Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do this on here, so I wanted to post my rear cargo light fix.

I know some people have installed the forester lights in the tailgate, but I wanted the cargo light where it should have been installed from the factory. On the rear trim directly above the cargo area.

The new light is the exact same one that is located on the left of the cargo area.
Part number : 84671FG000

First remove the trim and get a center mark from side to side on the trim. After that tape out a rectangle that is the size of the inside tabs of the light. Continue to tape off around the rectangle to protect your work area. I usually put many layers of tape. I was told along time ago that painters tape is much cheaper than the area it protects, so don’t skimp. After that I take a drill and a sharp small step drill bit and start drilling well within the finished border.

Just keep drilling all the way around.

You will get to a point that the center drops out. At that point you switch over to a hand file. I use flat and round files to get the desired finished hole.

Once I get very close to the tape I remove the tape to fine tune the hole with the files. Slow and steady without the tape there.

You can always remove more plastic but you can’t add it...

Once the light fits you done with the hard part.

This is the area behind where the new light will go. I moved one harness out of my way. I just had to unclip it in one spot and then push the wire forward to almost under the headliner.
Everything else up there is not in the way.

For the new light wiring I just tapped off of the two wires at the factory cargo light. Then ran the wires up to the new location. I used some insulated spade connectors to hook to the new light. If I could have found the factory style pigtail easily I would have went that route. I left the factory location light in place and added led lights to both. You can still pop out the new light to change the bulb.

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nice write up,it’s where it should’ve been in first place.I’m ordering that part and redoing mines over.Good job!

Btw,can you snap a couple of night shots so we can see the difference with the new location?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do this on here, so I wanted to post my rear cargo light fix. View attachment 4772

I know some people have installed the forester lights in the tailgate, but I wanted the cargo light where it should have been installed from the factory. On the rear trim directly above the cargo area.

The new light is the exact same one that is located on the left of the cargo area.
Part number : 84671FG000

First remove the trim and get a center mark from side to side on the trim. After that tape out a rectangle that is the size of the inside tabs of the light. Continue to tape off around the rectangle to protect your work area. I usually put many layers of tape. I was told along time ago that painters tape is much cheaper than the area it protects, so don’t skimp. After that I take a drill and a sharp small step drill bit and start drilling well within the finished border.

View attachment 4773

Just keep drilling all the way around.

View attachment 4774

You will get to a point that the center drops out. At that point you switch over to a hand file. I use flat and round files to get the desired finished hole.

View attachment 4775

Once I get very close to the tape I remove the tape to fine tune the hole with the files. Slow and steady without the tape there.

View attachment 4776

You can always remove more plastic but you can’t add it...

Once the light fits you done with the hard part.

View attachment 4777

This is the area behind where the new light will go. I moved one harness out of my way. I just had to unclip it in one spot and then push the wire forward to almost under the headliner.
Everything else up there is not in the way.

View attachment 4778

View attachment 4779

For the new light wiring I just tapped off of the two wires at the factory cargo light. Then ran the wires up to the new location. I used some insulated spade connectors to hook to the new light. If I could have found the factory style pigtail easily I would have went that route. I left the factory location light in place and added led lights to both. You can still pop out the new light to change the bulb.
View attachment 4780

If you have any questions let me know.
So you tapped off the rear cargo light? Meaning you took off all the trim to get to the wires?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you tapped off the rear cargo light? Meaning you took off all the trim to get to the wires?
After taking out the factory light and unplugging it, I was able to reach it and snake wires to it. I did not remove any trim except the upper piece that I cut. I pulled the rubber seal around the hatch opening to snake the wire.

·
Registered
627 Posts
After taking out the factory light and unplugging it, I was able to reach it and snake wires to it. I did not remove any trim except the upper piece that I cut. I pulled the rubber seal around the hatch opening to snake the wire.
I'll do this mod when I find time. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Ty3 damn fine MOD and excellent write up. I will definitely order Part number : 84671FG000 and get on this MOD.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited Technology Package
33 Posts
Thanks for your write up. Just installed my cargo light. The only thing I did differently was that I ordered Sumitomo plugs so that I could make a plug and play jumper harness from the factory plug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your write up. Just installed my cargo light. The only thing I did differently was that I ordered Sumitomo plugs so that I could make a plug and play jumper harness from the factory plug.
Thats a great idea! Do you have a link or part numbers for the plugs. I will be doing this mod again soon, if we trade up to a new Ascent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2 conductor plugs. 2 female and 1 male. The male will plug into the factory cargo light power harness. Each of the female plugs attach to factory light and the light you are adding. You will also need the proper crimper.
IWISS Weather Pack Sealed Connector Crimping Tool - Wire Crimper for Delphi Metri-Pack 150, 280 & Weather-Pack Terminals AWG24-14 IWISS Weather Pack Sealed Connector Crimping Tool - Wire Crimper for Delphi Metri-Pack 150, 280 & Weather-Pack Terminals AWG24-14 - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
For cutting out the hole in the headliner panel, I measured a little small. Drilled out the 4 corners using 1/4” bit. Then used my Dremel with a plastic cutting wheel to connect the corners and remove the square. Then I used a rotary sander bit to smooth and size the hole for a tight fit. Make sure the fit is tight so the light does not hang loose from the panel. You want it to be nice and flush.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 conductor plugs. 2 female and 1 male. The female will plug into the factory cargo light plug. Each of the male plugs attach to factory light and the light you are adding. You will also need the proper crimper.
IWISS Weather Pack Sealed Connector Crimping Tool - Wire Crimper for Delphi Metri-Pack 150, 280 & Weather-Pack Terminals AWG24-14 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732W6HQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JTTM94YKFH27Q6G8MYZM
Awesome! Thank you. I saved the link for next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! Thank you. I saved the link for next time.
Thanks for this. I decided to order the Forester light, as it was cheaper than the Ascent light. I also ordered sumitomo connectors and tapped off of the original cargo light. I then added an LED strip light by mounting it on a plastic strip, and used 3M tape to snug it to the trim. Now all of the cargo area has light.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
378 Posts
2 conductor plugs. 2 female and 1 male. The female will plug into the factory cargo light plug. Each of the male plugs attach to factory light and the light you are adding. You will also need the proper crimper.
IWISS Weather Pack Sealed Connector Crimping Tool - Wire Crimper for Delphi Metri-Pack 150, 280 & Weather-Pack Terminals AWG24-14 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732W6HQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JTTM94YKFH27Q6G8MYZM
Thanks for this. I decided to order the Forester light, as it was cheaper than the Ascent light. I also ordered sumitomo connectors and tapped off of the original cargo light. I then added an LED strip light by mounting it on a plastic strip, and used 3M tape to snug it to the trim. Now all of the cargo area has light. View attachment 13495 View attachment 13496
Quoting both since you used the sumitomo connectors, is the proper crimper 100% necessary? I see that the linked connectors are not sealed, so it's really just the wire that needs to be crimped. It looks like you can get away with using a regular crimper if you're careful.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
378 Posts
2 conductor plugs. 2 female and 1 male. The female will plug into the factory cargo light plug. Each of the male plugs attach to factory light and the light you are adding.
Ok 2 more questions:
By "2 conductor plug" I'm assuming you mean the 2-pin connectors?
And is it 2 females and 1 male, or 2 males and 1 female? I'm getting confused reading your description.

Thanks for this info, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right plugs. I suppose for the price I can just order 3 of each and have some spares since they are cheap enough and there's a minimum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts