Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent when using the navigation the map will recalculate almost every minute, the voice comes on “recalculating” and gives the same route as it had before. This only occurs when in routing in a city.

I’ve looked at all the settings but can’t get it to not recalculate so often, very distracting for it come on every minute.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Haven't Found That Setting

I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent when using the navigation the map will recalculate almost every minute, the voice comes on “recalculating” and gives the same route as it had before. This only occurs when in routing in a city.

I’ve looked at all the settings but can’t get it to not recalculate so often, very distracting for it come on every minute.
This happened twice on our cross country trip, we used the nav continuously throughout the 8,000 mile trip with more than a hundred destinations stored in the Recents list. The first time was arriving in Phoenix during heavy rush hour traffic and the second time was 2 months later on the drive down to San Diego from LA in light traffic.

Both times I canceled the route, waited a while then entered a new route with voice commands because we were driving. That seemed to fix the problem both times.

When it happened it was driving me nuts with the constant "Recalculating" message!

The first time I thought it was trying to find a faster route because of the heavy stop and go traffic on the I10, but then it told me to take an exit then get right back on the highway, so I knew it had lost its brains. No idea why it happened when we were cruising down the 5 with no traffic.

Other than that, the nav worked pretty much flawlessly except that time it said we had reached our destination when we were in the center of an overpass above CA99 in Sacramento a half mile from Walmart.

·
Registered
38 Posts
While the new navigation system in the Ascent is WAY better than previous versions, I use the android auto google maps. I have noticed that this does do this still on occassion. Makes me wonder if it uses the cars GPS or the phones.

Does the recalculating occur in the same place? May be environmental influence. Does it happen when driving near frontage roads? Maybe lost (doesnt know which road it is on). Or not enough satellites to have an accurate lock (which is hard to believe) .

You only need 2 satellites to get a location lock. 3 for elevation accuracy. Usually there are 13 satellites in the sky at any given time. Devices almost always have 11 satellites linked.

I havent checked with the Ascent but I'm almost positive there should because screen that shows you GPS data. Confirm you are getting good connection to satellites first. If not, may be a defective receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts