Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don’t know when or how this thing is supposed to work. For me, most of the time it doesn’t. I push the dash switch and get 3 quick beeps which means it’s not going to open the rear hatch. I’ve had it work when the engine is running and in park, then not work under the same condition. I’ve had it work when I’ve stopped the engine but haven’t opened the driver’s door, and then not work under the same conditions. Sometimes it will work if the engine is off and I open the driver’s door, sometimes not. I get the safety thing, but it drives me crazy. What use is it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve had it work when the engine is running and in park, then not work under the same condition. I’ve had it work when I’ve stopped the engine but haven’t opened the driver’s door, and then not work under the same conditions.
In these conditions are the doors unlocked? I believe they have to be unlocked for it to work. The factory default is the unlock when the drivers door is opened. I changed it to when the vehicle is put in park for this reason and for the gas cap. (I'm in NJ and don't have to open my door at gas stations)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had some issues with it but you do have to push and hold till it opens. I have had a couple times where I had to shut the car off, restart then it worked

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
i know that frustration. All doors have to be unlocked for that button to work. WTF Subaru?
Not quite. Just when the car is running or recently exited. The car can be entirely locked, and one just needs to walk up with the FOB and press the tailgate button, or it can be completely locked and one can use the FOB to open it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2019 limited. Fob and switch on the rear door work, but the button on the dash only works intermittently. I do hold the button in for the sufficient time. Very frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2019 limited. Fob and switch on the rear door work, but the button on the dash only works intermittently. I do hold the button in for the sufficient time. Very frustrating.
If you are sitting in the vehicle, you MUST unlock the doors with the button on your driver's door (or by opening your driver's door if auto unlock is turned on) to be able to use the button on the dash and just like with the fob, you must hold down the button for a short period of time for the hatch to open. If your passenger opens their door before you unlock from the driver's seat, the button will fail until you manually unlock your vehicle. (There's a TSB that is supposed to help with that...see Robert's sticky thread about that in the forum)

Reactions: FirstSubie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts