Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2020 Ascent Limited that is pretty much optioned out as we like except I hate the color, black. My wife and I both like the white or blue.

So we've received, like many of you have, a nice trade in email from either Subaru or our dealer.

Are there any good reasons to upgrade? I can think of the following:
  • Lane centering vs Lane Keep Assist
  • Could get the Touring with the LCD rear mirror (useful when back to the roof with camping gear)
  • Just maybe get the dealer put 18" rims on it as part of the sale.
We like our white interior and I don't see that on the subaru build website, but maybe the warm Ivory is really what we have anyways.

Are there any other changes in a '21 that I'm missing.

Ahhh, you can't get Warm Ivory with a Touring so that's out...

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Having had a few 2021 loaners myself (an Outback and a Forester), and having read comments from others on here regarding LKA with LC vs. the standard LKA, I'd recommend taking a 2021 for a good long test drive (maybe even ask to borrow one of the dealership's loaner vehicles, so you don't put a bunch miles on an otherwise new car) and drive a lot of different scenarios with LC engaged, and see how you like it. I think it works pretty well on interstate highways with wide lanes where it keeps you pretty comfortably in the center of the lane. I found it did not work well on rural two-lane highways, where it seemed to favor the double-yellow centerline. It also took much more effort to correct the car when it was in LC mode. Our 2020 with LKA only takes just a gentle nudge of the wheel to override it, but the 2021 models with LC took much more effort to force the car out of what it wanted to do. I could not find a way to engage LKA without LC on the 2021 OB or Forester. Maybe there was a way and I just didn't know about it. I have come to like the LKA on our 2020 model...I don't use it as a "self-drive" feature, but rather to supplement the audible lane warnings if I do stray to one side or the other. I appreciate that LC presumably eliminates that and just keeps you in the middle already, but I personally thought there to be a few too many things in the implementation that need to be tweaked or adjusted before I'd find comfort in using it.

I love the Smart Rear View Mirror and use it All. The. Time. My wife and I are of different heights and we normally have to keep adjusting the rearview mirror when the other one drives, but this is a non-issue with the Smart mirror. We just leave it in "TV" mode all the time...mirror adjustment is completely unnecessary. We also use the power folding mirrors, the front camera, the cooled seats...much more frequently than we thought we would.

The Touring comes with the java brown or black interior in 2021. The ivory is available only on Limited and below (speaking US model nomenclature, here).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Ahhh, you can't get Warm Ivory with a Touring so that's out...
Correct. That puts you in a Limited. Touring is only available with the Java interior and black is also an option. (there may be exterior color limits on that...I don't know and didn't look) I would have preferred the lighter interior, honestly, but the Java has been fine and not all that different from the "saddle" interior I had on my previous vehicle.

As to whether or not a trade is good for you or not...you have to balance the financial impact vs the improved mood from additional features and a color you like. If you can strike a good deal on the new one as well as get a good trade-in value, then it might work out. Chances are, you'll still be absorbing some cost because of depreciation, no matter how glowing the deal is. Where you are with your financing on current, if any, and remaining balance also plays a role here.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,276 Posts
Chances are, you'll still be absorbing some cost because of depreciation, no matter how glowing the deal is.
Financial justification for trading in a car in the steepest portion of the depreciation curve will never be good. Some people just like to have the latest and greatest and losing money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moved to pricing? This isn't about pricing, this is about differences between a 2020 and 2021? Oh well, no big deal.

It really doesn't seem that there is a compelling reason to get a 2021 instead of the 2020 that's in our driveway.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Overall, it's pretty normal for there to be only very incremental differences as the model years progress, other than a little more feature ads that might come with a mid-cycle refresh. Otherwise, making a move is pretty much a subjective decision around things like color, higher trim level, etc., because financially it's not necessarily going to be a "good deal" because of how depreciation is so front-loaded on vehicles.

Reactions: NotThePainter

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you can wait a few more months you might get a better deal on a '21 when the mid cycle refresh comes out. In general I'm not a fan trading in a car for what is essentially an identical model ( ie not redesigned or updated significantly), But I do like the lane centering system on some of the loaners I've had.

Financially these decisions rarely make any sense, but if it makes you happier/safer, you can't put a price on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts