Subaru Ascent Forum banner
661 - 680 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
We’ll, I just hit the lottery, and not in a good way. My 2019 model Ascent Limited, delivered in early 2018 has 60k and failed the testing during the WRK21 work-up. The good news is I get a new transmission, air/oil cooler and other associated parts. There’s also a loaner for the period of repair. The down side is a wait of over a week and the chance to break-in for 1k miles before towing again. At least SofA covers the costs.
Prior to taking it in, there were no obvious symptoms. Thinking back, there were a few odd hesitancies, yet nothing alarming.
Same here. I feel pretty good about it. I know the CVT was solid from the get go. The new CVT we are getting along with the ancillary adjustments added value and many miles to the vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A good outcome in my book. A new trans, & related parts (I wondered if the torque converter, cooler, and hoses would be replaced, as they could be contaminated with unwanted debris from the transmission failure). With the new parts and programming, you should be good to go for many more miles.
Not sure re the torque converter, yet likely as it is a wetted part. All in all, a lot of cost for a software bug installed on a previous recall.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
538 Posts
Not sure re the torque converter, yet likely as it is a wetted part. All in all, a lot of cost for a software bug installed on a previous recall.
A good question for the Subaru Guru. The TC shares the same fluid as the trans, makes sense to me that it could be negatively affected by any debris cast off by a worn chain or other failed parts.

I get the impression that the TR690 is operating at or near its design limits for HP, TQ, and vehicle weight as installed in the Ascent. I'm glad I have the SAS Gold Plus contract to 100K miles. Several owners report being on their second and even third transmission.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
A good question for the Subaru Guru. The TC shares the same fluid as the trans, makes sense to me that it could be negatively affected by any debris cast off by a worn chain or other failed parts.
They have a pressurized flush kit they may use. If it's just the guide broken, there's no reason to use the kit. And, I think they get a complete unit, so, it's just flushing the hoses and cooler.

I get the impression that the TR690 is operating at or near its design limits for HP, TQ, and vehicle weight as installed in the Ascent. I'm glad I have the SAS Gold Plus contract to 100K miles. Several owners report being on their second and even third transmission.
Not nearly. The Ascent's TR690 is operating with a 25% safety margin. And that's for the Ascent's config. They're configured for the torque expected to be put into it. For instance, the Subaru WRX S4 tS by STI is configured for higher torque and HP, and with a 25% safety margin on chain clamping for torque, for a higher end result.
  • Subaru WRX S4 tS by STI: 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque
  • Subaru Ascent FA24F: 260 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque
Neither goes near the design specs of the TR690. There's application operating specs and design max.

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
Subaru WRX S4 tS by STI: 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque
Subaru Ascent FA24F: 260 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque
Sometimes I feel like the Ascent has way more power than it’s supposed to. I was behind a Mach E GT yesterday at a red light. The way he was driving prior to the red light I knew he was going to take off. My Ascent kept up right behind him with the Turbo and FA24 screaming happily. It’s to the point it’s getting funny how Charger, Bimmer, Etc drivers won’t make eye contact at the next red light when the family hauler keeps up with them lol

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
So that's where your gas goes, eh? Drag racing at lights. LOL

(I don't do that, but I will say that at one point yesterday on a little adventure I took to New Joisey, I had to exercise that skinny pedal right to the floor due to a short on-ramp and idiots driving like maniacs. I think the person attempting to keep me from merging had to go home and change their underwear...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just got my Ascent back from the dealer for the recall - all good no damage. Haven't noticed any difference with the update and not sure what difference to expect. Had a 2021 Outback as a loaner and I was not impressed - I very much disliked the display.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
156 Posts
Had my recall done today. They did the transoscopy (like a colonoscopy) and found no damage. Might be psychological or just psycho, but the ride home seemed so much smoother. Granted it was local driving for 13 miles, but it really felt smoother. Tomorrow I can test it on the turnpike and see what it feels like.

That and the distorted windshield cowl weatherstripping was replaced,

Like new again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had my recall done today. They did the transoscopy (like a colonoscopy) and found no damage. Might be psychological or just psycho, but the ride home seemed so much smoother. Granted it was local driving for 13 miles, but it really felt smoother. Tomorrow I can test it on the turnpike and see what it feels like.

Like new again.
That has been my impression as well, much smoother accelerating and it seems quieter. But I’ve only drove it 20 miles and all of that was under 50.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Parts arrived and the repair is scheduled to be complete Friday. I do tow a trailer and will work out a 1k mile trip soon to break the new Tx in as was done when we first took possession in 2018.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts

Like new again.
That has been my impression as well, much smoother accelerating and it seems quieter. But I’ve only drove it 20 miles and all of that was under 50.
Remember, after they do the "invasive procedure", if the transmission is cleared, they apply new software to the system. That's likely why you are feeling a difference, some of which might be because the system is back to "learning mode" at that point. This was mentioned earlier in the thread and the hope is that it continues to feel mo' better after the learning period...which is likely a few thousand miles.

Reactions: jobrien

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
I will get into the changes in the software in a few days to a week. Some of what a bunch of you are experiencing is not imagination or butt dyno, but, intentional.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No such luck today. My wife brought the car in for the recall, and we just was informed a new transmission will be needed. She isn't surprised because she has brought the car in to get checked out over the last year for delayed/rough acceleration and it's really choppy when giving it gas backing up.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
No such luck today. My wife brought the car in for the recall, and we just was informed a new transmission will be needed. She isn't surprised because she has brought the car in to get checked out over the last year for delayed/rough acceleration and it's really choppy when giving it gas backing up.
I am picking my 2019 limited tonight with a new transmission. It had been in the shop for a couple of weeks waiting on the new cvt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Parts arrived and the repair is scheduled to be complete Friday. I do tow a trailer and will work out a 1k mile trip soon to break the new Tx in as was done when we first took possession in 2018.
Bummer, The parts had arrived and replacement of the CVT & associated parts commenced. Unfortunately, one of the bolts threaded into the block seems to have galled and when removing, broke off in the block. That news I received this morning. Back to SoA for a ruling and the answer is a new engine block. I asked the Tech advisor how it failed as torsion or tension. Apparently it started out then locked up in the threads. He told me it was one of the upper bolts that's next to the firewall, making it a challenge for access. My guess is that there is a burr on the steel bolt thread and the aluminum block galled around it and jammed the threads. It was a torsional failure. Now to wait for more parts and time to pull the engine and disassemble the ancillaries and heads. What a job. I'm to get a completion time estimate once the parts are secured. Glad it's on their dime and the rental is covered. I'll get a lot of new stuff in a car with 60k miles on it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,516 Posts
Bummer, The parts had arrived and replacement of the CVT & associated parts commenced. Unfortunately, one of the bolts threaded into the block seems to have galled and when removing, broke off in the block. That news I received this morning. Back to SoA for a ruling and the answer is a new engine block. I asked the Tech advisor how it failed as torsion or tension. Apparently it started out then locked up in the threads. He told me it was one of the upper bolts that's next to the firewall, making it a challenge for access. My guess is that there is a burr on the steel bolt thread and the aluminum block galled around it and jammed the threads. It was a torsional failure. Now to wait for more parts and time to pull the engine and disassemble the ancillaries and heads. What a job. I'm to get a completion time estimate once the parts are secured. Glad it's on their dime and the rental is covered. I'll get a lot of new stuff in a car with 60k miles on it.
Yikes. That sounds like a lot of analysis. Could have just been the tranny wasn't supported adequately and wasn't plumb enough for proper bolt alignment.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
538 Posts
Seems like a replacement complete longblock might be more cost effective approach time/labor wise. A lot of labor involved in swapping heads & such, also "old wine in new botles" comes to mind. I'm not familiar with Subie's policies, but when I owned a Sonata Sport Turbo with the problematic Theta II engine, that was their approach as they replaced thousands of complete engines under a federal recall. I never had an issue with the car, and my GF has it now, still running strong and has a lifetime unlimited warranty on the basic longblock.

I bet the techs at the Subie shops are getting real profecient at swapping trannies. (y)

Reactions: NWAscent

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seems like a replacement complete longblock might be more cost effective approach time/labor wise. A lot of labor involved in swapping heads & such, also "old wine in new botles" comes to mind. I'm not familiar with Subie's policies, but when I owned a Sonata Sport Turbo with the problematic Theta II engine, that was their approach as they replaced thousands of complete engines under a federal recall. I never had an issue with the car, and my GF has it now, still running strong and has a lifetime unlimited warranty on the basic longblock.

I bet the techs at the Subie shops are getting real proficient at swapping trannies. (y)
The sad thing is my original engine has been working well with no complaints, and i am pretty fussy. The tranny is the only issue, first the wiring harness (pre-recall) then the latest recall. The short block was not at fault, only a damned fastener with a probable burr.

661 - 680 of 713 Posts