Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Sad. Little Nissan sedan nailed me, going around 15mph is my guess. Guy never applied the brakes as far as I can tell, just coasted into me while we (the rest of the traffic other than him) were stopped for the light. It was a really loud Wham.

For all the impact and my sore neck, the Ascent seems to have fared okay. We'll see what the bodyshop says. I suspect the hitch mount took the brunt of the force, and may be a bit bent. The bumper was pushed in a couple inches, and all of the black plastic panels were punctured in various places. The hitch mount cover was destroyed. I think he pushed the pipes in a little too.

I have to wonder if I had left the ball mount on, maybe I would have sustained less damage. He certainly would have sustained more! More importantly, would having a large metal protrusion have gotten his attention? Hello? Don't hit this, it will hurt your car!

This is now in the hands of insurance companies.

My poor baby. 21K miles, still has a (faint) scent of new car smell.

F.S.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
That's a shame, hope your neck is ok.

Reactions: FirstSubie

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hope your neck gets better soon.

I would really want the Subaru dealer to do the repairs. If anything happens later like a blind spot monitoring sensor goes bad then there won’t be two shops pointing their fingers at each other and you stuck in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Yikes - sorry to hear it man. Been there!
We need rear, external airbags!
Better yet...a force field. :) :D
----

OP, sad you got hit. The Ascent will get fixed. Most important is that you are ok and I hope your sore neck recovers quickly!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Glad you're relatively ok and hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

Make sure they ensure that the rear radar units' mounts are not bent, and that any damaged sonar units are replaced.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I hope you feel better soon.

Too bad that Nissan didn't have a front collision avoidance system like the Ascent. The sooner other cars incorporate such safety systems the better.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Must be the week for this...someone just posted in the 2020 Outback forum that they got similarly smacked in their brand new XT, but by a lifted Jeep Wrangler that looks like it started to fall apart after the impact. The Subbie did the job of protecting the owner...thankfully, Subaru builds them well!

Reactions: FirstSubie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update:

This is taking a while to fix, but I want it all done right (however my rental Jeep Cherokee is... not an Ascent and this month has been painful). Body shop is farming out to the dealership for the rest of the fix, because upon reassembly, the vehicle threw a few error codes. Thanks to everyone's feedback here, I really wanted the dealership to be involved, and this is working out.

Talking to the dealership advisor, I had the words "Better also check the battery health" on the tip of my tongue when he said that they found a bad fuel pump. I had wondered if the battery was suffering (I've been through one OEM battery, and the 2nd one was starting to go), with the body shop probably doing things like leaving the rear hatch open when they inspected it. Anyway, fuel pump and now battery are being replaced under warranty.

(Would running a car with a withering battery affect how the fuel pump runs? Once started, the alternator should be supplying enough for everything, but is power robbed by a bad batt?)

Dealership is also doing WUV07 and WUU06, and the third one wasn't listed for my VIN. I hadn't experienced any issues, so I am hoping this work will be some simple checks that go fine, plus new firmware. And I've got free services for a while so they are doing the 24K rotation and oil change.

Hoping to get the Ascent back at the end of the week. Total bodyshop is a little over $6K so far, so add the dealership work and you've got one whopper of an insurance bill. Plus my rental car, which exceeds the $35/day in his insurance company's plan - I will bill him for a few dollars/day overage. I should have rented a truly comparably sized vehicle, but the daily was way expensive.

F.S.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
On the surface, that damage did not look like a $6K bill. New vehicles are expensive to repair. Glad you are getting it repaired properly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(Sorry for the cross-post - added to the wrong Rear Ended thread earlier. Can't seem to edit that one however.)

Picking up the Ascent, finally. At the body shop, inspecting. My car came with a factory hitch. Looks like the body shop replaced my rear bumper (black plastic) with a non-hitch set of parts, because there are no quarter turns to remove the center cover. There are simply push-clips securing the center cover bottom edge into round holes in whatever piece receives them. Body shop says they referenced the VIN and had the dealer send the right part.

In the accident, everything was destroyed and in little pieces, so there's not much to reference.

Question: Is the ONLY difference in black rear bumper parts, between hitch vs non-hitch Ascents, the quarter-turn assemblies and the c-clippy thing that slides over the receiving holes to make them rectangular? Same side black panels, same center cover? If so, then all the body shop needs to do is order the quarter-turn assemblies and c-clippy things.

F.S.

Tire Car Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Also, is there a tool missing on the left of the narrow compartment under the rear deck, or is that just a hand-hold to pull up the insert?

Bumper Vehicle Auto part Rim

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
(Sorry for the cross-post - added to the wrong Rear Ended thread earlier. Can't seem to edit that one however.)

Picking up the Ascent, finally. At the body shop, inspecting. My car came with a factory hitch. Looks like the body shop replaced my rear bumper (black plastic) with a non-hitch set of parts, because there are no quarter turns to remove the center cover. There are simply push-clips securing the center cover bottom edge into round holes in whatever piece receives them. Body shop says they referenced the VIN and had the dealer send the right part.

In the accident, everything was destroyed and in little pieces, so there's not much to reference.

Question: Is the ONLY difference in black rear bumper parts, between hitch vs non-hitch Ascents, the quarter-turn assemblies and the c-clippy thing that slides over the receiving holes to make them rectangular? Same side black panels, same center cover? If so, then all the body shop needs to do is order the quarter-turn assemblies and c-clippy things.

F.S.

View attachment 2927

View attachment 2928

Also, is there a tool missing on the left of the narrow compartment under the rear deck, or is that just a hand-hold to pull up the insert?

View attachment 2929
The only difference is the clip in retainers and the clips. You can get a set from any Subaru dealership.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
They look like this, and replace the existing ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.