Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, does the cigarette lighter plug by the rear lift-gate not stay on at all times with the ignition? I want to put a dash cam in the rear window and thought that would be the logical place to plug it in. If it isn’t on permanently where would be a good place to tap into?
Thanks in advance
SA

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
Does the dashcam you have/are considering have the feature that will turn itself off if no motion is detected though it still has power?
Most dashcams turn on and off with the ignition so as not to drain the battery

Personally, I got more value out of having my rear facing cam powered from my front cam, which is powered by a fuse tap that goes on/off with the ignition. My rear cam is close to the front cam and captures the interior of the vehicle as well as out the side and back windows.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, i tested it this evening while driving and it turned off after about 30 seconds multiple times. I might try what you suggest though...

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
I ran a 12 volt extension cord from the back outlet to the front and have my dash camera plugged into it. It stays on the whole time the ignition is on. I use the 12v plug under the radio for a blue light so needed the extra. If yours keeps shutting off, maybe the plug is not sitting tight enough or the vibration is working it loose?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I had tried to see if vibes were a factor and it still did it while parked and only accessories on. Upon further reading of the camera manual, it appears to have been a setting which i will try to change when the Mrs. gets home.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
Another thought......my dash cam goes "dark" after a minute or so. It's still working but I can't see the display as I can when it first turns on. I guess it works that way so it doesn't distract you while driving. Maybe that is what is happening and you are thinking the power is being lost?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts