Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rear Differential Oil temperature indicator came on yesterday. I pulled over and put the car in park, light went out in about 2 minutes. I was towing a lightly loaded trailer and had been for about 60 miles. I had towed the same trailer with a heavier load (500lbs more) for 120 miles the day before with no issue. After the light went out I towed for about another 60 miles with no issue. Air temperature was about 90 F. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hi, what trailer, what load, and are all your tires properly inflated to matching amounts?

Some people overinflate rear tires when towing. That will overheat, damage or even destroy a Subaru always on AWD drive train.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, what trailer, what load, and are all your tires properly inflated to matching amounts?

Some people over inflate rear tires when towing. That will overheat, damage or even destroy a Subaru always on AWD drive train.
Texan Dual axle cargo trailer; with electric brakes, trailer tires at ~48 psi, total weight ~ 2,500 lbs loaded, ~250 lbs tongue, 2 5/16 ball, Subaru tires at 32 psi cold, ~ 36-37 psi hot, both rear tires within 0.5 psi. Speed approx 60 mph.

Even though the tires were not over inflated, help me under stand why over inflation would have messed with AWD, I am new to Subaru.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
All sounds fine. Over inflating all tires isn't bad for the car. Differences in tire inflation is.

Let us know what they find, please. It's rare I've heard of a rear diff overheat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my experience (working for an axle manufacturer), typically sump oil overheating typically only happens due to churning. Meaning it'd have to be overfull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.