Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just added the Rigd UltraSwing Spare Tire Carrier to our Ascent, which is awesome, but now we have two new challenges:

1. We needed to move our License plate, and I just learned that license plates have need to have a light when driving in the dark (CA State law). Does anyone know how to add an additional license plate light? Is there another Subaru model that might have similar wiring?

Ideally, we'd like to make it easy to add/remove the additional light since we won't always have this spare tire carrier in the hitch. Is it possible to make this plug and play?

2. We'd like to be able to move the rear camera or add an additional one. I'm thinking a wireless camera would be ideal since we could be switching out our hitch-mounted setups. I've seen other threads hear on rear cameras, but if there's a new consensus on the best approach for the Ascent, I figured I'd ask again here.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
If you are not towing something, you can take power off the trailer power plugs near the hitch receiver to power an auxiliary light for the relocated plate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Jim_in_PA and xydadx3 for your help. I was wondering if the trailer plug would be a viable option but I wasn't sure.

And thank you for the light recommendation, xydadx3. That looks perfect.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call up RIGd and ask them. They must have experienced it before.
They do have a video on running after-market license plate lights on a 4Runner. They opted to connect directly into the 4Runner's lighting harness instead of using the 7-pin, though. That's more involved and not as modular than we want.

I need to talk with them about a couple of other issues I've run into, so maybe they can offer an alternative solution then.

Turns out the stock Ascent wheels don't sit flush on the mount - probably because of the 55mm offset. I'll be needing a wheel spacer, I think.

And the lug bolts don't have the same thread pitch as the Ascent's lug bolts. Small detail, but I almost bought a set of wheel locks that weren't going to fit.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I am using a simple stereo jack plug, put in line with the existing license plate lights. When I plug in the external lights, the ones on the liftgate are switched off, and power is redirected to the ones on the plate.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
LED ones that screw in as replacements to the plate bolts. Pics to follow when I'm done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts