Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that outlet always hot?

Plan on leaving a fridge back there, and if there’s a clean way to run a flexible solar panel into the cab it will be in there running 24/7

·
Registered
36 Posts

Plan on leaving a fridge back there, and if there’s a clean way to run a flexible solar panel into the cab it will be in there running 24/7
Pretty sure it turns off with the ignition. Check page 295 of the main Owner's Manual. Hope this helps. -Karen in AZ-

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts

I'd recommend you set up a separate battery if you intend to run a 12 volt fridge 24/7. Car batteries aren't really designed for deep discharge cycles. It won't be much fun having to replace the battery frequently and not being able to start the engine when the fridge draws it too low. There are lithium based batteries which weight about 1/4 as much as lead based batteries. They are expensive though. You'd probably want sufficient battery to cover 2-3 days even with the solar. Bear in mind that you will also need to figure out a way to ventilate the car. The refrigerators put out a good bit of heat and short out if the ambient temperature is too high. If you're keeping it in the sun (for the panel to work), most likely it will be too hot inside for the fridge to run - unless you keep the windows open.

I'm wondering why you'd want to have a fridge running 24/7 in your ascent? A much simpler solution would be a good ice box like Yeti or Rtic - you could use gallon jugs of water to freeze with the home freezer and swap these out every few days.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I'd recommend you set up a separate battery if you intend to run a 12 volt fridge 24/7. Car batteries aren't really designed for deep discharge cycles. It won't be much fun having to replace the battery frequently and not being able to start the engine when the fridge draws it too low. There are lithium based batteries which weight about 1/4 as much as lead based batteries. They are expensive though. You'd probably want sufficient battery to cover 2-3 days even with the solar. Bear in mind that you will also need to figure out a way to ventilate the car. The refrigerators put out a good bit of heat and short out if the ambient temperature is too high. If you're keeping it in the sun (for the panel to work), most likely it will be too hot inside for the fridge to run - unless you keep the windows open.

I'm wondering why you'd want to have a fridge running 24/7 in your ascent? A much simpler solution would be a good ice box like Yeti or Rtic - you could use gallon jugs of water to freeze with the home freezer and swap these out every few days.
Thanks. I have done a few of these setups on expedition and #vanlife builds. My personal one runs with a 100ah lifeline AGM and 100 watt panel on a MPPT charger.
Been keeping drinks ice cold through hot summers in Southern California for 4 years now, with V12.6-12.7 in the morning before the sun goes up. Around 9am it gets power from the sun again

This time I’m going with an isolated lithium 50ah battleborn battery. CTEK D250S charger and a 100watt flexible panel. You won’t see the panel unless you’re 6’5” since it’s 1/8” thick

These 12v danfoss fridges can keep things frozen inside a hot vehicle in the Aussie Outback, they just draw more power. Max about 50ah/day, but since it’s getting sun all day I just really need the battery to get me through the night. And since it’s cooler it runs a lot less using maybe 10-20ah

Why....once you have a fridge in the car it’s hard to go without. I did it because I got tired of swapping ice packs

There is no ROI, just like having cold drinks in the car and a place to store market purchases without having to rush home. Ice would take up too much space and leave things soggy.

Rotate between a small dometic CF-18 (daily) for a few red bulls, Gatorade, water and snacks and ARB50 qt (camping) for a long weekends worth of food and drinks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Pretty sure it turns off with the ignition. Check page 295 of the main Owner's Manual. Hope this helps. -Karen in AZ-
Thanks! Looks like I’ll be running a dedicated 12v supply off the aux battery

·
Registered
28 Posts
It sounds like you have a lot more experience with this than I assumed with your original question. These issues come up a lot on a camping forum that follow - how to keep the batteries charged enough to run the fridge all the time. It typically requires parking in a sunny spot which isn't always the best thing for camping.

I've gotten used to just drinking coffee in the morning and ice water all day. In fact I bought a six pack of some fancy Italian soda water before moving into our new office 4 years ago. Still haven't finished the six pack. With the great advances in the double walled steel cups and bottles, it's so easy now to keep ice water for over 24 hours - I forget that keeping drinks cold can be a challenge if it's not water.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you have a lot more experience with this than I assumed with your original question. These issues come up a lot on a camping forum that follow - how to keep the batteries charged enough to run the fridge all the time. It typically requires parking in a sunny spot which isn't always the best thing for camping.

I've gotten used to just drinking coffee in the morning and ice water all day. In fact I bought a six pack of some fancy Italian soda water before moving into our new office 4 years ago. Still haven't finished the six pack. With the great advances in the double walled steel cups and bottles, it's so easy now to keep ice water for over 24 hours - I forget that keeping drinks cold can be a challenge if it's not water.
No problem! I’ve read them as well, mostly using thermoelectric energy hungry fridges that don’t freeze.

Yup have double walled everything for water, can’t remeber the last time I bought a case
of water for myself now that I have a water filter.

I also use it as a base station for my location photoshoots. An always hot rear outlet with solar will allow me to charge my MacBook, camera, drone, gimbal, etc while it’s parked so I can swap. Having a cold drink/beer after a long shoot is ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts