Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rearview camera at Crutchfield to put on my van (Jensen BUCAM300AJ) that includes a microphone. But I'll be selling the Sienna because my son and wife aren't interested in it as a gift. So I would like to install it on the back of our camper, a Casita Spirit Deluxe. I already have a camera there, but it doesn't include a microphone. It would be helpful when backing into a campsite if I could hear my wife over the car's speakers instead of hanging my head out the window or cranking up my hearing aids! This camera is on all the time so it also works like a rear view mirror while towing. I like that a lot!

Anyway, the Jensen setup would have the camera video on all the time transmitting via WiFi into an Amazon Fire tablet. Audio would be routed into an aux audio input on the radio. Can the Ascent do what I'm looking for? Actually my transmitter might not even support audio, but going wired wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
646 Posts
Are you asking if the Ascent can have an aux input? I think it's next to the usb charger so yes I believe. You could also opt for the ATT in car wifi if that helps things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I re-read my post I see I'm mixing up two solutions.

My current setup is video only, wirelessly to the tablet through a hotspot that the transmitter sets up.

When I bought the camera with microphone, Crutchfield suggested using the aux input for audio as you say. But that setup was assuming I was installing the camera in the Sienna, wired.

Now if I use the wireless system to the tablet for video, I'll also have to run a cable to the aux input for audio. It's a good suggestion to use the in car wifi. Maybe the tablet and camera transmitter can talk through it. A big problem with the Amazon fire is it doesn't remember the camera wifi so I have to set it all up again every time I use it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts