Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m m checking no out the ascents in a dealership and wanted to know if anyone has any input about the durability of the fabric around the rear tires in the wheel well I’m think ice and snow can collect and rip it out due to its weight.
Thanks Andrew

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Yes to buildup, and they are lasting for me so far

Hi I’m m checking no out the ascents in a dealership and wanted to know if anyone has any input about the durability of the fabric around the rear tires in the wheel well I’m think ice and snow can collect and rip it out due to its weight.
Thanks Andrew
Hi Andrew,

BUILDUP
As with all cars built today that are fighting for EPA ratings and have limited clearance in the wheel well, you WILL experience ice/snow buildup under certain winter snow conditions. In times of really heavy accumulation, you will have to stop and clear out some snow, just like any other car, or it may impact ride quality as the wheel rubs on it during the micro-movements that are a part of the suspension reacting to the roads not being perfectly smooth.

Mine were Ceramic Pro coated, and I didn't notice any serious buildup during the last snow storm I drove through. Perhaps the coating worked as intended by preventing the snow from sticking as much. If that's the case, you don't even have to spend a fortune having a pro coat your car. Just buy the stuff yourself, and slap it on as per the instructions... if you mess it up a bit inside the wheel well, it won't really matter and won't really be noticeable. You could probably get the coating designed for cloth seats, plastic or vinyl (it's not the paint coating one you should use in the wheel wells).

Of course, if you decide to get the whole car done, I'd take it to someone who knows how.

DURABILITY
As for their durability, I've already tackled decently deep snow (7") and I've already done many trips on the beach and through very deep standing water, all without any issues whatsoever. I'm only 12,000 miles in, so, time will tell - but I can tell you that my 12K miles is the equivalent of multiple times that for "normal" drivers who aren't on the beach and off road as much - especially since I have beefy all terrains kicking things at the wheel wells on every drive.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I’m confused so the inside of all the rear wheel wells have a cloth fabric or a ceramic material?
Neither. Sorry for the confusion. The wheel well material seems to be some odd plastic composite material that has a fibrous texture.

"Ceramic Pro" is a ceramic coating used on vehicles. There are a number of others. All of the good brands make a different formulation for different parts of the car. In other words, one does not coat the leather seats or plastic pieces of the dash with the same one they coat the car's paint with.

So, if you do buy a ceramic coating to coat the insides of the wheel wells, because it's an odd fibrous plastic like material, I'd use the coating most closely designed for it.

Though this is what my car is coated in, I'm not suggesting you use this brand (there are other really good brands as well)... but, if you look on this page, you will see there's a different coating for different things, like I mentioned above.

https://www.ceramicpro.com/products/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts