Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days - as I age I find 2 days insufficient time to form coherent thoughts, yet I have a few impressions anyway. I think over time as I get used to the car the impressions will fade, and these are just chatting points anyway, not complaints.

This car joins a Toyota pickup, a Chrysler PT cruised (hey, I got a wife, it happens), and a Chevy Camaro. No brand preferences at my place; the neighbors just call me "that disloyal guy down the street." :rolleyes:

I came from a V8 BMW. Zoom zoom. Wait, wrong company. Anyway, I don't miss the power. 90+% of the time you are in traffic with other people, so "hey, watch this" abilities are not usable. The other 10% of the time you might end up in jail. I went from one to the other, and at no time did I do that "sigh" and have to act like a grown up. This seems to move out just fine and I have no issues. :thumbsup:

I terribly miss the audible front sensors when parking/pulling in and out of things. I don't find the front view camera to be confidence inspiring. It seems too distorted to me, and I'm not comfy. I do realize I got used to the pace of the sensor beeping localized by speaker corner, so you really had what you see out the front plus the sensors for corners and other things. I went back to dealer to see if there was a setting I wasn't enabling but nope. I'll survive. Just a thought.

Wanted a head up display as I have one in another car, but the dash on the Ascent is so clear and straightforward (put another way - hooray for clear dials) it's no biggy. Pro tip: If you want to have clarity and understanding about your car's speed and status, don't drive a newer Camaro. You will have a permanently etched expression of befuddlement on your face. You just have to look out the window, try to look like you got this, and hope you aren't going too fast... :confused:

A cool thing they could do is side cameras that flip the main screen to a side view when the turn signal is on. On that note, I've been on the fence about turning off the lane nanny. Man that thing is bright at night. On the other hand, the DW thinks that's a review point for driver improvement. And she can apparently see it at night. Maybe in daytime too, I dunno, but definitely at night. Sigh. :facepalm:

I drove an Audi with lane keeping and it was more like an almost autopilot (uh oh, dirty word warning). It actually kept the car centered following curves and things. This is more like a nudge nudge. Actually, that's ok with me. I note the stark difference in how they operate only to mention it, but I'm too old to be comfy with leaving a pinky on the wheel somewhere and leaving the driving to them.

The steering wheel seems small, but again that's something I will get used to.

The upper screen on my Touring is supposed to be configurable for different things on some of the screens. I read through the book and noted this, but have not been successful in customizing anything. I want to see the oil temp. No joy. Refer to para. 1 above about forming thoughts. This could be related.

Not as buttoned down as the old car, but also a much better ride. I went right from one to the other when I test drove this, and headed for a street that crosses some RR tracks with poor transitions. That would be the truth teller, and I was impressed with the Ascent's composure. No jarring and no jiggling either. Sweet.

I noted in the manual I have a dipstick to use to check the oil and not some menu somewhere. I cannot express enough how happy that made me. :clap::clap:

Oops, gotta get back to work now. :thanks:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it. I do think Subaru will up the game with those few features people are crying for in the top model and then be on-par with the luxury brands.

I did get to ride in a Lexus a few weeks ago with the 360 deg camera and I see why people like them. Beyond that I preferred my Ascent and the savings that came with it :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed today it warmed up outside and my A pillar trim fell off. Interesting.

I tried to use the pandora through my paired phone. It showed my "stations," and when I picked a station it then crashed back to radio screen. Now if I pick Pandora from the apps the screen just flashes briefly and jumps to the XM screen. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The lack of parking sensors almost deterred me from the Ascent since my wife really needs them but I'm hoping the front camera and RAB gets the job done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts