Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Very nice!

Were you able to document what wires you tapped and how you installed it? I have it sitting in the garage, but havent installed it yet. Still trying to find a good way to wire it.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
Very nice!

Were you able to document what wires you tapped and how you installed it? I have it sitting in the garage, but havent installed it yet. Still trying to find a good way to wire it.
It just plugs into the side light wiring. It comes with a harness that goes in between the light and the existing built-in harness.

You do need to extend two of the wires, since the Forester is smaller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Subispeed video is great. There are a few different locations for screws but the order is the same.
I have included the pictures in order of my disassembly for reference. Helps me to see where the clips are.
I did not need to add any extra wire. Everything fit with no problems. On the ascent the wires run to the driver side instead of passenger on the Forester.

Top and sides pop off. Main panel on the tailgate is secured by screws behind the handle and two (one on each side)screw nuts(you can see one in picture 4 by my hand).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More Images

Here are the switch wiring pictures. I wired it to have the switch mirror the function of the LED(ie..off=off)

Hopefully you can see the colors of the wires in the above image. Wiring for the light are at the top. Left side goes to car and right side goes to the LED.

I included a picture of the switch I got on amazon and the wiring diagram. I used the setup the same as it is shown here.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help.

Light and switch work great!

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dusted off the LED, rewatched the subispeed install video and noticed that I dont have a connector on the harness. @chopath or anyone who has the LED - would you mind confirming that your harnesses had connectors that connected the 2 together? Thank you!

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Realized the missing connector is still connected to the other harness.... ?‍♂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea......forgot about that! I was missing it too.
I really wanted to install it so I just soldered them together and covered it with shrink tubing. I never bothered to contact them but I imagine they would send it to you if you did.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Turns out it's just clipped onto other harness. I wonder why they didnt bother connecting it to the right harness?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just installed the light. Big thank you to @chopath for the photos. Saved me a bunch of time.

I think the most difficult part was trying to put back the main panel on the hatch. I'm pretty sure I bend a clip and it isn't aligned properly. But oh well.

There was plenty of length so adding additional wire to extend the harness was not needed.

There is definitely a significant improvement with lighting in the trunk. Worthwhile investment imo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi chopath, great job on that switch and thanks for posting it, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it! Pretty sure I could work it from the pics. but the red and blue going to the light are they red to red and blue to X? or are the red and blue tied together and going to whatever that wire is on the light itself. Looks like it's red?

Thanks again for the idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Red and blue on my switch were wired together to the red on the light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The standard rear trunk area light on the Ascent has to be the worst design element in the vehicle. Whatever idiot thought that light was a good idea should be pelted with empties.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The standard rear trunk area light on the Ascent has to be the worst design element in the vehicle. Whatever idiot thought that light was a good idea should be pelted with empties.
I can not even imagine any Subaru meeting in which this design topic came up and everyone raised their hand saying yes, what a wonderful approach. Maybe they handed off the design to the mail office person and never looked back. I would expect that it will be upgraded in the revision. Why wouldn't they simply have a highly functional light that can be dimmed? Us Subaru owners actually use these vehicles for more than going here and there.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I installed the Subispeed lift gate LED and it was a huge disappointment. The light does not shine well into the cargo compartment, it mostly shines on the ground with the liftgate open. Not a good design. It also has the design flaw of being in back of you as you stand in front of the gate, which blocks much of the light.

When installing this mod, you need to remove the upper trim piece in the rear cargo area, it pops right off. As I was doing this I thought why not simply mount a dome light right here. It would then shine directly into the interior and not behind it.

So after a quick Amazon search, I found this:

This LED dome light fits perfectly on the Ascent's cargo area upper trim piece and mounts to it very easily using simple bracket and some screws. Once this is done, simply run a pair of wires to the OEM light as the Subispeed mod does. Add an inline fuse holder, then tap into the OEM wires using a couple of these, and you're done.

The resulting light was far better than the Subispeed mod and shines directly where you need it, and the cost and installation complexity is considerably less. The light looks great, almost OEM, and no wires are showing. It turns on and off automatically as you open/close the liftgate. It even has a switch should you want to turn it off manually.

I've been using this now for over a year and it works perfectly. It lights the cargo area like it was daytime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed the Subispeed lift gate LED and it was a huge disappointment. The light does not shine well into the cargo compartment, it mostly shines on the ground with the liftgate open. Not a good design. It also has the design flaw of being in back of you as you stand in front of the gate, which blocks much of the light.

When installing this mod, you need to remove the upper trim piece in the rear cargo area, it pops right off. As I was doing this I thought why not simply mount a dome light right here. It would then shine directly into the interior and not behind it.

So after a quick Amazon search, I found this:

This LED dome light fits perfectly on the Ascent's cargo area upper trim piece and mounts to it very easily using simple bracket and some screws. Once this is done, simply run a pair of wires to the OEM light as the Subispeed mod does. Add an inline fuse holder, then tap into the OEM wires using a couple of these, and you're done.

The resulting light was far better than the Subispeed mod and shines directly where you need it, and the cost and installation complexity is considerably less. The light looks great, almost OEM, and no wires are showing. It turns on and off automatically as you open/close the liftgate. It even has a switch should you want to turn it off manually.

I've been using this now for over a year and it works perfectly. It lights the cargo area like it was daytime.
I took your idea and made a simpler version since I couldn’t find the proper wiring for install. I have a tow hitch as well so there were a lot of extra harnesses and wiring I didn’t want to mess with.
So I did this instead.
I took off the side cargo light and connected the wiring into the small brown harness already in place then just stuck it to the side with the enclosed sticky pads. This way it won’t wake up sleeping kids either by shining overhead. I may switch it later but seems good for now. Thanks for the links

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I decided to switch out the lights. I didn’t like how bulky it was on the side Also, if I glanced at the light, it impaired my vision for a moment. It was hard not to look at the light since it was lower and on the side. So I decided to go with this setup instead. It’s no larger than a dime (11mm).

I was able to drill a 3/8” hole in the top plastic liner and wire it through to the same spot (to the original cargo light). I had to add 8” of wire to the light so it could reach. It looks factory installed now. It’s tiny and unobtrusive as well and only cost $10 on Amazon. I flipped the switch off for the factory light so it doesn’t draw any power to that light but still provides power to the new light.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
So if it's wired in before the side light switch, when does it go on and off? Is there any control over it going on and off?
I know the rear dome lights go on and off with the doors, but if you press on one and switch it on, it will stay on forever, draining the battery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts