Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea about installing the rear fog light(s)?
It is not listed as an option when I purchased the Ascent, however I found the reserved indicator above the speedo meter..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I installed a set. They replace the reflectors in the rear bumper.

I wired mine into the trailer hitch wiring.

As for or the dash light, there is no way to activate that without at a minimum new software, a new switch and wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
AFAIK, they're a requirement in the EU and maybe elsewhere. IDK if the harness/connections/software are on the US models, or what the US laws may be with regard to them. Some years ago I had an Audi with a single rear fog light which I did use when conditions warranted, and driving in the EU I saw them on other cars, but I believe that was before they became mandated. There are these running/brake light replacements for the reflectors. I have no experience with them but others have said the fit the Ascent.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

As for or the dash light, there is no way to activate that without at a minimum new software, a new switch and wiring harness.
According to the article I linked to above (I have not checked accuracy of law reference), only one is allowed in the rear in the US.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

can you please link to the specific fog light product you purchased. Was this fog light the same as what is used in the front?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
According to the article I linked to above (I have not checked accuracy of law reference), only one is allowed in the rear in the US.

and

both seem to allude to the same thing. There is no SPECIFIC requirement for rear facing fog lamps, however there are a couple of mentions of "auxillary lamps" which must "be on when the vehicle's headlights are on in a steady state". Take that for what you will.

As for the article mentioning the european automotive exec making that statement, that could have been in reference to some sort of import clause on foreign vehicles, but I can't seem to find the letter of the law.

Having an '04 Saab, I can verify that it came off the boat with rear facing fogs on both sides, and one of the bulbs was removed...but when I snapped a second bulb in there (to satisfy some BS pennsyltucky inspectors power trip) it worked just fine.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

and

both seem to allude to the same thing. There is no SPECIFIC requirement for rear facing fog lamps, however there are a couple of mentions of "auxillary lamps" which must "be on when the vehicle's headlights are on in a steady state". Take that for what you will.

As for the article mentioning the european automotive exec making that statement, that could have been in reference to some sort of import clause on foreign vehicles, but I can't seem to find the letter of the law.

Having an '04 Saab, I can verify that it came off the boat with rear facing fogs on both sides, and one of the bulbs was removed...but when I snapped a second bulb in there (to satisfy some BS pennsyltucky inspectors power trip) it worked just fine.
S6.1.3.6 Auxiliary lamps mounted near identification lamps. Each auxiliary lamp must be located at least twice the distance from any required identification lamp as the distance between two adjacent required identification lamps.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I wonder if the 1 rear fog light thing was to avoid confusing the 2 rear facing fog lights with an oncoming vehicle in your lane?

Of course around here one light can mean it's a Chevy Silverado because most have a burned out running light or headlight. ?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

I brought up this issue with Drive Radio this morning and John Rush stated that he thought the modern rear lights and reflectors are vastly improved than previous years that he did not believe it was necessary to assist others seeing our vehicle in fog or snow white outs. I have not tested this out yet. I did notice the difference in the photos linked above but I do not know if those photos represented modern auto lighting.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rear fogs are bright red, like a brake light. The idea is they penetrate the fog/snow and allow drivers behind to see you sooner if you're not applying your brakes.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
S6.1.3.6 Auxiliary lamps mounted near identification lamps. Each auxiliary lamp must be located at least twice the distance from any required identification lamp as the distance between two adjacent required identification lamps.
Right, I saw that...but that doesn't specifically identify directionality or even the number required - or limited to.

The NHTSA chart doesn't either, as I saw.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Right, I saw that...but that doesn't specifically identify directionality or even the number required - or limited to.

The NHTSA chart doesn't either, as I saw.
Have you by chance actually tested the visibility with day running lights on and the reflectors from the rear during fog or white outs (day and night)?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Have you by chance actually tested the visibility with day running lights on and the reflectors from the rear during fog or white outs (day and night)?
not on my subie and not pertaining to this issue at hand, but i've done more than enough testing for GSA Spec. (KKK-A-1822) as applic. to emergency vehicles - in regards to driving and emergency vehicle lighting in all conditions, both in design and proof-of-concept.

Reflectors are maximally effective with directional light, so I'd take an active set of lightheads over a passive set of reflectors in a whiteout or fog conditions. And when the time permits, I plan on getting a set of active rear facing fog lights on my ascent - as we see plenty of snow up here.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
not on my subie and not pertaining to this issue at hand, but i've done more than enough testing for GSA Spec. (KKK-A-1822) as applic. to emergency vehicles - in regards to driving and emergency vehicle lighting in all conditions, both in design and proof-of-concept.

Reflectors are maximally effective with directional light, so I'd take an active set of lightheads over a passive set of reflectors in a whiteout or fog conditions. And when the time permits, I plan on getting a set of active rear facing fog lights on my ascent - as we see plenty of snow up here.
I live in Denver so I am interested as well. I would be interested to learn which specific product you choose. I figure it can be wired into the front fog light switch, although I have no idea how this is done.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The lights that I linked to above that replace the reflectors are combination marker brake lights. You could hook up the brake light circuit of those lights to a switch to use them as fog lights. IDK about the regulatory implications.

·
Registered
36 Posts
can you please link to the specific fog light product you purchased. Was this fog light the same as what is used in the front?
IJDMTOY.com
75-420-Red

No not the same as the front. They replace the reflectors in the rear bumper.

Low mounted lights are easier to see in heavy fog. That's why front fogs are mounted low.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
IJDMTOY.com
75-420-Red

No not the same as the front. They replace the reflectors in the rear bumper.

Low mounted lights are easier to see in heavy fog. That's why front fogs are mounted low.
I understand they areinstralled where the rear reflectors in the bumpers are but I do nto see why they would be wired to the tail lights or any other point other than the switch for the front fog lights. I would not want these on all the time but rather only when I turn on the front fog lights. The link to that product does not indicate it fits the Ascent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand they areinstralled where the rear reflectors in the bumpers are but I do nto see why they would be wired to the tail lights or any other point other than the switch for the front fog lights. I would not want these on all the time but rather only when I turn on the front fog lights. The link to that product does not indicate it fits the Ascent.
They fit the Ascent perfectly. The Ascent reflectors are the exact same part number as the cars listed.

I like having them on whenever the headlights are on.

These are not high intensity leds, they are about the same brightness as a trailer tail/brake light.

My wife commutes on I66, and on that road, every bit of extra light helps keep you from getting rear ended.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
They fit the Ascent perfectly. The Ascent reflectors are the exact same part number as the cars listed.

I like having them on whenever the headlights are on.

These are not high intensity leds, they are about the same brightness as a trailer tail/brake light.

My wife commutes on I66, and on that road, every bit of extra light helps keep you from getting rear ended.
I have to figure out if it is legal to have two of these lights on when headlights are on. Thanks for the clarification. I will also explore LED fog lights for the rear reflector replacements.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts