Subaru Ascent Forum banner
521 - 540 of 551 Posts

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Actually they never said there was a new style rotor only the new pads and the install procedure.
ok, that's great to hear! So, new rotors, new version (3rd version) of the pads. Some dealers (a number way too large) have told people the rotors were redesigned. Just wanted to make sure you weren't one of them, lol!

Also Robert could you describe the "break in period".
Sadly, 1,000 miles of gentle braking (no "high speed slow down bedding") except as needed in an emergency, no riding the brakes, etc. The sad part is, it's a thousand miles. On my Version B (revision 2) brakes, I did that. Had the brakes changed, drove 22ish miles home, packed my car, slept a few hours, and left from NY to Florida. Those were some of the smoothest working brakes ever. On my Version A (original version), I tried, but couldn't. They were horrible. On my Version D (3rd revision, and my current pads), I haven't broken them in as well as I should, and they sometimes vibrate.

Still waiting on the verdict on the trans. I wish he would have had the scanner hooked up to it when it rumbled up the hill. The service manager told me his rep said the tools and update are still a while out.
That won't/shouldn't be relevant to your problem. I hope and expect they'll connect the computer to get Subaru the info they want, at which time, I strongly suspect it will be one of the things I outlined above.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
Do you think this is acceptable? We're not working with expensive Brembos here.
Acceptable? Or required due to performance? And I think you will find it becoming more commonplace as more and more manufacturers try to compete with Subaru's stopping abilities. As pad material gets softer and stickier, a proper long-term break-in will become required on more and more cars.

Subaru keeps pushing the envelope. Others will follow.

The beastly (in comparison) Ascent stops in a shorter distance than my former 2010 Outback. As a matter of fact, there are 25 cars in the class (and 17 of them really aren't - they're five seaters), the Ascent is #2 in stopping distance from 60 mph.

Then, the flip side... as EVs really take hold, this will no longer be a problem, since most braking will be done using motors.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,506 Posts
to put in perspective Subaru recalls compared to other manufacturers:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

Colorfulness Font Circle Slope Diagram

The Ford Motor Co. is recalling over 2.9 million vehicles in the United States that could roll when parked. This is the third recall campaign Ford has issued this week, and the company by far leads all other auto manufacturers in recalls across the country this year.

Ford Mach - E recalls half of what was produced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Service manager called me back and stated he can't make the car vibrate at all like it did a week ago. He wants to keep it one more week and drive it back and forth to work. Said his rep wants the data before he will get a trans. I told him to also check the tea a few clutch. He thanked me for the info and stated it would fixed even if he has to order the trans. I am dealing with Tonkin Subaru of the Gorge in The Dalles, Oregon. The service managers name is Daniel and he is top notch!

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Service manager called me back and stated he can't make the car vibrate at all like it did a week ago.
Mine said basically the same thing but they offered to ride along to data log while I drove it. Turns out they didn’t drive it hard enough to get it to slip whereas I knew exactly how to replicate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From what I have heard i do not believe the update will fix this transmission. Some say they cannot get anymore clamping pressure out of the pump and believe only the newer updated transmission going into the 2022 model years will fix the car. I believe that is why we have seen no tools or programming yet. I still am 100% convinced Subaru will fix the Ascents. Maybe new transaxles. Maybe some of the experts can chime in on this. This information is from some articles i have been reading.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,506 Posts
From what I have heard i do not believe the update will fix this transmission. Some say they cannot get anymore clamping pressure out of the pump and believe only the newer updated transmission going into the 2022 model years will fix the car. I believe that is why we have seen no tools or programming yet. I still am 100% convinced Subaru will fix the Ascents. Maybe new transaxles. Maybe some of the experts can chime in on this. This information is from some articles i have been reading.
Links to articles? I may be wrong, but I thought the only changes in the 22 models is the programming, not hardware. The engineers are reprogramming for increased pressure which they determined the levels were achievable through reprogramming alone.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,407 Posts
Some say they cannot get anymore clamping pressure out of the pump and believe only the newer updated transmission going into the 2022 model years will fix the car.
I believe that Robert has indicated that there has been no "new updated" transmission...but I could be wrong about that.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
I'll be doing a part by part as soon as the details come out. The problem though, isn't clamping pressure, but regulating it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well that makes sense. So do the 2022 models have the new programming? The service manager said he has seen 0 problems with the 2022 models. Of course they do not have the miles yet.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
Well that makes sense. So do the 2022 models have the new programming? The service manager said he has seen 0 problems with the 2022 models. Of course they do not have the miles yet.
Yes, 2022-2023 has new programming.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,407 Posts
Curious....? Why does the link I go to and enter my VIN say "Completed" in red although the fix is not avail yet?
DIscussed in another thread...there was a software change at the "other end" that for some reason fails to put the word "incomplete", but the color is correct. Red means "incomplete" regardless of the word.

Reactions: CLGreene

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heard from friend who work in a Subaru dealership that they received internal advisement that SOA will start sending out the tools to fix the recall on Monday (6/27). I plan to call my local dealership on Monday and see if they received the same information

·
Registered
22 Posts
Heard from friend who work in a Subaru dealership that they received internal advisement that SOA will start sending out the tools to fix the recall on Monday (6/27). I plan to call my local dealership on Monday and see if they received the same information
Called the service dept of my dealer, in Hillsboro, OR and they were not aware of any update from Subaru on availability of a fix. As the months drag on since the November 2021 release of this recall notice, Subaru needs to be more communicative about what is or isn't happening and why it continues to slide out in time, not less communicative as has been the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Called the service dept of my dealer, in Hillsboro, OR and they were not aware of any update from Subaru on availability of a fix. As the months drag on since the November 2021 release of this recall notice, Subaru needs to be more communicative about what is or isn't happening and why it continues to slide out in time, not less communicative as has been the case.
Couldn’t agree more

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just had my car in for service today and "it is just some programming" that needs to be pushed to the dealers. Are they still inspecting the inside of the transmission to ensure everything is OK prior to the re-program?

521 - 540 of 551 Posts