Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched for "homelink" on my PC's Ascent Owner's Manual since I needed to program in my garage door openers. Started off with the first page: Took my laptop out to the car because I am instruction-challenged and started the process. It was nothing like the manual said -- there is a whole menu system built into the rear view mirror! (Yes, I should have read further in the manual.) However, with all of the help screens and the menu driven operation, programming the garage door openers was a breeze. Who even needs an Owner's Manual! Congratulations Subaru. (PS, this in on a Touring, not sure which trim levels do this, YMMV.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked my 2021 Ascent up a couple of days ago. Have not been successful in programming my Overhead Door
1000 Garage Door Unit to my new vehicle. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,475 Posts
Just picked my 2021 Ascent up a couple of days ago. Have not been successful in programming my Overhead Door
1000 Garage Door Unit to my new vehicle. Any suggestions?
First question... Do you know how many remote devices your garage door opener can be programmed for? My 28 years old Genie had a max of 7 devices. Between 3 cars, 3 pocket remotes and the wifi adapter, it wouldn't accept any more remotes. I had to clear the opener's memory and start over programming in the Ascent and the other needed remotes. No need for the car that was traded in to be programmed anymore. Once the memory was freed up, the Ascent programmed in just like the manual instructed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,397 Posts
Sometimes the old fashioned climb a ladder and press the program button on the garage door motor is necessary. Just like the handheld remote itself was programed. If you do this, make sure any other needed remotes still work.
Agree. While the Ascent's Homelink setup is "magical" sometimes...it was with our brand new Liftmaster jack-shaft opener...there is a bit of variability relative to programming remotes to individual garage door openers and some do have limits on the number of allowable remotes. Repeated programming of various vehicles over time and replacement opener devices can use up all the slots. Sometimes, it requires wiping all the remotes and re-programming from scratch. (which also means you need all of the remote devices, including vehicles, present for the reprogramming.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
170 Posts
Mind if I pass on a funny Homelink story? Programming the Homelink button on my Kia K900 required the old fashioned way - climbing the ladder, pressing the program button, then pressing the Homelink button on the car. Worked fine. But for the next week, my neighbor would call me when I wasn't home to tell me my garage door was open. I knew I closed it - I would normally watch the door close before driving away. Well, it turns out that the very neighbor who was calling me was "the problem". At the moment I was programming the Homelink button in my car, my neighbor arrived home and pressed his Homelink button as he passed my driveway. He unwittingly programmed his Homelink button to my door while it still opened his. I finally figured it out one morning when I was outside when he left for the day and closed his garage door and I saw mine open.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Agree. While the Ascent's Homelink setup is "magical" sometimes...it was with our brand new Liftmaster jack-shaft opener...there is a bit of variability relative to programming remotes to individual garage door openers and some do have limits on the number of allowable remotes. Repeated programming of various vehicles over time and replacement opener devices can use up all the slots. Sometimes, it requires wiping all the remotes and re-programming from scratch. (which also means you need all of the remote devices, including vehicles, present for the reprogramming.
Correct Jim,in some instances the Homelink can be finicky.Deleting all devices should solve most issues with linking up.Had to do this when we moved last year and as a fellow member mentioned a good old fashioned ladder climb to get to the learn button might be needed.
This reminds me,I really do miss my garage door opener with wifi connection.Ever have one of those days when you can’t remember closing the garage door 🥴

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
This reminds me,I really do miss my garage door opener with wifi connection.Ever have one of those days when you can’t remember closing the garage door 🥴
It's easy to forget something like that and now that we live "in town", it could be a more serious security issue. While the notifications can be "mildly annoying" if I'm opening/closing frequently, such as getting a tool or materials when working on a project in the backyard, (the garage is my temporary shop at present), the fact that the system has status available insures that it's front and center when I go to set the alarm at night since MyQ ties into my RING app. I'd also never go back to a more traditional opener that's in the middle of the ceiling...the jackshaft unit is out of the way, really efficient and uber quiet. None of that chain/screw banging and with the door properly lubricated, it's virtually silent when opening and closing. (which is another reason having the notifications is a good thing!)

Reactions: Luis Padilla

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Yea, I have a cam in there, too...'cause it's my temporary shop, not a "garage". LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, I feel lazy. Our Premium has the dealer-installed auto-dim/compass/garage door mirror...and we've never bothered to program it. It's been 2-1/2 years. Then again, we don't park in the garage, so it's not been top of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.