Subaru Ascent Forum banner
401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would be concerned also. The fact that you are having issues, and the shop agrees they exist, and SoA thinks the upcoming diagnosis/repair will correct the issues, and advises to continue driving, is concerning. If your trans is not replaced under the recall, I would request an extension of the warranty from SoA. The "issues" that everyone agrees exist could/may be causing damage.

Good luck with it.
Thanks! So I picked my ascent up this morning and my advisor showed me a copy of a tech bulletin that talks about the recall and how it will address the chirping noise some people here when shifting from P-D. Funny thing is I never noticed that chirping when going park to drive until the tech pointed it out to me lol. As for the noise when driving Of course I don’t hear it again.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
Thanks! So I picked my ascent up this morning and my advisor showed me a copy of a tech bulletin that talks about the recall and how it will address the chirping noise some people here when shifting from P-D. Funny thing is I never noticed that chirping when going park to drive until the tech pointed it out to me lol. As for the noise when driving Of course I don’t hear it again.
I would love to read that TSB regarding the chirp (please post). I had not heard that this ever was a functional concern or that a TSB was out to address it.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
@Robert.Mauro I took in my ascent this morning (got a nice Outback loaner lol) after driving around for a bit the Service lead was able to replicate my symptoms. They then supposedly contacted SOA who informed them that recall “should” address my symptoms and until they get the parts we can still drive. Idk if I should be concerned they don’t want to address the issue and possibly risking more damage or just take them for their word.
If it's a screeching sound, from chain slip, "the recall" requires they replace the CVT, and use the new programming. There's no reason for them to wait.

If the screeching is the chirp or whistle-chirp-semiscreech that the FWD/REV changeover mechanism makes (thanks for posting the TechTip), then, no, the recall won't address it - but, there's also nothing to worry about. There's not a single HT TR690 on the planet that I can't get to make the chirp.

If it's the former, please message me.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
I would love to read that TSB regarding the chirp (please post). I had not heard that this ever was a functional concern or that a TSB was out to address it.
OMG, dealerships not familiar with the TR690 were replacing them because of the quite normal chirp, lol! Subaru sent out a statement in the diagnostic TSB for the TR690 a couple years ago. I guess it still came up as a concern, so, thus, the TechTip posted above from earlier this year.

I think it's exceedingly important, so that dealers don't waste CVT stock by replacing perfectly good CVTs during the recall.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
OMG, dealerships not familiar with the TR690 were replacing them because of the quite normal chirp, lol! Subaru sent out a statement in the diagnostic TSB for the TR690 a couple years ago. I guess it still came up as a concern, so, thus, the TechTip posted above from earlier this year.

I think it's exceedingly important, so that dealers don't waste CVT stock by replacing perfectly good CVTs during the recall.
I am surprised Subaru would reimburse the dealers on this replacement, if the dealers had been already formally notified of the normal chirp.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
I am surprised Subaru would reimburse the dealers on this replacement, if the dealers had been already formally notified of the normal chirp.
I don't know whether Subaru charged them back for the warranty work or not. I just know dealers had been doing the work under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Ltd. / 2022 BRZ Ltd.
122 Posts
My Ascent was built 08/2019. I seem to recall an occasional ‘slip’ or strange shifting patterns, but I can’t say for sure. I do know that after the first visit to the dealer, the transmission behavior felt more ’normal’, for the lack of a better word. I’m fairly confident that this next inspection will give it a clear bill of health. I have a couple of OBDII tools, one a basic code retriever and MIL reset and a more sophisticated one that works through my iPhone or iPad. My question is if there are any preliminary codes that may be generated by the TCU that can be stored in memory and how long do they stay there? My only experience with a transmission failure was a Mercedes-Benz NAG-1 that croaked at about 22,000 miles. That transmission had a bazillion sensors in it and with a scan tool I knew what was going on. Even before the light comes on the dash, preliminary codes would accumulate and when a certain number of codes registered in a fixed period of time, a permanent malfunction code would register. If transient codes come and go, you might not know anything happened. If I look at my Ascent at random, might there be something indicating a problem with the CVT? Chasing intermittent trouble is the bane of every technician.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
For the purpose of this recall, the required inspection routine will physically look inside of the transmission to determine if there is existing physical damage caused by the programing issue. (without needing to tear it down which is never done at the dealer level for the TR690) The inspection requirement is part of the reason this particular recall is taking some time to get rolled out as it required creation of some special tooling and procedures to do the inspection and then thorough training of dealer resources to do the required processes. If damage is observed...new hardware gets installed. Beyond that, new programming gets put in place to help alleviate the issue from occuring in the future where there is no existing damage. The latter is a similar thing that happened with the original recall that revolved around the faulty wiring harness that caused damage on some transmissions out of the potentially affected group of VINs.

