Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Very nice!

Were you able to document what wires you tapped and how you installed it? I have it sitting in the garage, but havent installed it yet. Still trying to find a good way to wire it.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Very nice!

Were you able to document what wires you tapped and how you installed it? I have it sitting in the garage, but havent installed it yet. Still trying to find a good way to wire it.
It just plugs into the side light wiring. It comes with a harness that goes in between the light and the existing built-in harness.

You do need to extend two of the wires, since the Forester is smaller.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Subispeed has a great video how to install on the Forester. Do the Ascent panels come off the same way?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Subispeed video is great. There are a few different locations for screws but the order is the same.
I have included the pictures in order of my disassembly for reference. Helps me to see where the clips are.
I did not need to add any extra wire. Everything fit with no problems. On the ascent the wires run to the driver side instead of passenger on the Forester.

Top and sides pop off. Main panel on the tailgate is secured by screws behind the handle and two (one on each side)screw nuts(you can see one in picture 4 by my hand).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More Images

Here are the switch wiring pictures. I wired it to have the switch mirror the function of the LED(ie..off=off)

Hopefully you can see the colors of the wires in the above image. Wiring for the light are at the top. Left side goes to car and right side goes to the LED.

I included a picture of the switch I got on amazon and the wiring diagram. I used the setup the same as it is shown here.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help.

Light and switch work great!

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dusted off the LED, rewatched the subispeed install video and noticed that I dont have a connector on the harness. @chopath or anyone who has the LED - would you mind confirming that your harnesses had connectors that connected the 2 together? Thank you!

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Realized the missing connector is still connected to the other harness.... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea......forgot about that! I was missing it too.
I really wanted to install it so I just soldered them together and covered it with shrink tubing. I never bothered to contact them but I imagine they would send it to you if you did.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just installed the light. Big thank you to @chopath for the photos. Saved me a bunch of time.

I think the most difficult part was trying to put back the main panel on the hatch. I'm pretty sure I bend a clip and it isn't aligned properly. But oh well.

There was plenty of length so adding additional wire to extend the harness was not needed.

There is definitely a significant improvement with lighting in the trunk. Worthwhile investment imo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts