Subaru Ascent Forum banner
681 - 700 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
538 Posts
The sad thing is my original engine has been working well with no complaints, and i am pretty fussy. The tranny is the only issue, first the wiring harness (pre-recall) then the latest recall. The short block was not at fault, only a damned fastener with a probable burr.
Sorry for your dilemma. If it were my car, I'd contact SoA and politely request a new engine/longblock. I'm not questioning the competency of the techs at your dealership, but swapping "seasoned" heads onto a fresh shortblock isn't a routine procedure. Just swapping over the fuel system, turbo, & accessories onto a new engine seems to me to make more sense.

I would make the proposal and see how they respond.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just dropped ours off this morning. They gave us a red 2021 Ascent as a loaner and my wife says it for sure drives much nicer than ours does. They said they will report back later today. I asked them to look at the AWD clutch as well.

Kinda hoping for a new CVT and new clutch plates. Start fresh at almost 60k miles.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
asked them to look at the AWD clutch as well.
That'll be addressed in the recall, even if they don't know it. Info to follow tonight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK. Our CVT does need replaced. They kinda rushed through the phone call with my wife and they said something to the effect of "we haven't gotten to the AWD clutch yet" so Rober can you elaborate on that? Do I need to call in the morning and make sure it is addressed?

They also said "we cant order it today because we can only order so many a day, we'll order the CVT tomorrow." Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts
That'll be addressed in the recall, even if they don't know it. Info to follow tonight.
Would be nice if there was some kind of running "poll" on the recall, replaced, reprogramed, happy, or not. I just do not have the computer skills to do it. Anyways like you are not busy enough with every day stuff. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
Would be nice if there was some kind of running "poll" on the recall, replaced, reprogramed, happy, or not. I just do not have the computer skills to do it. Anyways like you are not busy enough with every day stuff. Just a thought.
Any of you can create polls. ;) I believe the number is remaining at considerably less than one percent needing to be replaced so far.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
OK. Our CVT does need replaced. They kinda rushed through the phone call with my wife and they said something to the effect of "we haven't gotten to the AWD clutch yet" so Rober can you elaborate on that? Do I need to call in the morning and make sure it is addressed?

They also said "we cant order it today because we can only order so many a day, we'll order the CVT tomorrow." Does that make sense?
AWD clutch should be replaced with the CVT - they will get a complete unit most likely.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
The AWD transfer clutch shuddering around tight turns is due to improperly regulating the pressure on the transfer clutch plates. The new TCM software resolves it.

Those people who are getting a new CVT will have their cooling lines and CVT radiator flushed with a Subaru transmission flush kit.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
Ok I called and left a message for them to confirm that we're getting an entire unit that includes the AWD clutch.
And, if not, don't worry, it's no big deal. They pull the tail cone from the old one, swap the clutch in it, then put it on the new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local dealer in Poland was not able to reprogram the TCU. The new program was incompatible – it is dedicated to Outback 2020 and my car was produced in October 2019. However they didn’t receive temporary files from Japan here and they are waiting for further instructions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
My local dealer in Poland was not able to reprogram the TCU. The new program was incompatible – it is dedicated to Outback 2020 and my car was produced in October 2019. However they didn’t receive temporary files from Japan here and they are waiting for further instructions.
Keep in mind that this particular forum is dedicated to the Ascent which is not available in your geography. If you happen to have an Ascent that you've individually imported from North American to Poland, your dealer service department may face challenges getting what they need to perform warranty and recall service work.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
I'd try over in Subaru Outback Forums

They may be able to help

·
Registered
28 Posts
So now my original advisor emailed me back and said the AWD clutch is NOT included and that the CVT was responsible for all of our symptoms.

So two different advisors with conflicting reports. I asked him to clarify and also told him that I was told the AWD clutch at the very least needs inspected.

Is there any documentation existing about the clutch that I can use to push my point?

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
The software update will address shuddering around turns caused by the AWD clutch. It was caused by the software, not the clutch. So, it does not matter, either way.

Most tech probably do not know that the software addresses it. That requires a deep dive into how the TR690 works, and what's going on to cause the issues.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
The software update will address shuddering around turns caused by the AWD clutch. It was caused by the software, not the clutch. So, it does not matter, either way.

Most tech probably do not know that the software addresses it. That requires a deep dive into how the TR690 works, and what's going on to cause the issues.
"Most techs probably do not know that the software addresses it." so , let me get this right. We should go to the photographer to get well informed diagnostics.:sneaky:

681 - 700 of 713 Posts