Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VEHICLE RECALL - FUEL PUMP
WRG-21 Fuel Pump Impeller Failure
Yes, all, there is a new recall coming - for the fuel pump. As an FYI, most of you will NOT be affected.
About 7% of the Subie models and years in question are affected. A total of 22,831 Ascents (model year 2019-2020) are affected out of about 140,000 Ascents in those model years (or out of approximately 210,000 Ascents to date), so, only about 11% of us are affected.

That means, most of you will not be affected.

So, just because you've got a 2019 or 2020, it doesn't mean you're part of the recall. And, even if you are, it's not a big deal to swap the pump.

PRO TIPS:
  • Do not go in with more than a quarter tank of gas.
  • Do NOT fill up before you go in.
  • Empty your cargo area, third row and second row before bringing your car in.
NOTES:
  1. Whether your vehicle is part of the recall is based on the VIN number - and NOT on the production date.
  2. Do NOT assume your vehicle is part of the recall because GasBuddy or CARFAXinc mailed or emailed you, or because their apps say so. Their databases are not correct. I regularly get (mail/email) or see (app) incorrect recall notifications for my Ascent thanks to both of them. Heck, I checked the GasBuddy app, by VIN, just earlier today, and it has 3 recalls (out of 6) that have nothing to do with my car. So...

ONLY the database on SubaruNet (which you can't see) and subaru(dot)com (link below - active when the recall is officially opened/started) and eventually NHTSA's query page is correct.
  3. Your vehicle will NOT show up on the Subaru recall site until the recall becomes active.
  4. Your vehicle may not show up on MySubaru or via push/email notifications until AFTER your physical old school printed mail notification is sent (NHTSA requirement that you be notified by regular mail, not by app).
  5. Do NOT stress over this. If your vehicle goes in for regular service and parts are available, then, they'll do the recall. Otherwise, when you get your notification, schedule your appointment.
  6. Parts are not yet available. First up will be "limited availability" as replacement parts production is ramped up.
  7. In the upcoming weeks, check your status here:
    https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html

Or on MySubaru app (will be updated later)

Or wait for your physical mail

(and then make an appointment)
  8. For those with other recent year Subies, check the NHTSA link below if you're wondering if your other Subie is potentially affected (again, it must be verified by VIN, and only Subaru can do that currently). Same stuff above applies to your other Subies, if it's potentially affected.

ODDLY...
Oddly, "everyone" seems to be recalling fuel pumps lately. For instance, Acura and Honda just recalled 628K cars. Toyota recently recalled 1.1 million cars. Nissan/Infiniti recently recalled 24k. Hyundai and Kia just recalled well over 200K cars in two or three recalls. Ford is apparently doing almost yearly fuel pump and/or fuel system recalls. GM has done a bunch every year for the last few years. Etc, etc, etc...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V587-5783.pdf

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/04/subaru-fuel-pump-recall/

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
And remind the service advisor to drape the fuel pump access area with towels to absorb any leaks. Otherwise the smell will not go away until 1-2wks! IIRC, the OEM installation document states that the fume/vapor will go away after couple of hrs, but that was not the case for me. Obviously, somebody did not follow rule/instruction and just went to town, spilling gasoline inside the cabin.

I remember it was not a pleasant dinner bc my wife was complaining about it for 15miles bc of our 1mo old kid breathing it. I even aired it out for about 6hrs before leaving for Saturday dinner!

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And remind the service advisor to drape the fuel pump access area with towels to absorb any leaks. Otherwise the smell will not go away until 1-2wks!
Indeed! They're provided special absorbent pads for just this purpose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, I don't think they used those special absorbent towels when they did ours. It reeked for weeks...it was bitter-cold January in Michigan, and we had to drive with the windows open. I'm actually glad to hear others had this happen, because I thought our dealership was just handing wrenches to palsied monkeys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm guessing the recall my '19 underwent in April 2020 is something different.
  • Type: Safety|
  • Safety Recall: WRD20|
  • NHTSA Campaign: 20V218000
19 Ascent Fuel Pump Replacement
Completed
Completed
April 16, 2020
Description
The low pressure fuel pump may become inoperative in certain 2019 model year Ascent, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback vehicles.
Safety Risk
If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
Remedy
For all of the potentially affected vehicles, Subaru dealers will replace the low pressure fuel pump with an improved part at no cost.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's a different recall.
I'm guessing the recall my '19 underwent in April 2020 is something different.
  • Type: Safety|
  • Safety Recall: WRD20|
  • NHTSA Campaign: 20V218000
19 Ascent Fuel Pump Replacement
Completed
Completed
April 16, 2020
Description
The low pressure fuel pump may become inoperative in certain 2019 model year Ascent, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback vehicles.
Safety Risk
If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
Remedy
For all of the potentially affected vehicles, Subaru dealers will replace the low pressure fuel pump with an improved part at no cost.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Answers my question
I don't know if there's a correlation or relationship. I didn't have mine done, and I am also not a part of the recall (not a part of either).

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's the same issue as the WRD-20, it's just more fuel pump part numbers were added to this one. Can't expand the prior recall the way the remediation plan submission/ compliance reporting is done with the NHTSA. Have to submit a new recall, with new compliance reporting.

The chronology report that was submitted starts at the last recall WRD-20 (20V-218) and then ends up with this one WRG-21 (21V-587). More potentially affected units were identified. If you were fixed in the first go round, you're good. This is just more of the same. interesting that last time it was estimated that 4% of the potential number of units were thought to be affected, and this time it's 1% of them.

part numbers from WRD-20

42022FL02B
42022FL030
42022XC01A
42022SG000
42022AL00B
42022AL01B

part numbers from WRG-21
note: only 4 from the previous list are here for whatever reason

42022CA000
42022AJ140
42022FL02A
42022FL02B
42022AN00A
42022XC01A
42022AL00A
42022AL00B
42022AL01A
42022AL01B

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
164 Posts
I did my recall today. I'm not happy. Interior smell of gas is pronounced. Liberty Subaru in Emerson NJ is not doing good service lately.
I was told they will do complimentary car wash like they always do but they didn't. When work was finished car was sitting on the lot for almost 30 minutes and that's when I lost my patience. Went to see service representative and pointed out that my car seems to be ready. They said "sorry, we are busy".
Last time I had problem with them how they handled my wheel alignment.
I live in Manhattan and drive there to service my car because that's where I bought it and they always did good service. Something changed.
Time to look for better dealer close to home.

Thank you for reading.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,162 Posts
Sad you had a bad experience. That said, the fuel smell is unfortunately normal for this particular recall service because of how they have to access things. It's also the reason that they want the vehicle with a quarter tank or less of fuel when they do it so there is less sloshing, etc.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Sad you had a bad experience. That said, the fuel smell is unfortunately normal for this particular recall service because of how they have to access things. It's also the reason that they want the vehicle with a quarter tank or less of fuel when they do it so there is less sloshing, etc.
It would have helped if the dealership warned him to establish expectations.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Communication is a key and they clearly failed...
Assuming it is correct that the odor is unavoidable after the work is completed, they might have used a spray to take care of it and tell you in advance so you would be prepared. At least you would have known that they were aware of the odor and attempted to minimize the impact. Few businesses manage customer expectations at a high level. They may be technically proficient at the service but often this part of the training and management maturity is lacking. This shows up in every industry with most businesses (even the better ones).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,162 Posts
I had this performed yesterday/today. (they got behind and had it overnight) I have to say, they did a remarkable job of not permeating the cabin with fuel odor...there was barely a "whiff" when I took it back at the service department this afternoon. The service writer indicated they have the most problem with this when folks bring them in with too much fuel and they have to remove some. (Mine was smack at a quarter tank) She also said that Subaru has been communicating extra caution about this particular work to dealers...apparently some technician somewhere wasn't careful when removing some fuel and it got in the floor drain system of that dealership, headed downstream in the shop and caused some issues. I didn't catch the "what" there, but can only imagine. At any rate, I'm pleased with the work that my local service department did and they were also gracious enough to use more than one discount coupon for the other work I had scheduled. (Oil change and brake fluid change)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts