Subaru Ascent Forum banner
701 - 713 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any of you can create polls. ;) I believe the number is remaining at considerably less than one percent needing to be replaced so far.
I went back a few pages to when people started reporting bringing in their Ascent for the recall. Out of the 11 posts I found, 5 needed new transmissions. Apparently being part of this forum greatly increases your chances of needing a new CVT.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
I went back a few pages to when people started reporting bringing in their Ascent for the recall. Out of the 11 posts I found, 5 needed new transmissions. Apparently being part of this forum greatly increases your chances of needing a new CVT.
in fact, being part of the forum caused me to need a new CVT.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time poster but following this thread and appreciate the information.

Took my ‘19 Ascent (53K miles - 9/18 build) this morning which took about an hour for the diagnostic. No issues with the CVT as they noted the following: chain guide is in spec, performed programming, performed slip info check, all slip counters are at zero.

Glad it resulted positively.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
538 Posts
First time poster but following this thread and appreciate the information.

Took my ‘19 Ascent (53K miles - 9/18 build) this morning which took about an hour for the diagnostic. No issues with the CVT as they noted the following: chain guide is in spec, performed programming, performed slip info check, all slip counters are at zero.

Glad it resulted positively.
Any noticeable difference in drivability with the new programming? I assume there will be a learning period, as with a new CVT?

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
Hey all, so...
About the new TCM code:
  1. Shift dynamics (I just made up that term, but you get the meaning, I hope) aka shift logic, are changed (improved)
  2. AWD transfer clutch TCM code is updated for smoother operation
  3. Variator pressure regulation code has been changed to ensure variators are fully at clamping pressure (based on torque input) before the forward/reverse changeover mechanism engages the forward clutch
In more detail:
  1. This will address some complaints of how the car shifts (too harsh, at odd times, etc)
  2. This will address the few complaints about shuddering when going around turns, as well as (though not specifically spelled out someplace you all can see) it will address shuddering issues where the rear wheels are taking up a bunch of the drive load when going straight.
  3. This will prevent the chain guide from being damaged, as well as prevent chain slip caused by incorrect variator clamping pressure when the forward clutch is engaged
What it won't do:
It will NOT get rid of the chirp. It's a part of how the system is designed.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
"Most techs probably do not know that the software addresses it." so , let me get this right. We should go to the photographer to get well informed diagnostics.:sneaky:
lol, photography is my hobby job (jobby? jhobby?), as are cars. Computers (cybersecurity, network, programming, tech support), construction (residential and small commercial) and restaurant stuff (all positions except bar) are my real jobs.

But yes, for the deep details, I'm a great source with the full tech library at my disposal and various friends to pester. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
lol, photography is my hobby job (jobby? jhobby?), as are cars. Computers (cybersecurity, network, programming, tech support), construction (residential and small commercial) and restaurant stuff (all positions except bar) are my real jobs.

But yes, for the deep details, I'm a great source with the full tech library at my disposal and various friends to pester. ;)
And we in turn pester you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any noticeable difference in drivability with the new programming? I assume there will be a learning period, as with a new CVT?
I hadn’t noticed a big difference with the shifting as I drove home from the dealership (10 miles upwards of 60mph). My wife (this is her car) and I haven‘t really had an issue with the shifting as others have commented. In about a week, we will be driving 700 miles each way for vacation and that will be a good test.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
it reminds Robert he is alive.
The MANY hours it takes to clean all the adventure mud off my Ascent reminds me I am alive, lol!!! :ROFLMAO:

701 - 713 of 713 Posts