Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notice on mine and another Ascent on a video that directly above the cover that gains access to the rear tow hook there is a crease. Can really notice it when driving behind at night with headlights. Seems like a defect in the mold or maybe is being bent too much when installing it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has the same thing. I thought it was just the way the light hit the bumper until I physically inspected it. You can definitely feel a slight wave in the plastic where you mentioned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've notice on mine and another Ascent on a video that directly above the cover that gains access to the rear tow hook there is a crease. Can really notice it when driving behind at night with headlights. Seems like a defect in the mold or maybe is being bent too much when installing it
Mine too. Noticed it the day after I brought it home. Contacted my sales person and he said he is forwarding it to management. Wonder if I'll ever get a response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the same thing on ours. I thought either it was hit on the lot or at the restaurant we stopped at after getting it. It’s a plastic injection defect or assembly defect for sure, just glad I am not the only one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mine's pretty good, not worth complaining as I can see it only from certain angles and lighting. But here's a pic, might be helpful for you if the dealership gives you lip that it was caused by a collision. Mine wasn't.

If yours looks worse, I think it's very arguable that it's caused by manufacturing tolerances - and that quality control let yours through by mistake, or environmental conditions pushed it over the edge shortly after delivery.

F.S.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mine's pretty good, not worth complaining as I can see it only from certain angles and lighting. But here's a pic, might be helpful for you if the dealership gives you lip that it was caused by a collision. Mine wasn't.

If yours looks worse, I think it's very arguable that it's caused by manufacturing tolerances - and that quality control let yours through by mistake, or environmental conditions pushed it over the edge shortly after delivery.

F.S.
Most of the time those are mold marks, from the actual injection molding process.

I don't specifically know for sure, but I presume the Ascent bumpers are also being made at the SIA plant. I know that when I was there, we did injection molding over in the stamping shop, then the bumpers were masked and painted onsite in the paint shop. I do know that with any injection molding, due to the combination of heat and pressure involved, the product can come out looking slightly off, but still meet manufacturing tolerances.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A plumber must have been on the assembly line. :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts