Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dashcam mounted on the front windshield that's fed constant power from the fuse panel under the dashboard. It was easy enough to run the power cable along the trim and tap into one of the fuses. I'd like to mount a camera to the rear windshield and, preferably, run it to a constant power source. Has anyone done this? Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the Aukey DR03 that came with a rear camera. Has 1 cable that runs from the front to the rear. It also came with a tool to help put the cable behind the plastics and headliner. Power source is the same power source from the front camera. I am also using Aukeys power adapter that connects to the OBD port. Much easier to have a single unit that handles both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have a dashcam mounted on the front windshield that's fed constant power from the fuse panel under the dashboard. It was easy enough to run the power cable along the trim and tap into one of the fuses. I'd like to mount a camera to the rear windshield and, preferably, run it to a constant power source. Has anyone done this? Any advice? Thanks!
Yes, details here: https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/front-grill-camera-and-dash-cam-mod-for-the-ascent.7331/

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Is there any constant power source towards the rear?
There is no need, the camera gets its power from the dash cam through the cable. So if the dash cam has constant power so will the rear camera.

You can wire the dash cam so that it'll receive constant power, but that can drain the battery. The OEM Ascent battery has a very poor reserve capacity. If you want to run the dash cam with the car off, most such applications use a separate lithium battery for this purpose. The battery recharges when the car is running and runs the dash cam when the car is off. This way you do not run down the car's battery.

Here is more info:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts