Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to understand what combination of conditions and chants are necessary to be able to open the hatch using the button by the driver’s knee.

I have not studied the book in great detail on this as it seems to me that from the operator’s perspective this should be no more complex than a garage door - open with a remote, open with a hardwired button, or open with external keypad. And don’t try to close it on anything or anybody.

Nope. Tried again today to open it from driver’s seat for someone. “Beep beep beep”. Engine on, engine off, driver’s door open, driver’s door closed, just “beep beep beep”. Life’s way too full to study a book for a button that opens a hatch.

Finally, just walk to the back and both of us stand there while I press the hatch button and it beeps twice and opens. I do not believe we have ever achieved whatever conditions must be met to be allowed by Subaru to open the hatch from the driver’s position, but some day I might and it’ll totally feel like such a big win.

That’s all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll second that. I even tried the Dr Strange technique of "gesturing hypnotically" but the results were...specious. Screaming at the hatch button with threats also had a minimal effect.

It has something...SOMETHING... to do with the doors being locked, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
Yes, you will get 3 beeps if you press the hatch button on the dash with the doors locked even if the motor is off. 3 beeps if the motor is running and the transmission is not in Park, with the doors unlocked.

It also takes a long press any time, not just a quick one to get 2 beeps and opening hatch.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
The vehicle must be unlocked for the hatch button to work...and yes, hold the button in just like you have to do with the fob to open the hatch. It's designed that way to avoid inadvertent opening.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've also found a lot of people have bumped the Memory Height button and the memory height is either set to "closed" or hasn't been set yet. You may also need to do a simple reset. Just open and close it by hand. It should be good after that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The vehicle must be unlocked for the hatch button to work...and yes, hold the button in just like you have to do with the fob to open the hatch. It's designed that way to avoid inadvertent opening.

There may be something to this as I would have pressed it like, well, a garage door button. Click in and out without a pause in depressed position, but getting 3 beeps means I must have pushed it long enough to matter?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, you will get 3 beeps if you press the hatch button on the dash with the doors locked even if the motor is off. 3 beeps if the motor is running and the transmission is not in Park, with the doors unlocked.

It also takes a long press any time, not just a quick one to get 2 beeps and opening hatch.

Here’s the part of that that puzzles me. I don’t think I specifically made sure doors were unlocked. But, if I got out of the driver’s seat after unsuccessfully trying the dash button, toodled to the back, and pressed the button under the hatch handle which resulted in opening, that implies to me that it was already in an unlocked state, else it would not have opened by that means either?

Thinking back, I pulled in the driveway and having stuff in the back, but knowing I’d not been able to open the hatch from the dash before, I put in park and set brake and pushed button.
Got the 3 beeps of denial.
Turned off motor by pressing the start/stop button, and tried again. No joy.
Opened driver’s door, and tried again. Nope.

By now my passengers had disembarked and were at the rear gate to help unload cargo expecting hatch to be open, but it was still closed and beeping angrily at my novice attempts to argue with the button of denial, so I walked back and I pressed the button under the handle. The door did the 2 longer beeps and granted us access, and we went about our business.

Maybe next time I will specifically press the door unlock, but I’m sure I’ll miss something else with regard to other criteria. Oh well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here’s the part of that that puzzles me. I don’t think I specifically made sure doors were unlocked. But, if I got out of the driver’s seat after unsuccessfully trying the dash button, toodled to the back, and pressed the button under the hatch handle which resulted in opening, that implies to me that it was already in an unlocked state, else it would not have opened by that means either?

Thinking back, I pulled in the driveway and having stuff in the back, but knowing I’d not been able to open the hatch from the dash before, I put in park and set brake and pushed button.
Got the 3 beeps of denial.
Turned off motor by pressing the start/stop button, and tried again. No joy.
Opened driver’s door, and tried again. Nope.

By now my passengers had disembarked and were at the rear gate to help unload cargo expecting hatch to be open, but it was still closed and beeping angrily at my novice attempts to argue with the button of denial, so I walked back and I pressed the button under the handle. The door did the 2 longer beeps and granted us access, and we went about our business.

Maybe next time I will specifically press the door unlock, but I’m sure I’ll miss something else with regard to other criteria. Oh well.

Did you, perhaps, have your key fob in your pocket when you stood in front of the rear hatch and pressed the button? If the car senses the presence of the key fob in front of the hatch the door will open when the button is pushed regardless of whether or not it is locked.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
I just spent some time fooling around with the locks and doors trying to get 3 beeps, for me it only beeps 3 times when the doors are locked. However, the driver's door will open when locked and the other doors can be manually unlocked at each door, so even with the doors "locked" everyone can get out but the power locks are still engaged which will cause 3 beeps when the rear gate button is pushed. As already mentioned, if you are carrying the FOB the rear gate will open from the outside regardless.

Hope that this helps!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just spent some time fooling around with the locks and doors trying to get 3 beeps, for me it only beeps 3 times when the doors are locked. However, the driver's door will open when locked and the other doors can be manually unlocked at each door, so even with the doors "locked" everyone can get out but the power locks are still engaged which will cause 3 beeps when the rear gate button is pushed. As already mentioned, if you are carrying the FOB the rear gate will open from the outside regardless.

Hope that this helps!

Thanks. I’ll play with it

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks to all on this post. I thought it was just me going bonkers. Glad or sorry to hear others are having rear hatch fun with the beaps that say, “no you can’t have your luggage tonight.”

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have yet to understand what combination of conditions and chants are necessary to be able to open the hatch using the button by the driver’s knee.

I have not studied the book in great detail on this as it seems to me that from the operator’s perspective this should be no more complex than a garage door - open with a remote, open with a hardwired button, or open with external keypad. And don’t try to close it on anything or anybody.

Nope. Tried again today to open it from driver’s seat for someone. “Beep beep beep”. Engine on, engine off, driver’s door open, driver’s door closed, just “beep beep beep”. Life’s way too full to study a book for a button that opens a hatch.

Finally, just walk to the back and both of us stand there while I press the hatch button and it beeps twice and opens. I do not believe we have ever achieved whatever conditions must be met to be allowed by Subaru to open the hatch from the driver’s position, but some day I might and it’ll totally feel like such a big win.

That’s all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trick is to keep your finger pressing the button for about two seconds after "beep, beep, beep. That the only thing that works for me.

My issue with the hatch is how to open it from the outside using the button on the door with the fob in my packet. It should work, right?...not!

·
Registered
1 Posts

That’s all.
If the ascent is like the Outback, just push and hold the dash button for about 2 seconds. I believe it must be in park. Also please look over some of the manuals. Lots of good info. We car guys love car manuals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lol @ “don’t try to close it on anything or anybody”
Yeh there is no safety sensor to stop if it is coming down on something/someone - hit my husband in the head and almost gave him a concussion. Only if it doesn’t latch. That was disappointing to find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lol @ “don’t try to close it on anything or anybody”
Yeh there is no safety sensor to stop if it is coming down on something/someone - hit my husband in the head and almost gave him a concussion. Only if it doesn’t latch. That was disappointing to find out.
Hmm. I was standing next to ours with a bike rack put back in an "up" position which will block the rear hatch door and accidentally pushed on the button to close the door. I panicked a bit, but just pushed back up on it as it came down, and it backed off, back to the full open position. I felt a large bit of relief that it wouldn't crush me against the bike rack, nor damage itself...

·
Registered
49 Posts

That’s all.
It’s easy. On the driver’s door panel, unlock the doors. The hatch will open when using the button near your left knee.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts