Subaru Ascent Forum banner
441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Asked and answered many times...no, you do not need to refrain from driving unless you have clear indication that your vehicle has slipping and if so, it needs to be addressed immediately. This recall is for inspection and software primarily for the majority of VINs that it applies to. Only a small percentage of VINs have actual damaged caused by the software issue.
Appreciate the response, Jim. I simply didn't have time to read through 440 posts to sift through the info. Glad to know it is safe to drive for now...

·
Registered
19 Posts
remedy has been fully developed, just not distributed to dealers yet.
Does anyone know what the hold up is? I was at the dealer today getting an oil change. The guy knew about the recall and said that they were told at the end of may. However, it had been pushed back, and was not aware when it will be addressed.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
Does anyone know what the hold up is? I was at the dealer today getting an oil change. The guy knew about the recall and said that they were told at the end of may. However, it had been pushed back, and was not aware when it will be addressed.
the logistics of training every dealership including scheduling, manpower, parts, tools, contracts is not a simple task. these are all independent dealerships, who will hav to integrate this training and protocol into their existing process. Depending on the demand they may need to increase staff, they may need additional loaner cars. They have to provide for some percentage of cvt replacements with little delay.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
108 Posts
Well guys. Looks like this isn’t just wary models. Check this Facebook post out on a 2022 with under 6k miles… Could be the front diff too. Kinda hard to see from the video and pictures though.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
384 Posts
Well guys. Looks like this isn’t just wary models. Check this Facebook post out on a 2022 with under 6k miles… Could be the front diff too. Kinda hard to see from the video and pictures though.

I saw this post earlier on FB. Hard to tell what happened, it looks a lot like impact damage from something the guy ran over, but he claims he was just driving along and "BOOM". I'm waiting for the rest of the story.

Anything's possible, years ago I had a Laycock OD explode at 80MPH when the rear bushing seized and the spinning driveshaft ripped the case into shrapnel, releasing the high psi fluid inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the logistics of training every dealership including scheduling, manpower, parts, tools, contracts is not a simple task. these are all independent dealerships, who will hav to integrate this training and protocol into their existing process. Depending on the demand they may need to increase staff, they may need additional loaner cars. They have to provide for some percentage of cvt replacements with little delay.
Yeah I hear you, I am just confused because Subaru expected to be doing these in April. So I am wondering what has caused the delay and them being behind schedule?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Yeah I hear you, I am just confused because Subaru expected to be doing these in April. So I am wondering what has caused the delay and them being behind schedule?
I would have to check. But I believe April was NOT going to be when repairs would start. That was going to be when deployment would begin. It is in their best interest to be done with it as quickly as possible. I also suspect the supply chain problem has been a limitation. Consider that they need to have readily available CVTs to provide for replacements on some percentage of units, all the while also having them available for the 22' & 23' sale orders. They would not want to tear into a unit and not have the solution right at hand. We know some units will not need anything and some will need a complete replacement. Since it appears there has been no relief yet on the supply chain, they need to plan accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
381 Posts
I also suspect they're wanting to roll things out as universally as possible so that Dealer X in City Y isn't the only one that gets the tools and gets completely overwhelmed just on the diagnostic side, let alone the replacement end of things.

·
Banned
244 Posts
It’s hard to believe that there is no solution at this point. This is a very serious issue which although not very wide spread, can cause serious injury if someone experienced it on a highway.
Subaru said itself that it’s a safety concern so a solution must be important to get out there and have done. At this point the start of the repairs is months behind schedule. People don’t even know what the problem is- I recently saw a poster confuse an apparent timing chain tensioner with this cut belt.
My concern is the lack of available information as to what would cause some to fail one way And others to fail another way. Like at high speed as opposed to the slow death, like was recently posted about. It was apparent at the onset- how else would the engine suddenly experience no load intermittently unless the belt was slipping? It’s not like there were gears or clutches slipping right?
Now I have the very slow death, apparent only at this point as a death lull during initial acceleration, and a clunk while downshift as it slows down very gradually. I discovered that only while trying to identify the suspension problem and driving real slow to hear abnormal noises.
I would like to see Subaru stop hiding the issue, get on maybe this forum and address the issues. I’d like to know what our solution is if identification cal transmissions are put in the cars- will they just fail again or is the transmission being replaced with a more reliable model that will get tested before being put in cars - like the old days- and last for a long time without these safety and reliability issues.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It’s hard to believe that there is no solution at this point. This is a very serious issue which although not very wide spread, can cause serious injury if someone experienced it on a highway.
Subaru said itself that it’s a safety concern so a solution must be important to get out there and have done. At this point the start of the repairs is months behind schedule. People don’t even know what the problem is- I recently saw a poster confuse an apparent timing chain tensioner with this cut belt.
My concern is the lack of available information as to what would cause some to fail one way And others to fail another way. Like at high speed as opposed to the slow death, like was recently posted about. It was apparent at the onset- how else would the engine suddenly experience no load intermittently unless the belt was slipping? It’s not like there were gears or clutches slipping right?
Now I have the very slow death, apparent only at this point as a death lull during initial acceleration, and a clunk while downshift as it slows down very gradually. I discovered that only while trying to identify the suspension problem and driving real slow to hear abnormal noises.
I would like to see Subaru stop hiding the issue, get on maybe this forum and address the issues. I’d like to know what our solution is if identification cal transmissions are put in the cars- will they just fail again or is the transmission being replaced with a more reliable model that will get tested before being put in cars - like the old days- and last for a long time without these safety and reliability issues.
the "facts" in this post are wrong

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
Hi, thanks for being incorrect in so many ways. I hope no one pays attention to your ridiculously incorrect commentary and made up understanding of things.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
441 - 458 of 458 Posts