Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and was not able to find another discussion on this topic. Hopefully someone else has experienced this issue and can help with a solution.

I have a Limited with the automatic headlights. My garage is dark enough so that even in the daytime when I start my Ascent the headlights automatically come on. When the headlights come on the interior display lights for the gauges and head unit dim because the vehicle thinks it is dark outside. When I shift into reverse the rear camera display remains dim. The problem I have is that the dimmed rear camera display is very difficult to see once I've backed out into the sunlight. It takes awhile for the vehicle to adjust to the changing light conditions. Most often I'm almost completely backed out of my driveway before the headlights turn off and the rearview display returns to being bright. This means that my rearview camera is basically useless as I'm backing out of my driveway.

I could of course simply stop outside of my garage and wait for the headlights to turn off before backing the remaining distance down my driveway. I could also just operate the headlights manually so that they don't turn on automatically in the garage. But I don't think either of those solutions are desirable or practical.

I know the Ascent is capable of having the headlights on and also keeping the interior display lights/head unit bright. This is a great feature of the vehicle that often occurs at dawn or dusk.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow adjust a setting so that the rearview camera display is always bright regardless of whether or not the other interior display lights are dim? Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
No, sadly there's no way I've found to do this. It also affects the front view camera for those who have that. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue. I took the headlights off automatic and the Backup camera became bright And easy to see in the garage when put in reverse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've looked and was not able to find another discussion on this topic. Hopefully someone else has experienced this issue and can help with a solution.

I have a Limited with the automatic headlights. My garage is dark enough so that even in the daytime when I start my Ascent the headlights automatically come on. When the headlights come on the interior display lights for the gauges and head unit dim because the vehicle thinks it is dark outside. When I shift into reverse the rear camera display remains dim. The problem I have is that the dimmed rear camera display is very difficult to see once I've backed out into the sunlight. It takes awhile for the vehicle to adjust to the changing light conditions. Most often I'm almost completely backed out of my driveway before the headlights turn off and the rearview display returns to being bright. This means that my rearview camera is basically useless as I'm backing out of my driveway.

I could of course simply stop outside of my garage and wait for the headlights to turn off before backing the remaining distance down my driveway. I could also just operate the headlights manually so that they don't turn on automatically in the garage. But I don't think either of those solutions are desirable or practical.

I know the Ascent is capable of having the headlights on and also keeping the interior display lights/head unit bright. This is a great feature of the vehicle that often occurs at dawn or dusk.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow adjust a setting so that the rearview camera display is always bright regardless of whether or not the other interior display lights are dim? Thanks for any help.
I replaced my reverse light with led and it makes a whole lot difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts