Subaru Ascent Forum banner
501 - 520 of 551 Posts

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
I completely agree with this. We had a 14 Outback 2.5, which was the last CVT version before they started putting in the fake shift points, and I thought it was MUCH smoother and better to drive than the Outbacks and Ascents we had from 15 onward, with the fake shift points. I don't think the fake shift points were that bad in the 17 Outback, but with the turbo in the Ascent, it was a PITA - right as Turbo started spooling it tried to shift, came off boost, and started hunting around. Unless you had your foot pinned to the floor, or in manual mode, I hated it.

As an ambassador, I would assume you talk to Subaru all the time. Does this ever come up? Most newer vehicles have "sport" and "eco" modes which tend to change transmission behavior, so why doesn't Subaru offer something like that? Either a knob to turn, or a menu item to choose "fake shift points" or "no shift points". This shouldn't be hard to fix, as it should be purely software programming.
I repeatedly bug them about removing the faux shifting or having a user selectable "Car and Driver Mode" as someone else in the forums dubbed it, but, when it comes to stuff like that (feature requests, changes, etc), my voice is exactly one, like all of the rest of yours. So, I hope everyone who doesn't like the fake shifting, asks them.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
470 Posts
I will share the actual specs later this weekend. I think everyone will be surprised.
ActiveOBD isn't much help re TC lockup. On flat ground, in "D", with easy, normal acceleration, I get 96% lock at about 13-14 MPH. Applying moderate throttle, it downshifts, but the lock stays @ 96%. I didn't learn much.

On edit, I find the 96% odd. I've always thought of the TC clutch as binary...100% locked, or 100% released...??? when monitoring it via the app, the percentage climbs from zero up, but never achieves 100%

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
ActiveOBD isn't much help re TC lockup. On flat ground, in "D", with easy acceleration, I get 96% lock at about 13-14 MPH. Applying moderate throttle, it downshifts, but the lock stays @ 96%. I didn't learn much.
I disagree. I don't know why you think it needs to unlock. There's no gears disengaging, and no reason for it to disengage. The service manuals show >=95% lock at >=20mph. There's no "gears" or "shifting" caveat.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I disagree. I don't know why you think it needs to unlock. There's no gears disengaging, and no reason for it to disengage. The service manuals show >=95% lock at >=20mph. There's no "gears" or "shifting" caveat.
I guess the Ascent's TC is different from any I've driven in the past....they were either locked into direct drive (no slippage) or like a conventional non-lockup unit (with slippage present up to the stall speed).

Also, if the TC doesn't unlock, the engine will stall when you come to a stop. I've had that happen when the lockup solenoid fails.

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Also, if the TC doesn't unlock, the engine will stall when you come to a stop. I've had that happen when the lockup solenoid fails.
Correct. It starts unlock at <20 mph. It starts lock at 13ish, and achieves full lock at >=20 mph. But it has no need to unlock to "shift gears" since it never does. Try a torque launch or ACC launch, and you can watch it move the variator ratios at mid to full load.

I'm going to see if I can go dust off the Accessport, update it, and marry it to my car for some more detailed data logging.

What I will add is that if it is the lockup clutch misbehaving (eg: unlocking), then, there is a torque converter relearn procedure (requires SSMv4) that would resolve that.

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
Other things it could be are chain clamping pressure "stutter", AWD transfer clutch dropping pressure for a fraction of a second, something ECU/engine related.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This recall just bit me. I have a 2019 and have had a ton of problems with the ascent, several of which have never been fixed. I have the steering issue where it’s really difficult to keep the car straight on the highway, smoke coming out of the exhaust on startup, neither of which have been fixed, plus a handful of other issues over the years. I finally decided to buy another car. Went to trade it in today on a new MDX, 3 hour drive from where I live. Only to find they can’t take the car as a trade because of the recalll. This car has been a nightmare and now I can’t even trade it in, I realize I likely got a bad car and everyone hasn’t had all the problems we have had but at this point it’s hard to imagine ever buying another Subaru.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This recall just bit me. I have a 2019 and have had a ton of problems with the ascent, several of which have never been fixed. I have the steering issue where it’s really difficult to keep the car straight on the highway, smoke coming out of the exhaust on startup, neither of which have been fixed, plus a handful of other issues over the years. I finally decided to buy another car. Went to trade it in today on a new MDX, 3 hour drive from where I live. Only to find they can’t take the car as a trade because of the recalll. This car has been a nightmare and now I can’t even trade it in, I realize I likely got a bad car and everyone hasn’t had all the problems we have had but at this point it’s hard to imagine ever buying another Subaru.
You might try selling to Carmax, Edmonds, Vroom, etc. Several posts on the FB Ascent page indicate that they will buy regardless of recalls.......

Sorry you got a lemon, I know I would be disappointed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is frustrating to hear. We are hoping to trade in our ascent when our order comes in. I had not realized that dealers weren’t taking the vehicle if it had a recall. Just another annoyance with this car.
We will probably have to go through Carmax or something similar, though we lose the tax incentive that comes with trading the car at the dealer.
I know Subaru is doing all it can to get this recall done but it’s seems frustratingly slow.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,407 Posts
Some dealers will accept them in trade and some will not. Those that do may not pay quite as much as they (I believe) have to hold them in inventory until the recall can be performed.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
30 Posts
Some dealers will accept them in trade and some will not. Those that do may not pay quite as much as they (I believe) have to hold them in inventory until the recall can be performed.
This is slow on Subaru`s behalf, molasses comes to mind, be nice if all dealers had to take any and all trade ins on the Ascents. Those Ascents could then be used to test the recall on.
Would like to know does anyone have an Ascent that does not have "any" of the many CVT issues?
Also "if" possible could have a choice on the reprograming, to shift or not to shift, unless in manual. I have received the recall letter but it`s still not noted on Subaru Canada`s site. Which is making me want to dump this puppy, but have a problem, I really like the Ascent, my first Subaru, be nice to hear from them, ....soon!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is slow on Subaru`s behalf, molasses comes to mind, be nice if all dealers had to take any and all trade ins on the Ascents. Those Ascents could then be used to test the recall on.
Would like to know does anyone have an Ascent that does not have "any" of the many CVT issues?
Also "if" possible could have a choice on the reprograming, to shift or not to shift, unless in manual. I have received the recall letter but it`s still not noted on Subaru Canada`s site. Which is making me want to dump this puppy, but have a problem, I really like the Ascent, my first Subaru, be nice to hear from them, ....soon!!!
No issues with my 2022 Onyx at 4K miles..................fingers crossed!(y)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,407 Posts
Dealers are independent businesses. They cannot be forced to take a trade on any vehicle they do not want to, regardless of make, model, recall status, etc.

MY19 with 32K miles. I have not had any issues. The harness recall was done when it was issued and I'll get this programming recall done when it's available as it's indicated for my VIN.

I do find the fake shifting annoying/useless and do get some extra revving in specific places that are low speed, up slope streets. So I'm very much in favor of programming improvements and letting the CVT just be a CVT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I finally heard back from the dealership after a little over a week. They fixed the brake shudder with new front rotors and the new "D" style pads. They also fixed the hood shake by gluing the hood sheet metal back down to the hood frame, there is a tech bulletin on this.
As for the trans, he stated he could find no problem with its operation other then being "Rough" shifting and operating. I told him to take it up some longer steeper grades which he stated he would do. Later this afternoon he called me back and stated at one point the car shuttered badly going up the grade, to a point the whole car shook. He stated he has never felt this in a car but had heard this was one of the complaints. He stated he would do some more investigating and stated he would keep the car for awhile longer to call SOA and get them involved. Glad they finally verified the shuddering issue.
Will let everyone know what happens next. Take care. Nick

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
They fixed the brake shudder with new front rotors and the new "D" style pads.
Unless you mean they replaced your old rotors with new rotors of the same design they've used since first production batch, there is NO new (design) front rotors. Numerous incorrect dealerships keep claiming otherwise until they're educated on how the parts numbers actually work. Brake rotor parts all start with an ending designation of "A", which is Version 1 (original).

Since there's never been anything found to be wrong with the Ascent brakes, the Ascent still uses Version 1, the original, which is identical to the ones on my Ascent since May 2018. It is Part number 26300XC00A

Anyway, in their defense, certain series of accessories start with a "0" and increment upwards for revisions.

More importantly, if you do not do a smooth 1,000 mile break in, they're going to start shuddering again.

I told him to take it up some longer steeper grades which he stated he would do. Later this afternoon he called me back and stated at one point the car shuttered badly going up the grade, to a point the whole car shook. He stated he has never felt this in a car but had heard this was one of the complaints. He stated he would do some more investigating and stated he would keep the car for awhile longer to call SOA and get them involved.
He should have been plugged in. I suspect he'd find one of two things...
  1. AWD Transfer clutch slipping
  2. chain clamping pressure variation
Subaru is going to ask for the data, meaning they're going to need to plug in, at which point, if they can follow the very easy diagnostics trees, they'll have an answer. The first earns you a new transfer clutch. The second, if there's no damage to the chain guides, earns you new programming, maybe a new harness. If there is damage to the chain guides, it earns you a new CVT and harness (and the new programming).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
799 Posts
Thanks for the tip I will give carmax a try
it may help too
subaru have "guaranteed-trade-in-program"
if car qualifies Dealers can not offer less (they can offer more) if they dont think they want it, car gets send back to subaru for action

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually they never said there was a new style rotor only the new pads and the install procedure. They did replace the rotors because they turned them the last time it was in for warped rotors. Also Robert could you describe the "break in period". Or anybody else who knows this. I don't want to have the brakes go bad due to our not breaking them in properly. Still waiting on the verdict on the trans. I wish he would have had the scanner hooked up to it when it rumbled up the hill. The service manager told me his rep said the tools and update are still a while out. I hope this is not the case. It would be nice to get the update and hopefully get rid of the slipping and rumbling. Also thanks for the info denissh, might have to use that if they cannot fix the car. Will advise when I know more. Take care, Nick

501 - 520 of 551 Posts