Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, didn’t get the rear bumper cover with purchase. I do see the option to order it online. Does anyone know what goes into properly installing it? I want it done right, but want to avoid paying labor.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yes, and you will probably end up with a couple of bubbles underneath it. The Sonata had the dealer installed bumper cover and it had a air bubble or two underneath it. Probably actually a speck of dirt that caused the air bubble.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most of the online retailers indicate the bumper cover part is on back order with no ETA, and that's been the situation for the past couple of weeks. Anyone bought one recently?
I will probably install this one when it becomes available, but I would much rather have the option for a black rubber cover vs. the chrome.

·
Registered
357 Posts
we ordered ours with so hopefully it comes on there.

its a super easy install just make sure the car is super super clean and put it on like a sticker, just make sure to keep your fingers off of it, some bubbles will come out with time in the sun but most wont so take your time and work middle to the ends.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Most of the online retailers indicate the bumper cover part is on back order with no ETA, and that's been the situation for the past couple of weeks. Anyone bought one recently?
I will probably install this one when it becomes available, but I would much rather have the option for a black rubber cover vs. the chrome.
I ordered one (along with a few other things) a couple days ago and was told it would be here today, they double checked to make sure they could get everything too. So I guess we'll see if I actually get the call today or not.

we ordered ours with so hopefully it comes on there.

its a super easy install just make sure the car is super super clean and put it on like a sticker, just make sure to keep your fingers off of it, some bubbles will come out with time in the sun but most wont so take your time and work middle to the ends.
Why are you guys mentioning bubbles? It's just an aluminum part with strips of (probably 3M) adhesive tape to stick it down. Sure there may be bubbles because of the nature of the spongy tape not being perfectly flat but you'll never see or even know they are there. Put some good pressure on it as you're pushing it down and you'll probably squeeze some of those bubbles out too.

Unless there's something I'm missing, which is possible, I don't see the concern over the bubbles..?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I ordered one (along with a few other things) a couple days ago and was told it would be here today, they double checked to make sure they could get everything too. So I guess we'll see if I actually get the call today or not.

Why are you guys mentioning bubbles? It's just an aluminum part with strips of (probably 3M) adhesive tape to stick it down. Sure there may be bubbles because of the nature of the spongy tape not being perfectly flat but you'll never see or even know they are there. Put some good pressure on it as you're pushing it down and you'll probably squeeze some of those bubbles out too.

Unless there's something I'm missing, which is possible, I don't see the concern over the bubbles..?

I thought that is was still a clear 3m type thing, that is what I have on my STI

·
Registered
492 Posts

I thought that is was still a clear 3m type thing, that is what I have on my STI
Ah, nope. It's an actual piece of aluminum... pretty sure it's aluminum anyway, I guess it could be plated plastic. But it is in fact a solid piece that sticks onto the top of the rear bumper to protect the paint.

It's not a clear bra or Paint protection film.

I'll let you know exactly what it's made out of when I get the call. Or if someone else who already has it installed could let us know if it's really aluminum or plated plastic?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ah, nope. It's an actual piece of aluminum... pretty sure it's aluminum anyway, I guess it could be plated plastic. But it is in fact a solid piece that sticks onto the top of the rear bumper to protect the paint.

I'll let you know exactly what it's made out of when I get the call. Or if someone else who already has it installed could let us know if it's really aluminum or plated plastic?

Huh, cool yea may actually work better. We ordered it on ours hopefully I will find out Monday.

·
Registered
492 Posts

It's NOT aluminum :crying: It's plastic.

It is made in the USA though! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
It’s aluminum- I have it installed on mine. Very easy install - peal and stick. Make sure surface is clean and dry.
Are you sure it's aluminum? All prior reports indicate it is plastic with a metal finish and the earlier pictures in the thread show that it is stamped with a "7" plastic recycling symbol.

This morning I parked behind a SUV manufactured by Infiniti and noticed it had almost exactly the same piece of trim.

I'm still on the fence about this one. I'd prefer a black rubber piece. The chromed plastic is more bling than function.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree. I have a black rubber piece on my honda pilot and over the years of dragging hockey bags and skis in and out it has gotten its fair share of use. I would think that would hold up better over time than something metallic and shiny. I guess I will see how this works over the course of this hockey season (starts this week!) and see where I am in a year. By then, maybe there will be a black rubber version that will be more practical. Of course, I am still waiting for my delivery so its all academic at this point...

·
Registered
492 Posts
It’s aluminum- I have it installed on mine. Very easy install - peal and stick. Make sure surface is clean and dry.
Yes, it looks exactly like aluminum when it's on the car, they did a very good job there. But it is indeed plastic. See the photos I attached above. There was even a small section on the underside of ours where the plating chipped off.

If you could have inspected the underside of yours you would agree. Sorry, I wished it was real aluminum too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts