Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Rear Ladder for Ascent finally here!

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  demonsavatar 
#1 ·
I have been searching for awhile to find a ladder option that wouldn’t require drilling or adding heavy bumpers etc. NashFabCo (I have no affiliation just admiration!) has made one that looks so sharp: 19-22 Subaru Ascent | NashFabCo
I wanted to let this community know as I am certain this will appeal to at least a few. Now, I need save my Christmas pennies so I can make a follow up post on how amazing it is. There is a 10% off code mentioned on their Insta page for the first week of sale (now!): ‘Ascent10’
Merry Christmas everyone!

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

See less See more
#8 ·
Appears to be top and bottom of the hatch, but with the hatch closed, the bottom is also supported by the top of the bottom of the hatch opening. (say that three times fast... :D )

• Haha
Reactions: Hankdog
#11 ·
From the pics, it looks like the top hooks onto either side of the hinge which should be a reinforced area. The bottom has some type of protectant film. It would be interesting if the bottom protector reinforces the sheet metal against deflection. When I worked in aerospace I saw a demo of a 3m film whitch could prevent dents in sheet metal. They applied it on the hood of the car and hit the hood with a hammer and it didn't get any dents.

#13 ·
Just Google ‘Rear hatch ladder for Toyota’ and look at all of the various version of this style ladder that have been in production for years. The concept is not new. What is new is that someone is now manufacturing one for a Subaru Ascent. There have been a few built for the Forester and even the Cross Trek. I can’t wait to see how it performs. I have a platform roof rack that I am putting on the factory rails and this is the perfect way to get up there. It is also removable for when I want to take it off.

#14 ·
Just curious if there’s any update or users of the rear ladder (NashFabCo) or similar. I’ve had some struggles in the past loading roof items, cargo boxes, bikes, Aunt Edna (Vacation). I’ll admit it may be for a more rugged look until I build a traffic control tower up top. Thanks!

#15 ·
We went this route for our first option, we grabbed two so we wouLd NOT have to keep moving 1 from door to door, driver side to paSsanger side, worked okay. I can teLL you that the back of any rack/basket wiLL be hard to reach from the side rear door and the back hatch Leaves LittLe to zero stepping room from that Location. ReaLLy digg the Ladder Look though, so we have some saving and researching to do before we move forward to this modification!

-CHEERSnHAPPYADVENTURING-
Outerwear Motor vehicle Product Vehicle Automotive tire

#17 ·
Hood Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Gas

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I had time to install the NashFabCo hatch ladder this past weekend and it was surprisingly easy. I added a little extra double sided tape to pad the top bracket but was an easy install. After getting the top bracket secured, I needed to work with the bottom bracket to find the correct placement to align the bracket and ladder base. It is very secure and solid! Very excited to have a way to get to the rack now. I just need to get my platform (swine flooring) secured to the 8020 bars. The ladder will make it easy to get up there for sure!

#19 ·
I've had mine on about 2 months now. Its... ok.

1. It does look awesome. I've gotten a few compliments on it. It curves with the shape of the ascent, so it looks like it belongs.

2. It has no problem holding my weight (about 200lb). From what I can see, when standing on it the majority of your weight is pushed downward onto the mounting bracket on top (essentially right on to the hinge of the hatch, which I would think is the sturdiest part) and a portion is pushed inward at the bottom mounting bracket. When climbing, your weight pulls outward. Again the majority seems to be pulling on the hinge, and some pulls from the bottom bracket. I do think that over time, the bottom of the hatch will deform where the in/out pressure is being applied.

3.The bottom rung is about 36" off the ground. I can't exactly step right on to it. I've been propping up on the hitch or using a step stool to get up (I'm 5'8"). Not exactly elegant.

4. It sticks out about 7.5" from the rear at its max, and 2" on top

5. It blocks the rear wiper from swinging outward for replacement

6. While the top mounting bracket is permanent, the ladder itself is not. It can be easily removed if needed (like to replace the rear wiper)

7. It does show up on the rear camera.

8. Only 1 foot fits on a single rung at a time.

9. You can reach more than halfway across the roof when up there.

10.this is the biggest thing to note. THE HATCH DOES NOT STAY OPEN WITH THE LADDER ON! I got the CNC cut side rails, NOT the Square Tube side rails like @Mojay101 has, so that may be the reason. I initially installed in the winter and thought the cold air made the hatch pistons weaker, but alas in 70+ degree weather I still have the same problem. The hatch does open all the way on its own, but the weight of the ladder causes it to slowly close then the sensor goes off and the motor closes the hatch. If I stop and hold the hatch after opening, it will fall about 6" and I can kind of balance it where it stays open. But its now 6" lower and if you touch it it closes on its own again.
If I had to guess, the CNC ladder weighs more than the Tube ladder.

Side story: So I may have forgotten to tell my wife about this after I installed it. She opens the hatch, it goes up, then the sensor sends it back down onto her, then the obstruction sensor sends it back up, where the sensor sends it back down on her, then it goes back up then back down. And now I'm in trouble because the ascent tried to eat my wife.

This is the underside of the top mounting bracket (left) and bottom bracket (right) The double sided tape come pre-attached.
Motor vehicle Yellow Asphalt Road surface Wood

This is the bottom of the ladder WITHOUT the bottom bracket attached. It just sits up against the hatch (it is cushioned).
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

The bottom bracket wraps around and inside of the panel. It's attached with 2 bolts.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Wood Font Tree Plant Terrestrial plant
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Road surface Nail
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Textile Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood
Light Gadget Gas Television set Technology
Car Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Tire

#20 ·
I agree with all of your assessments @caramesc on the ladder!
When I was ordering, James said the v1 (tubular version - mine) was about 2lbs lighter that the CNC v2 (yours) and about 15lbs -ish overall IIRC. That was one reason I went with it. I also just prefer to simplistic style of the tubular that seems to match my platform rack really well.
My hatch struggles too but I can hold it at max opening for a second and it will stay open most of the time. I am looking for a solution to either support it at full opening or strengthen the struts as it seems like it is just a touch to much. I use it to get to my platform and not to hold extra gear. No way it is staying up with anything mounted to it unfortunately.
it is quick and easy to remove. I do it quite often for car washes and when I know it won’t get used.
overall I am happy with it but will find a solution to the strut issue to eliminate the one negative of the ladder for me.

#21 ·
I guess that 2 pounds makes a difference. It'll stay open maybe 1/10 times, and that's after holding it for about 15 seconds. Right now i have a large piece of styrofoam that I jam in there to keep it somewhat open. I'm sure that's good for the car. If anyone knows how to strengthen the struts, let us know.

#22 ·
Hey Everyone, I am new to this forum and found it while searching for this ladder. I purchased and after using for about a month we decided to remove it and sell. Our garage is fairly low and the rear door does not open fully which makes day to day use difficult. Anyhow, here are a few pictures to share of the ladder on/off the vehicle. It really does look great with our Front Runner platform. I am going to try and put it in the marketplace here if anyone is interested.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
. Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Light Motor vehicle
. Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Automotive tire
. Window Wood Rectangle Street light Art