Flarp', there actually are some codes that get set when certain problems occur and those would normally be used to determine if there is an actual issue with the transmission or not. There are also some observable things that have visual cues from the tachometer as well as some audible clues at the same time. There have been photos and videos posted here in the forum that showed a slipping situation.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
384 Posts
My Ascent was built 08/2019. I seem to recall an occasional ‘slip’ or strange shifting patterns, but I can’t say for sure. I do know that after the first visit to the dealer, the transmission behavior felt more ’normal’, for the lack of a better word. I’m fairly confident that this next inspection will give it a clear bill of health. I have a couple of OBDII tools, one a basic code retriever and MIL reset and a more sophisticated one that works through my iPhone or iPad. My question is if there are any preliminary codes that may be generated by the TCU that can be stored in memory and how long do they stay there? My only experience with a transmission failure was a Mercedes-Benz NAG-1 that croaked at about 22,000 miles. That transmission had a bazillion sensors in it and with a scan tool I knew what was going on. Even before the light comes on the dash, preliminary codes would accumulate and when a certain number of codes registered in a fixed period of time, a permanent malfunction code would register. If transient codes come and go, you might not know anything happened. If I look at my Ascent at random, might there be something indicating a problem with the CVT? Chasing intermittent trouble is the bane of every technician.
I believe that the recall letter mentioned a forensic scan of the ECU/TCM for any codes thrown. That, and a visual inspection of the chain guides using a borescope (I'm a bit leary of that, as it requires a subjective judgment of the examiner, sort of like a colonoscopy :oops:).

I watched a Youtube vid of a teardown of the TR690, very educational! The Chain guides (there are two) are plastic, or ABS, or nylon, or whatever (not metal). It is a very impressive piece of kit, I just wish they would let it do its own thing and not listen to marketing types who read Car and Driver.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,428 Posts
I believe that the recall letter mentioned a forensic scan of the ECU/TCM for any codes thrown. That, and a visual inspection of the chain guides using a borescope (I'm a bit leary of that, as it requires a subjective judgment of the examiner, sort of like a colonoscopy :oops:).

I watched a Youtube vid of a teardown of the TR690, very educational! The Chain guides (there are two) are plastic, or ABS, or nylon, or whatever (not metal). It is a very impressive piece of kit, I just wish they would let it do its own thing and not listen to marketing types who read Car and Driver.

Chain guide is literally just a lever on a pivot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dropped by the dealer for an oil change earlier this week - service manager told me they don't expect to have the tools to perform this recall work until June or July.

Getting nervous as 1) my factory warranty is up at the end of this month and 2) have a long distance trip planned at the end of May. To the best of my knowledge, have not experienced any slippage symptoms, but this is not my daily driver. The vehicle has very few miles given its age (12k in 3yrs). Should I be concerned about taking this trip?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Dropped by the dealer for an oil change earlier this week - service manager told me they don't expect to have the tools to perform this recall work until June or July.

Getting nervous as 1) my factory warranty is up at the end of this month and 2) have a long distance trip planned at the end of May. To the best of my knowledge, have not experienced any slippage symptoms, but this is not my daily driver. The vehicle has very few miles given its age (12k in 3yrs). Should I be concerned about taking this trip?
For what it's worth, I am also waiting for the recall and I have a 3.5 year old 2019 with 42k miles on it. I have not had any transmission issues since I bought it new and I personally would not hesitate to take it on a long trip. I would feel better if I could have the recall done sooner rather than later, but I wouldn't let this derail any travel plans.

Your powetrain warranty is still good for 5yr/60k and the transmission should be covered for 10yr/100k if it is still has the original CVT.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
While nobody can promise nothing will happen to your vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter, if you're not experiencing any symptoms I wouldn't change my plans based on the recall alone.
Good news is the recall applies to your vehicle whether you're under warranty or not. Also good news is the transmission is part of the powertrain warranty which lasts 5yrs/60k. More potential good news, depending on whether you were part of the previous recall, some CVT warranties were extended to 100k mi.

Reactions: subagu and packout

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appreciate both responses and encouragement. After looking through paperwork, I actually did receive the warranty extension to 10yr/100k following the previous recall work in July 2020. I'll have to spend more time driving the Ascent to make sure she's symptom free over the next month. Would just hate to have any issues 1k miles away from home.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Appreciate both responses and encouragement. After looking through paperwork, I actually did receive the warranty extension to 10yr/100k following the previous recall work in July 2020. I'll have to spend more time driving the Ascent to make sure she's symptom free over the next month. Would just hate to have any issues 1k miles away from home.
Awww, where's your sense of adventure! :D

401 - 420 of 458 Posts