Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 2019 Limited. We were rear ended on the highway. Otherwise car totaled. Ascent drivable. Went another 300 miles that night with kids in the back. However, I now need to have work done on the car. Neither my usual body shop on the dealer have done body work on the Ascent. Oh boy. Should I just take the car to the dealer body shop?

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
if it's a subaru specific dealer body shop, i'd use them. They'll probably (my speculation here, not fact...NOT FACT THIS IS NOT FACT) have access to the parts faster and are more familiar with Subaru design at least.

If it's a big auto mall with a collision center, use whichever is the most reasonable (not necessarily cheapest) in pricing. Cheaper could mean not using OEM parts, not replacing parts that need replacing, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok I have a 2019 Limited. We were rear ended on the highway. Otherwise car totaled. Ascent drivable. Went another 300 miles that night with kids in the back. However, I now need to have work done on the car. Neither my usual body shop on the dealer have done body work on the Ascent. Oh boy. Should I just take the car to the dealer body shop?
That is awful, sorry to hear and see that.

I don't know how it is in other states but in Florida if the accident wasn't your fault then the other driver's insurance picks up the bill for everything. And your insurance never even needs to hear about it. And if you were rear ended (without knowing the entire situation) then odds are it was not your fault.

Which means, if you live in a similar state, then heck yes, take it to the dealer and have it done right (through Subaru). That's what I would do anyway, all new OEM parts. No messing around.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Really sorry to hear your Ascent has already been in an accident, but glad it wasn't too severe. I'm assuming you aren't at fault as you were rear ended, so you might as well take it to the dealership for repairs to ensure everything is replaced with proper OEM parts. Aside from maybe the muffler it looks like most of the damage is just to panelling.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are all OK.

Take it to a Subaru branded body shop that's worked on any SGP vehicles. They will have the tools and full access to the body build and repair manual. It's a beastly book describing every cut and weld and part to repair virtually any damage that can happen.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is okay. Sorry this happened to you!

I'd suggest dealer if possible and insurance covers it. That way it's as OEM as possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks formal the fast responses. I am going Subaru branded body shop after calling today. Yes the other insurance carrier has capitulated already!! However, The Subaru body shop told me "you'll be our first Ascent". Maybe that means special attention to detail I hope !

·
Registered
210 Posts

So the other car was totaled? do you have frame damage?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't forget about diminished value when speaking with the insurance company.

Exactly correct! Once the repair is sent to Carfax, the vehicle will be worth around $2,000 less with a minor repair. The diminished value would be significantly more if it was major damage, but it does not look to be in that category.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks formal the fast responses. I am going Subaru branded body shop after calling today. Yes the other insurance carrier has capitulated already!! However, The Subaru body shop told me "you'll be our first Ascent". Maybe that means special attention to detail I hope !
You may already know this, but if your car needs to be in the shop for a while, if other guy is 100% at fault, you should be able to get them to pay for a rental car.

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an minor accident with my Ascent where I damaged the front bumper and the fog light assembly. My insurance company recommended a body shop in my neighborhood who is not a Subaru shop. They were able to get the parts and have it painted back like new in a couple days.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I need to get a spot on my tailgate fixed after I did something stupid.

In Illinois you don't have to use a Insurance recommended shop if you don't want to.

I thought about using the Subaru dealer shop and they get mixed reviews. Most of the complaints are the quick turn around and poor paint quality work.

I ended up finding a local shop that doesn't support a specific insurance company. Their work looked topnotch. The only downside is they don't even have the Ascent in their system yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.