Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm noticing that the rear vent in my 2019 Forester does not have a speed control, but it just operates at a single speed and temperature changes. Does the Ascent have a control for rear/second row ventilation speed, and if so, is this part of the dual-zone climate control or is this available on non-dual zone trims?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm noticing that the rear vent in my 2019 Forester does not have a speed control, but it just operates at a single speed and temperature changes. Does the Ascent have a control for rear/second row ventilation speed, and if so, is this part of the dual-zone climate control or is this available on non-dual zone trims?

Thanks
I just watched a couple of Subaru's YouTube videos on the Forester and Ascent climate controls. The Forester has dual-zone, while the Ascent has tri-zone. Fan speed and temp can be set individually for each zone.

I'm not sure what determines the rear fan speed in the Forester. Does it increase when you increase the speed in the front row?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks
I just watched a couple of Subaru's YouTube videos on the Forester and Ascent climate controls. The Forester has dual-zone, while the Ascent has tri-zone. Fan speed and temp can be set individually for each zone.
Just to clarify, because this came up in a magazine review, where the reviewer got it wrong:
The Ascents with tri-zone heating and cooling have Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear. The magazine mistakenly indicated each row was a zone.

The DIFFERENCE in the Ascents is that the Base has no rear controls for the third zone, but is still tri-zone heating and cooling.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so you can exclusively control the speed of the rear blower along with temperature in Premium and higher?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Ok, so you can exclusively control the speed of the rear blower along with temperature in Premium and higher?
Or from the front panel for the Base.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. Seems like such a trivial feature, but passenger comfort is really important on my priority list.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Yes*

*the rear fan can be controlled either by the driver/passenger or from the second row controls. The rear fan speed and temperature setting is independent of the front fan speed and temperature but the AC operation is dependent on AC selected up front.
Also, the driver and passenger side share fan speed but have separate temperature controls

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there

The Ascent is the first vehicle I've had which had rear controls that made sense. I'm never guessing if its getting hot or cold back there for the kids since its all adjustable by the driver with clear info displayed about what setting its on. And the fact that I can lock the kids' controls in the second row helps because they love to mess with buttons!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes*

*the rear fan can be controlled either by the driver/passenger or from the second row controls. The rear fan speed and temperature setting is independent of the front fan speed and temperature but the AC operation is dependent on AC selected up front.
Also, the driver and passenger side share fan speed but have separate temperature controls
Thank you for this clear explanation! The lack of rear AC control seems like major miss to me! How can they describe the Ascent as having rear climate control if you can’t independently have the AC on and when having the temp set to low and fan at full power in the back produces only moderately cool air??? My husband and I were driving yesterday, and I was sitting in the back. I had the back temp set at LO and fan at max speed but noticed the air wasn’t coming out very cold EXCEPT when my husband had Max AC on in the front, and as a result I was way too hot (he likes to be warm so didn’t want the AC in the front on). It was probably only 80 degrees out. If anyone has found a good workaround for having AC on in the back and NOT the front (maybe I’m missing something in terms of settings?) please post it here!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Turn on AC (control up front, but is for both front and back). Have the temp as low as you want in back. Have temp as high as he wants in front.

My wife and I do this all the time, but it's a front-left front-right difference. AC is on, I have driver's side set to 67, and she has passenger side set to 74. We joke that on a humid day, it might start raining in the middle.

F.S.

Edit: Just saw that you wrote Max AC to get cooling in the back. This is not my experience with our Touring. Regular AC (any mode, with AC button lit up) will result in nicely cool air at any zone's vent if the zone's temp is set below [some temp -- IME probably what the cabin sensor is picking up as "the cabin temp."]. For me, I don't need Max Cool up front to make this happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
^^ what he said

Just because the AC is on doesnt mean it has to be cold up front.
Turn the front temperature up and down as needed; you can even have heat coming out of the front vents with the AC running if you choose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts