Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me if the rear (hatchback) window is fixed or can it be opened separately from the door?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fixed. Only cars that I'm aware of that have a movable window are the 4Runner's. One thing I really wish the Subaru line had.

·
Registered
58 Posts
And, different car, different era, but my 2003 Toyota Matrix (which I sold to buy my Ascent) had a hatch window that opened separately from the door.

·
Registered
313 Posts
And, different car, different era, but my 2003 Toyota Matrix (which I sold to buy my Ascent) had a hatch window that opened separately from the door.
I was going to say the same thing, my 2006 Vibe has the rear hatch glass open independently (they ditched it on the '09 Vibe/Matrix update, which overall was a very poor refresh in my opinion). I don't call it a necessity, but a few times it has come in handy. I don't mind giving it up though, but it definitely is a preference thing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think that this is a option no one knows they wanted till they have it, it is very very useful.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That option certainly would save wear and tear on the lift gate mechanism. You would theoretically only have to open the lift gate maybe half as often or more or less.:grin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
My VW Touareg has a separate window and to do that well, and retain the quality feel the door has to be twice the construction in parts and weight. Our 2003 Ford Escape has a simple window and it feels and looks cheap, leaks and rattles to high heaven.

·
Registered
411 Posts
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee had it (all WJ's) it was useful except the struts kept going out. It was handy to put things in the back for sure without having to use the full tailgate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee had it (all WJ's) it was useful except the struts kept going out. It was handy to put things in the back for sure without having to use the full tailgate.

I have an '04 Grand Cherokee with it but rarely use it, really the only time I can remember is going to the drive in and it raining. +1 on the shocks needing replaced a few times but selling it when the Ascent arrives.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an '04 Grand Cherokee with it but rarely use it, really the only time I can remember is going to the drive in and it raining. +1 on the shocks needing replaced a few times but selling it when the Ascent arrives.

Same. How many miles are on your WJ? Currently im at 197,xxx with the 4.7. White Limited. I'm the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Can anyone please tell me if the rear (hatchback) window is fixed or can it be opened separately from the door?
Fixed. Only cars that I'm aware of that have a movable window are the 4Runner's. One thing I really wish the Subaru line had.
Yup fixed. It's something that I don't expect Subaru to have because most people don't immediately appreciates it.

Toyota is the only company that offers roll down/up windows on their Tundra and 4Runner. This is one of the reason why Toyota is still the number 1 car company in the world ... the devil is in the details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be trading a 2003 GMC Envoy which has the rear window that hinges up. I use it all the time for fishing and camping. Also convenient to put smaller stuff in the back when you don't want to open the door. Not a deal breaker, but it's just two hinges and some rubber. Never a problem with leaks or squeaks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same. How many miles are on your WJ? Currently im at 197,xxx with the 4.7. White Limited. I'm the 2nd owner.

Around 165Kish, outside of the dings from my wife backing into a mailbox or the garage it's in great shape and mechanically will go for another 100K with the 4.7 Black Freedom Edition. I've had it up and down the east coast and into Canada it's been a great vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor has this feature. I used to use it all the time until about a year ago the lift part went out and when I went to stick my head in it to grab a grocery bag, the **** thing came down and about decapitated me (ok maybe I'm exaggerating) but still. I haven't used that thing since. :sad:

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
1 Posts
My BMW 238i X-Drive Wagon the rear window open separate of the tail gate. Main reason I bought it over the Outback.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
^^ This feature used to be a lot more prevalent in SUVs, but a combination of cost control as well as safety factors has reduced the number of vehicles having it available substantially in recent years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts