. This makes us like our Ascent even more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just drove from Salt Lake City to Colorado Springs with new transmission. Wife and I both thought acceleration was smoother and drive was quieter. Also, saw average MPG of 30.8 and that was going over two 10,000’ plus passes and A/C running the entire time. Usually on this trip we see between 28-29 MPG. This makes us like our Ascent even more.
I am seeing on the average 2 mpg improvement both towing as well as driving around town.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had my recall done today. No signs of slippage. After the reprogram, it may be a placebo effect, but I think it may be shifting smoother. There are a few long, tall hills between the dealer and my house. There did not seem to be the usual hesitation as it changed gears (so to speak) as it went up the hill.

They also confirmed that the adhesive between hood and skin is separating, but they do not have a body shop, so someone else will have to fix it.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
They also confirmed that the adhesive between hood and skin is separating, but they do not have a body shop, so someone else will have to fix it.
They don't need a body shop to fix it.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
Where do these dealers come up with this? Don't they stay up to date with the TSBs?
I wish I knew. If it was beyond the 3/36K, I'd simply explain it's not covered under warranty, and it would be quicker, easier, cheaper and done just as well or better, by a body shop that did panel repair/replace (since they're skilled in panel adhesives, and likely have a ton in stock). But to say that they can't do it because they don't have one, makes no sense.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
39 Posts
Received second WRK21 recall letter, have not called dealer yet. After reading the 1000mile/1600kms brake in period, seems it is meant more for the engine and not so much for the cvt, have read here about the re training of the cvt. Just can not find anything, in regards to after the recall work is done. having bad search day. If just reprogramed, would short varied road types trips with some highway and town driving be better than a long highway trip with some light back roads.
Have a trip planned for end of the month and may have a choice of when I get recall appointment time, just wish to pick best one, would be just over the 1600kms round trip, with light load 500lbs on return trip.
Is much difference between new cvt and reprogramed as far brake in period goes.
Almost 800 posts is a long looky through, if there is a cheat sheet some where that would be great, and sorry if I missed it.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 ·
For the recall, the break in applies if they replace the CVT, AWD transfer clutches, or either differential. It should not apply if all they needed to do is reprogram the TCM.

781 - 800 of 847 Posts