Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you Ty3 and Bfayer for your ideas regarding the Rear Cargo illumination for the Subaru Ascent. .

Ty3 I follow your idea but installed two of the Subaru OEM Lamp: 84671FG000 instead of one with all LED bulbs.
Thank you for providing the part number for the cargo area lamp.

Bfayer I went with your simple wiring diagram and was able to find the Subaru Lamp connectors: Sumitomo HD090 Connector that you listed in your original post. Thank you for your wiring diagram and parts list.

Thank you very much to you both!

P.S. Subaru of America should be ashamed for not adding proper lighting for the cargo area on the Ascent.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow that looks like it came from the factory like that. Great job! Would you happen to have any photos of how everything is wired up and switched/controlled?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that looks like it came from the factory like that. Great job! Would you happen to have any photos of how everything is wired up and switched/controlled?
Thank you Gem837
Wiring is easy the hard part is cutting the hole for the new cargo lamps in the roof trim!

Do not cut the OEM wiring harness! Create a new wiring harness for the existing and new cargo lamps.
Your new harness should have one male connector to be connected to the OEM wiring harness where the original cargo lamp was connected before. Also you will need three female connectors one for the existing cargo lamp and the other two for the new additional lights.
All three lights operate individually with their own built in switch or all three operate automatically when the lift gate is open and goes off after a few seconds of closing the lift gate. No additional switch needed, all lights operate just like the original single cargo lamp.

Part Number for OEM rear cargo light: 84671FG000 (purchased at: subarupartsdeal.com)
Part Number for OEM connectors:
Sumitomo HD 90 Connector, item # HD 090-2 Male
Sumitomo HD 90 Connector, item # HD 090-2 Female
Non Sealed HM 090 Terminal, item # HM Male*
Non Sealed HM 090 Terminal, item # HM Female*
* Get these because the connectors did not come with them.
All can be purchased at: cycleterminal.com

I will also suggest that you review both the post from bfayer titled "Another cargo area light thread" for help with electrical diagram and ty3's post titled "Rear cargo light relocated" for help in cutting the plastic roof trim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you Gem837
Wiring is easy the hard part is cutting the hole for the new cargo lamps in the roof trim!

Do not cut the OEM wiring harness! Create a new wiring harness for the existing and new cargo lamps.
Your new harness should have one male connector to be connected to the OEM wiring harness where the original cargo lamp was connected before. Also you will need three female connectors one for the existing cargo lamp and the other two for the new additional lights.
All three lights operate individually with their own built in switch or all three operate automatically when the lift gate is open and goes off after a few seconds of closing the lift gate. No additional switch needed, all lights operate just like the original single cargo lamp.

Part Number for OEM rear cargo light: 84671FG000 (purchased at: subarupartsdeal.com)
Part Number for OEM connectors:
Sumitomo HD 90 Connector, item # HD 090-2 Male
Sumitomo HD 90 Connector, item # HD 090-2 Female
Non Sealed HM 090 Terminal, item # HM Male*
Non Sealed HM 090 Terminal, item # HM Female*
* Get these because the connectors did not come with them.
All can be purchased at: cycleterminal.com

I will also suggest that you review both the post from bfayer titled "Another cargo area light thread" for help with electrical diagram and ty3's post titled "Rear cargo light relocated" for help in cutting the plastic roof trim.
Thanks so much for taking time to this write-up! I lack the confidence to cut these shapes so I will stick to Luis Padilla's bolt-led based design from the same thread you referenced. I plan to add a shut-off timer to save the battery if I leave open the lift-gate.

Enjoy your newly illuminated cargo space.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for taking time to this write-up! I lack the confidence to cut these shapes so I will stick to Luis Padilla's bolt-led based design from the same thread you referenced. I plan to add a shut-off timer to save the battery if I leave open the lift-gate.

Enjoy your newly illuminated cargo space.
You are welcome!
Does the light in the cargo area of your Ascent goes off after a while if you leave the lift-gate open? If not you may want to talk to your dealer about that! Also you probably should replace the bulb with led. LED bulbs draw a lot less power than the incandescent OEM bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are welcome!
Does the light in the cargo area of your Ascent goes off after a while if you leave the lift-gate open? If not you may want to talk to your dealer about that! Also you probably should replace the bulb with led. LED bulbs draw a lot less power than the incandescent OEM bulb.
The cargo area light turns off after a few minutes, but only if the lift-gate is closed. It stays on if the gates is open. I tested it yesterday and the light stayed on for at least 15 minutes. Are you saying that is abnormal and the light should eventually turn off even with the lift-gate open?

My Ascent suffers from the 4-amp dark draw lift-gate issue. I had taken it in for the fuel pump recall and asked the dealer to address TSB: 07-155-19R but they did not bother to order the replacement lock until the car was already there. So now I have to take it back there to perform the TSB. I know this is off-topic but I wonder why the dealers don't pro-actively identify and recommend these TSBs when other work is scheduled? These are warranty-covered and it is guaranteed payment to them from SOA.

Thanks for the suggestion to upgrade the interior bulbs to LED's, that is one of the first things I did after purchase! As others have stated, with the Touring trim approaching $50k, the car should be replete with LEDs. The lack of lighting in the large cargo area is an inexcusable oversight for the cost and the size of the vehicle. I would've gladly traded the 4 USB ports in the rear for another light fixture.

Reactions: hfouche

·
Registered
559 Posts
I once left the gate opened for 1/2 hr the light will extinguish after awhile,not exactly sure on the timing because I was busy with a project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Ascent's Cargo lights goes off after 20 Minutes if the lift gate is left open. When I first purchased the car somehow the lift gate opened twice in the middle of the night and completely drained the battery. I took it back to my dealer and explained what happened they suggested that I bring it back to replace the PRG (Power Rear Gate Control Module) because Subaru has just issued a Technical Bulletin announcing the complete redesign of the PRG. The new lift gate control module was installed end of May 2019 and I had no more issues since.

This a copy of the Service Bulletin from Subaru:

Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module- Design Change – 2019 Subaru Ascent & Forester

oemdtc September 3, 2019 No Comments

NHTSA
ID Number:

Manufacturer Communication Number: 07-143-18R

Summary

This bulletin announces a change made to the PRG control module. This change is in response to a limited number of customer concerns regarding the PRG reversing direction before reaching the fully open position. The control module senses that an object is caught in the PRG and engages the system’s reverse (safety) function. The new PRG control modules contain improved operating logic to correct this condition.

2 Affected Products

Vehicles

MAKE
MODEL
YEAR
2019​
2019​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New PRG Lift-Gate Control Module was installed sometimes after September 2019 not March as previously stated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Subaru dealer went ahead and replaced the PRG even though the technical bulletin didn’t mentioned the random opening of the lift gate! They explained to me that since the new control module for the lift gate was completely reengineered / redesigned by Subaru that it will most likely fix all of the idiosyncrasies that were happening with the lift gate!

·
Registered
49 Posts
back light.jpg

I got a set of LED lights from Amazon. Rechargeable via a USB port which is right there. They are 3 positions; off, on and motion sensor. I only put one in and when I checked tonight it was bright. Don't need the second one. I have it on the motion setting and when I opened the tailgate the light came on. Only comes on when it's dark. Another benefit is it's held on with a magnet, so i can take it off and use it as a flashlight also. Let's see how it holds up over the winter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Could you please post the Amazon Link for those lights? Thanks

View attachment 5342 View attachment 5342

I got a set of LED lights from Amazon. Rechargeable via a USB port which is right there. They are 3 positions; off, on and motion sensor. I only put one in and when I checked tonight it was bright. Don't need the second one. I have it on the motion setting and when I opened the tailgate the light came on. Only comes on when it's dark. Another benefit is it's held on with a magnet, so i can take it off and use it as a flashlight also. Let's see how it holds up over the winter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could you please post the Amazon Link for those lights? Thanks
The ones I have are Stick-on Anywhere Portable Little Light Wireless LED Under Cabinet Lights 10-LED Motion Sensor Activated Night Light Build in Rechargeable Battery Magnetic Tap Lights for Closet, Cabinet (Silver2) - - Amazon.com They come with double sided tape for mounting, but it wont stick to the plastic. I used Velcro ALFA-LOK fasteners to see how they hold up with the heat and freezing weather. My car is outside all year, so the mounting might be a weak spot. The back of the light is magnetized and they give you a thin metal strip to mount wherever you want and then the light sticks to the magnetic strip. I used the Velcro to attach the metal strip to the car and also used extra magnets to hold the light to the metal strip. The bouncing and vibration from driving may cause it to separate. In other words, you may have to improvise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts