Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out if there is a way to disable the rear interior lights from automatically turning on when the doors open? My 2 year old daughter has been abruptly awaken a few times by the light above her door. I've found the standard 3-position interior switch for the front On - Door - Off, but nothing for the rear.

Seems strange not to have that feature as all of my vehicles have had that standard since the 80s.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Bright light wakes up one of my kids, too. I haven't found a way to control individual lights or dim them all; I don't think it exist. A less invasive solution is to cover the light with blue painter's tape.

·
Registered
680 Posts
3M Transpore Medical Tape:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...re-Surgical-Tape/?N=5002385+3293321941&rt=rud

This is textured, so you can use a black "Sharpie" marker to color it and thus dim ("darken") and further diffuse the light. Peel/cut to-shape, then put it on another, disposable/sacrificial smooth surface (like a plastic cutting board or just a glossy magazine cover) to color it. Color it first in one direction, then 90-degrees perpendicular to your initial strokes. If you need to darken it even more, add a second (or more) layer(s).

It's an old trick, I'm not the inventor. ;)

The only down-side with this tape is that it may leave a residue. It does on skin, where the edges leave residue that, after a few showers/washings, falls off. I am not sure what it will do on vehicle plastics - whether if only the edges will leave residue or if the center may, too - nor how easy such residue may be to remove with solvents like GooGone. ( I've used it on plastics before, but I have never had the occasion to pull it off, as those items I used it with were disposable - https://www.brite-strike.com/product/apals-all-purpose-adhesive-light-strips/ )

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts