Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended and the only damage (luckily) is to the Access Cover (tow hitch cover), it is punctured due to debris from the other persons grill. I do not have an installed tow hitch and everything I find online talks about this. I only need to replace the access cover, I have found it online and can order it. But my question is about the clips. Since I do not have the tow hitch, I do not have the "spring clips" but the ones that are pronged and attach to the other parts of the bumper on each side.

Before I try to replace the access cover myself, I want to know if the clips in place now, will be reused (and how to remove them) or if I will have to replace them because they will be "destroyed" when I remove them from the existing place.

The current access cover is still completely in place, not loose and could just be kept on there, because it is not a danger, just an eye sore.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you yes I already have the access cover part number I was just curious as to how I actually remove those clips are they twist and pull are they just pushed down how do I remove them? They are not the springy ones they are solid plastic.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Thank you yes I already have the access cover part number I was just curious as to how I actually remove those clips are they twist and pull are they just pushed down how do I remove them? They are not the springy ones they are solid plastic.
I have the twist locks, but, there's two styles I am aware of... one that looks like it takes a philips screwdriver, and one with a flat top. I use a trim tool clip remover tool such as the two in this pic for the flat top ones:

For the ones that look like a philips fits, I twist them with a philips, without pushing them in, and then use one of those tools to pop it partway out (1/5" or so), and then use the same tool to slip under the lip of the outer ring and pry the whole thing out.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Perfect! Thank you. They are the flat head ones.
You will find four indentations/"missing" parts in the outer ring. The teeth of the tool slip under two of them, with the raised part of the ring going in between the two teeth. Then, lever the pin up a fraction of an inch until you feel resistance again. Then, pry up the outer ring, which will be loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts