Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I were driving home from Costco tonight and while stopped at a red light heard screeching brakes behind us. Lady almost rear ended us. She gets out of her car and berates me for not having any tail lights on. And sure enough, no tail lights. When I got home I checked the tail lights while light switch was in both Auto and On positions. Head lights and brake lights both work but no tail lights. We just got this car in end of December. 2021 Limited Ascent with 700 miles. Probably been like this since day one. Going to dealership first thing. Happy to still be alive. Other than that it's a great car. Lol. Check your tail light operation.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Probably the micro switch affiliated with the brake pedal has gone bad.Definitely get it checked and thank god nothing happened .

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
You were stopped at a light -- so the way I read this, you had BOTH no taillights AND no brake lights either? That is indeed awfully strange! Can you reproduce the behavior at home in your garage?

Edit: I read later in your post that brake lights do work -- I wonder why the lady couldn't see you stopped at the light.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
I hope they find and fix the problem for you. Keep us posted.
On the flip side you wouldn’t have been wrong to berate the lady right back for not realizing she should probably slow down when the object in front of her is increasing in size, tail lights or not. There’s also the red light to consider — most people stop for those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were stopped at a light -- so the way I read this, you had BOTH no taillights AND no brake lights either? That is indeed awfully strange! Can you reproduce the behavior at home in your garage?

Edit: I read later in your post that brake lights do work -- I wonder why the lady couldn't see you stopped at the light.
Well it was a left hand turn lane that usually takes a couple minutes. I usually shift to neutral and may have let off the brake. I did take it the local Rockford, Illinois dealership. The service advisor had me demonstrate the problem. I started the car, turned the lights to "On" and stepped out of the car and walked to the rear with the advisor. When I reached the rear of the car the tail lights came on. She says the lights are working fine and they can't fix them if they're working. I said they just came on after about five seconds. Switch is in "On" not" Auto" position. She says I'll have to make an appointment. So I did. I'd think they would jump all over a safety issue like this. So now I have a brand new car that I'm afraid to drive at night. Nothing much we can do but document, document and document. Thank you for your feedback Robert.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
If the rear lights had a delay before they came on, after you moved the switch to ON, that's a certain fault...somewhere. Either a loose connection at the switch or something with a body control module somewhere...something. Those rear lights should absolutely be on if the switch is on manual ON.

I hope they get it figured out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the rear lights had a delay before they came on, after you moved the switch to ON, that's a certain fault...somewhere. Either a loose connection at the switch or something with a body control module somewhere...something. Those rear lights should absolutely be on if the switch is on manual ON.

I hope they get it figured out!
Thanks. Me too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
...it was a left hand turn lane that usually takes a couple minutes. I usually shift to neutral...
The AVH feature comes in handy in situations like this, and I believe it keeps the brake lights on. It's great that you weren't rear ended though. I had that experience a couple of months ago while stopped at a red light. It was minor but it's no fun for anybody involved.

·
Registered
497 Posts
As far as the lights go, make a video with your phone to document. No need to prove the problem at the dealership if you have hard evidence this is happening at least sporadically. Getting the problem documented by the dealership service department is a very good idea. Puts them in the liability chain if you ever are involved in an accident.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the lights go, make a video with your phone to document. No need to prove the problem at the dealership if you have hard evidence this is happening at least sporadically. Getting the problem documented by the dealership service department is a very good idea. Puts them in the liability chain if you ever are involved in an accident.
Great idea! I'm going to do just that. Thank you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, document whatever you can until you get the car back in to the dealer.

As an aside, does the limited have the car icon which lights up the taillights when the brakes are on, or if the ACC is slowing down? Just curious if the dash graphic is functioning properly even if the taillights are not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, document whatever you can until you get the car back in to the dealer.

As an aside, does the limited have the car icon which lights up the taillights when the brakes are on, or if the ACC is slowing down? Just curious if the dash graphic is functioning properly even if the taillights are not.
I've never seen it. I'll verify that tomorrow though. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts