Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
When our 2019 Ascent was parked in the garage I closed the driver door and the passenger side middle seat window literally exploded. Has anyone else had this happen?
I can not recall anyone posting this on the forum. Very bizarre. Maybe something had hit it before without anyone noticing and this took it to the breaking point.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Very strange indeed. Sounds like there was some outside factor involved, though you may never figure out what it was. I’m assuming nobody was injured by falling glass?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That is a strange thing to happen. I would have the dealer check the “vents“ (I don’t know what they are really called) that are supposed to release the pressure that builds up when you shut a door. The shutting of your door can build up pressure inside the car for just an instant and cause strange things like this to happen.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
When our 2019 Ascent was parked in the garage I closed the driver door and the passenger side middle seat window literally exploded. Has anyone else had this happen?
I believe that glass window is tempered. Tempered glass can withstand abuse but it stresses under that abuse. It may not actually crack at the time of an impact but the stress is there in the glass and the next time something occurs to add on stress the glass sometimes will crack. The window must have been hit and you never knew it. I certainly do not inspect each window before I drive off. While I'm sure you did not slam the door hard, it was enough to add to the existing stress and crack the window. The edges of tempered glass is also the must vulnerable part.

1. There is a chance that there was a material defect (nickel sulfide impurities in the glass) internally to that piece glass during manufacturing.
  2. The window may have been binding in the frame which caused the glass to not have enough room to expand with heat.
If you still have the broken glass you may be able to tell if this inclusion existed (see link for explanation). SOA may be willing to assist on the repair or just go through your insurance.

"This composite photo shows relative sizes of two nickel sulfide inclusions at left next to an average-sized grain of table salt on the right. The upper NiS inclusion measured .076 mm and the lower NiS inclusion measured .113 mm in diameter, making it what some Wisconsinites might call a “lunker”

·
Registered
771 Posts
That looks like tempered glass.

I was under the impression that all of our glass, with the exception of the third row, was laminated? I know there's been some back-and-forth about this.

That definitely looks like tempered glass and how it "shatters into million pieces."

I wonder if the window/door frame was flexed at some point, or if there was something else at-play...perhaps a piece of really sharp, really strong material (ceramic, etc.) lodged in the window channel at some point? Or an inclusion during manufacturing, or binding in the frame, both as packout noted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tempered glass "spontaneously" breaking is a thing. Rare, but it happens. Only reason I put spontaneous in quotes is because it's much less spontaneous than we realize, there's always a reason, just usually undetectable until it actually happens. You'll hear about this happening at times in the home; sliding doors, large windows etc.

I'm sure Subaru will make it right for you.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That looks like tempered glass.

I was under the impression that all of our glass, with the exception of the third row, was laminated? I know there's been some back-and-forth about this.

That definitely looks like tempered glass and how it "shatters into million pieces."
It's a "T" marked glass - tempered. I definitely got the wrong information from somewhere/someone at some time! :)

Guess a window-breaker can go back there. :D

Now to practice working my fat butt back there......... ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts