Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Realistic travel trailer options

41K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Lt.PicklePants 
#1 ·
I am new to the world of travel trailers and was wondering realistically what are some good options? It would need to sleep a family of 5 and be towable by the Ascent. What numbers do I need to look at when doing my research? I am obviously showing my lack of knowledge with these questions but everyone needs to start somewhere. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
The heaviest Ascent is 4,602 pounds. The maximum GVWR is 6,000 pounds (all trims). Maximum tongue weight is 500 pounds.

Subaru has released a number of videos of them testing it towing a 4,300 pound Airstream and passengers. That's a 405-410 pound tongue weight on the Touring trim they used, leaving just shy of 1,000 pounds for cargo.

Ideally, a trailer should be 4,000-4,300 pounds or less (80-85% roughly) for the Premium trim levels upwards. The reviews from the people who tested the towing configuration I mentioned above are pretty good.

Here's one of a few videos showing it towing 4,300 pounds pounds, plus a couple passengers:

I'm shooting for 4,000 pounds max (trailer GVWR), maybe a little more.

You'd need to factor in trim levels, cargo, passengers, etc. For instance, the Premium can tow the full 5,000 pounds with more cargo weight available in the Ascent itself because it's 125 pounds lighter than the Touring model.

As an example of the math, with a Touring:
+6,000 pound GVWR
-4,602 pounds "empty" weight
-500 pound tongue weight
--------------------------
898 pounds left for car cargo and passengers

As an example of the math, with a Premium:
+6,000 pound GVWR
-4,477 pounds "empty" weight
-500 pound tongue weight
--------------------------
1,023 pounds left for car cargo and passengers

If you needed more cargo weight, you'd need a lighter trailer than 5000 pounds/500 pound tongue weight.

Remember, that's the loaded trailer (GVWR) weight - not the empty or curb weight.

AND REGARDLESS:
If you're doing regular or long distance towing, I for one never like running at the absolute maximum rating. I'm shooting for 4,000 pounds, because it's 80%. Many people recommend staying at or under 80% or 85% max for a trailer that will be towed long distance or somewhat regularly (a couple weekends a month throughout the year, for instance).

#5 ·
Excellent units, made in Canada, priced in Canadian $$.....i’ve been looking at them ...well within weight limitation for towing behind Ascent...but look to pay a minimum of 30,000 US dollars and for some models their production will take nearly a years wait....there are many others at lesser prices but I do like the Altos and they are certainly priced less than Airstreams.

#6 ·
A few questions first.

How active are you guys. Bikes, boats etc gear?
What type of camping do you like multiple locations during a trip no more than a night or two in one location? Or base camp park it for a few days in one location and maybe do day trips to points of interest?

Weather or Northern locations is that a factor?

Keep in mind that 5 is a odd number for what’s considered micro travel trailers. But there are creative options.

#9 ·
We not do much by way of toy hauling. Mostly just hiking.

We would be using it primarily as a base camp but there will be multiple location trips too.

We live in Colorado so many trips will be into the mountains but not necessarily way off the beaten path. We have been half heartedly looking for about a year so I know that sleeping 5 is hard. The good news is that we aren't looking for huge and luxurious. We literally want it for a place to sleep and has a toilet for middle of the night needs. The bad news is my husband is 6'4" and many ultra lights we have seen have an interior height of 6'4".

#7 ·
For base camp ie staying put in one location for more than a night or two and in non Grizzly Bear locations a tent trailer offers the best space vs weight and cost penalty. Bunk bed cots set up on a large tent trailer bed provides separated sleeping for kids. Two in the bunks one on the bed. Example
https://m.llbean.com/product.html?s...2Q&llbdrd=https://www.google.com/&csp=a#93007

For hard sided it gets really tough unless parents want to sleep in bunk beds and you do a bunk cot / bed combo like above in a family of 4 travel trailer such as

https://www.livinlite.com/products/camplite-travel-trailers/CL16BHB.html

Note this 16footer is right around the max dry / empty weight you want to target lighter would be better. Remember when loaded with water and propane plus gear this trailer tongue weight will reach 500lbs quickly.

#8 ·
My dream trailer idea is a pop top trailer. Think hard sided trailer about 6ft tall when closed. A slide out kitchen ie outdoor kitchen. Rear opening doors to load bikes etc. No bathroom! Small campers and bathrooms just dont work.

Sleeping arrangements would be bunk up top under the pop top and tip out bunk off the side. Leaving an open floor. For 5 add disco cot bunk bed which can fold into a couch when bed isn’t needed. This setup gives maximum space and secure stowage for bikes, boats toys etc. fast setup. Better Grizzly bear camping options ie hard side sleeping leave tip out closed and parents setup a bed on the floor etc. Typical camping tipout bed 99% of the time.

I’d be tempted to challenge Intech trailer builders to build a custom version of one of their MaxFlyer RV trailers.

#11 ·
If your set on having a bathroom and space for 5 and serious about tge RV thing I would honestly skip the Ascent and just get a F150. My neighbor has 5 people to haul. Mom drives a mini van daily Dad drives a F150. They use the F150 for Ski trips roof box on the roof. They haul 4 dirt bikes to the moto park on the weekends. The F150 would easily fit the family and let you move up to the 21ft travel trailers that have the room ypur looking for. The Ascent just wont have the load capability for a trailer with the space you want. I know Lance campers are really poorly built I wouldn’t recommend a Lance trailer. Livin lite trailers are decent build quality for the money.

#12 · (Edited)
#15 ·
They took a much heavier Airstream through the mountains in Oregon numerous times for demos and filming and then still used it as a test car.

#16 ·
Umm no flat parking lot at sea level for the parking lot towing test drive LOL. Given I’ve traveled OR central, coastal and Eastern I have lots of family there its not Colorado or even the CA Sierras. I’ve even towed there. Theres a reason people get their highest mileage averages on Oregon slow roads low speed limits and other than the CA/OR pass its umm a very easy place to drag a heavy trailer. Not to mention very mild temps in most cases.

#18 ·
#19 ·
I have towed cargo trailers with Chevy Suburan's 1500 for a long time. I bought the Ascent Limited to replace the Suburan. I have towed the 16 ft dual axle trailer in the picture with the Ascent multiple times. It tows it well. The trailer is typically weighs in at about 3K lbs, with a tongue weight of about 300lbs. My mileage is about 9 to 10 miles to the gallon vs 24-25 mpg with out the trailer. However, the Ascent struggles with the trailer, not sure I would want to take a long trip with it. Seems to do OK for my short trips. Hope this helps.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#20 ·
Struggles or sounds a lot louder? When I tow, I hear that "Subie Growl" that's normally heavily muted in our Ascents, but it doesn't ever struggle. Just towed again last week, and it was still a breeze. Sure, the car is slower when towing (as all are), but towed as well as the ancient 'burban my friend just got rid of (better gas mileage, only slightly slower that the weirdly geared massive V8 Big Block). It was an older 'burban, and it recently died, so, there's that.

If you can feel you're towing, that's normal. If you can hear that "Subie Growl" now, that's normal (and that's not it struggling).

If it's actually struggling, I'd have it checked out.

Just shy of the 4,395 pound GVWR, with all tanks full (potable, grey and black), and two propane tanks and the batteries and gear.

I have towed cargo trailers with Chevy Suburan's 1500 for a long time. I bought the Ascent Limited to replace the Suburan. I have towed the 16 ft dual axle trailer in the picture with the Ascent multiple times. It tows it well. The trailer is typically weighs in at about 3K lbs, with a tongue weight of about 300lbs. My mileage is about 9 to 10 miles to the gallon vs 24-25 mpg with out the trailer. However, the Ascent struggles with the trailer, not sure I would want to take a long trip with it. Seems to do OK for my short trips. Hope this helps. View attachment 1354

#21 · (Edited)
Any experience / educated thoughts on the Micro Minnie 1800BH (paired with Touring with 5 passengers + medium dog)?

I worked up a spreadsheet and came up with the following:

Some conclusions:
  1. Very close with respect to maxing out the Ascent payload. (I might have actually gone with the Premium had I realized this at the time)
  2. I have enough trailer payload to carry everything in the trailer and basically nothing in the Ascent
  3. I have some headroom on the hitch weight, but need to not add to the Ascent payload...
  4. I would have to carefully load balance the trailer to minimize the added hitch weight from battery and propane (and still keep tongue weight to around 10% of the trailer weight)
  5. I might just have to leave some kids at home...
Subie Payload Capacity: 1158
Estimated Payload: Approx. 750 (passengers, dog, ball mount, roof rails, a very little bit of "carry-on") - I know this is already a lot..
MM 1800BH UVW: 3660
MM 1800BH GVWR: 5000 (85% target is 4250)
MM 1800BH Dry Hitch Weight: 382

Available vehicle payload: 18 (payload capacity - payload - dry hitch weight) = basically nothing
Available trailer payload: 640 (using 4250 (85% of 5000 GVWR) as the max)

Note that I'm leaning toward the 1700BH due to its significantly lower dry weight (3280), though the hitch weight is still similar (380) - downside is single vs. tandem axle...

Thanks, All.

#24 ·
Great information in this chain. I rented a 2017 19 foot airstream Bambi. Loaded I was about 4300 lbs and it handled well other than some sway from semi trucks on the freeway. I'm in the market for a travel trailer too and been researching for quite a while. My top choice right now is the Lance 1575. View attachment 5432
The Lance 1575 was one of my first choices, but for some reason the bathroom has no sink, which makes no sense to me on a premium, very high-cost travel trailer. What are you supposed to do? Come out of the bathroom and wash your hands in the kitchen sink? Ugh. And where are you supposed to brush your teeth? Very poor bathroom design.

Also, when the slide is closed, you can't access the bathroom. Not a great design. The 1475 is a bit smaller but much better designed.

The gorgeous, nearly perfect, Lance 1685 was my trailer of choice for a long time, but it's just a bit too heavy for the Ascent once you add in all the options. So close, but the weight, along with the price, forced me to look elsewhere.

If you want a premium travel trailer with high end features like the Lance, but at less cost and with weights that work for the Ascent, take a look at the Winnebago Micro Minnie series. I'm going to purchase a 2106DS when I retire next year.

Unlike the Lance, most features on the Micro Minnie's are included for the price, not $$$ optional, and the prices are around $10K less. Most are also dual-axle.

#27 · (Edited)
I have scanned the thread so apologies if this was already nixed by the trailer shoppers for one reason or another.

The challenge for the families of 5 + dog is the total cargo capacity since a lot is taken up by the passengers themselves and the sleeps 5 trailers are mostly bumping up or past the Ascent's max hitch weight.

In order to keep down the hitch weight how about trailers with canvas slides? Some of these sleep 7. Of course there are other tradeoffs but sleeping capacity and hitch weight are readily accommodated.

#28 ·
n order to keep down the hitch weight how about trailers with canvas slides?
Honestly, that sounds like something very worthy to consider because it balances all of the factors you mention when the number of humans increases but the limits remain the same. These pop-ups appear to be a heck of a lot nicer than the cramped things I remember from when I was a kid, too.

BTW, there is also likely fuel economy advantages because of reduced front surface footprint.

#31 ·
Are there not hard-tops that raise up in a similar manner to how the pop-outs, um...pop-out?

#32 ·
There is the smaller "A-liner" style that do pop up, but still provide hard walls. Pretty cool, just limited to 2-3 people.

We basically just need to figure out which is more important to us - roominess and interior functionality or weather/temperature/sound/bear resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.