Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made my first trip towing my teardrop trailer which weighs around 1000 pounds. The Ascent tows it very well. It's nice to be well below the limit with tow capacity. However, there is quite a bit of rattle when I go over bumps both at speed and going slowly. Has anyone come up with a solution to dampen that rattle? I'm wondering if some sort of shim would work or are there better solutions?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just made my first trip towing my teardrop trailer which weighs around 1000 pounds. The Ascent tows it very well. It's nice to be well below the limit with tow capacity. However, there is quite a bit of rattle when I go over bumps both at speed and going slowly. Has anyone come up with a solution to dampen that rattle? I'm wondering if some sort of shim would work or are there better solutions?
There's is a simple solution - go to eTrailer and look up receiver dampening ..... there are hitch locks with dampening devices to lock the ball bar into the receiver and prevents rattling.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it is the receiver something like this could help:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/MaxxTow/MT70258.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjw85zdBRB6EiwAov3Ritx5S5Cl3jpWluycuXJHK0ln2E6h-3aIiokYKzmbNefqUSX-ga9inhoCeTIQAvD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxGord-Hitch-Stabilizer-for-1-25-and-2-Hitches-Anti-Rattle-Hitch-Tightener-Heavy-Duty-Lock-Down-Rust-Free-Tow-Clamp/936326013

Or if it is the chains rubbing/rattling on the bumper fascia you could use a bungee or something else to pull them up towards the trailer/hitch, or pad them, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely the receiver rattling - I wonder which would work better - A hitch stabilizer versus Anti-rattle hitch pin? Would either fit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's definitely the receiver rattling - I wonder which would work better - A hitch stabilizer versus Anti-rattle hitch pin? Would either fit?
We use a hitch stabilizer like the one linked to Walmart and it works great. However, there isn't a lot of room with the ascent receiver and the body of the car so you have to turn it upside down with the angled metal flange on the top side of the draw bar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Walmart type mentioned above "can" fit but the bolt heads are very close to the body and hard to get a wrench on without potential scratching. Wondered if the Etrailer one would fit the odd hitch / ball mount that the Ascent has since I am guessing the space is not enough. Anyone found a solutions that works well? I have now tried three different ones and none fit as well as they do on my other SUVs. Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just hammered a thin washer in between the receiver and the hitch and that works great
I've done this before but also had a **** of a time getting it out sometimes. I'm trying duct tape this time around, but don't expect it to last.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've used these type of anti rattle products..... it may or may not fit it there is a flange on the receiver (???).....if it fits, it's another step to secure the hitch in the receiver. The hitch/receiver pin and lock is the best option..... slide and thread the pin into receiver, tighten and add lock...done...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 6" drop ball mount included with the hitch option is heavy duty and very well built, but also very loose in the receiver. It has a solid shank so I could not install my anti-rattle pin (requires hollow shank). The shank is also too short to install most external anti-rattle devices. I ultimately purchased a new Fastway 6" drop ball mount that has little more exposed shank to attach my anti-rattle clamp. I bought the version with the integral lock. Non-lock version also available. They are aluminum and pricier than a steel one, but also much lighter weight.

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flash-locking-ball-mount-lbm
https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/receiver-pins/thc200/

·
Registered
561 Posts
If it rattles a lot, even on small bumps then maybe you don't have enough tongue weight??? at 1,000 i think it should be about 100lbs.

I have correct tongue weight on mine and it rattles some on rolling bumps if that makes sense and I've mitigated that with several wraps of duct tape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it rattles a lot, even on small bumps then maybe you don't have enough tongue weight??? at 1,000 i think it should be about 100lbs.

I have correct tongue weight on mine and it rattles some on rolling bumps if that makes sense and I've mitigated that with several wraps of duct tape.
I think the tongue weight is around 130 lbs but I haven't actually measured it. I hadn't thought of duct tape but that would have helped I'm sure. The above device really cinches things in and fixed the problem I had; so I'm pretty happy with things now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hitch rattle

I'm towing a 2500 lb box trailer at times and the rattle is an issue on rough roads. I ordered a clamp from Amazon and of course it won't fit the tight hitch to receiver clearances. If you are handy and have some tools, including a welder, drill press, tap and such, the Amazon fix can be used as a start for a clamp from the top of the 2" square hitch to the bottom of the receiver and hitch. Mine has a 1/2" key across the top and bottom with crosspiece that bears on the hitch bottom to the rear and receiver to the front. The two 8mm cap screws are tightened up at assembly to put a pre-load on the joint and the rattles are gone. It's a fussy fix yet it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's still happening on a 2019 Ascent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my Ascent in the shop for the rattling and knocking while towing a utility trailer. The service dept tighten 14 mounting bolts which were not to torque spec. After four hours of driving, they knocks and rattling is back again. Does anyone have a real solution? I'll be making another appointment next week in another state.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts