Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Ascent for just over 1 week.

The last couple of days I have started to notice rattling noises in the passenger seat, steering column and dash area. Also noises coming from the back.
After further inspection it seems as though the passenger floor area is not secure. if you tap on the floor it rattles the plastic on the side. It sounds hollow.
Still need to deduce where the rear noise is coming from.
Vehicle was also delivered with a dent in the gas cover cap and swirl marks in the paint.

Will update on how dealer responds to this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm trying to trace down a couple rattles. One near rear passenger side and another in dash. Disappointed as my cheaper Legacy still doesn't rattle after 6 years or hard use. Side note roads around me are some of the worst.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve got a rattle too. Seemingly passenger front seat area. Not safe to track down while driving. Noticed it Monday, when it was 3 days old.

Anybody?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’ve got a rattle too. Seemingly passenger front seat area. Not safe to track down while driving. Noticed it Monday, when it was 3 days old.

Anybody?
Nothing like that, but peak under that seat for a loose wire harness or clip, or HVAC duct, etc. Or just bring to the dealer at some point.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've tracked down a few:

One was found where your left foot would be and against the side wall..it's a piece of white plastic the size of stick of gum with a wiring harness plugged into it. Might be a sensor for the side air bags?? I'm not sure why else this part would be affixed to side when it could have kept within the wiring harness.

On the bottom of steering column their is a piece plastic that i think houses wiring and the rubber shield also rests against it and when hitting bumps it causes a tapping noise. I added some sound damping mat to the plastic and took care of it.

Another was found with both rear sun shade mechanisms and since i was already tearing apart my door to replace faulty door handles i addressed these with some butyl tape. I also added some butyl sound damping mat to the large surface areas on the outside door skins and now the doors shut with more authority.

I still have the sound of a faulty front strut and now it really stands out since everything else has been fixed:(

The hitch and receiver also makes a loud racket when towing i've ran some duct tape around the receiver and helped a little.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Anybody?
I picked up my car two days ago, and yesterday I noticed a rattle from the same general area. I noticed the seat itself was vibrating, and that was the cause, but I couldn't tell where the actual sound was coming from. No passenger. And last night going to dinner, my wife was in that seat and there was no problem.

I love the car overall, and it's so quiet. The downside is that it's so quiet, you'll hear everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear a rattling/creaking coming from the center box between the driver and passenger seat. It kind of drives me insane since it’s generally such a quiet car.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I picked up my car two days ago, and yesterday I noticed a rattle from the same general area. I noticed the seat itself was vibrating, and that was the cause, but I couldn't tell where the actual sound was coming from. No passenger. And last night going to dinner, my wife was in that seat and there was no problem.

I love the car overall, and it's so quiet. The downside is that it's so quiet, you'll hear everything.
I have the exact same problem. The rattle from the passenger area was driving me crazy so I asked my son to drive while I tracked it down. However, if you sit in the passenger seat, it stops. It has to be the seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I brought the car in to the dealership to fix the scratch it had on delivery and I also told them about the rattle. When I picked up the car they made me look like an idiot and told me it was a pair of sunglasses. Not surprisingly, turns out they are the idiots as the rattle is still present. I agree, it is definitely something with the seat. If I simply put finger pressure on the seat it goes away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had the car a couple weeks now, and the front passenger seat is not rattling anymore, and hasn't been for some time, so that's good!

·
Registered
627 Posts
rattle by the door handles/door controls inside driver side. No bottles or lose items in the cubbies. I press against it and it quiets, 2600 miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I brought the car in to the dealership to fix the scratch it had on delivery and I also told them about the rattle. When I picked up the car they made me look like an idiot and told me it was a pair of sunglasses. Not surprisingly, turns out they are the idiots as the rattle is still present. I agree, it is definitely something with the seat. If I simply put finger pressure on the seat it goes away.
When the dealer diagnoses rattles they usually have one person drive while the mechanic searches for the rattle. In this case, someone sitting in the passenger seat will stop the rattle. So that's probably why they couldn't find it. You need to tell them to have the other person sit in the back while searching.

With so many people reporting the passenger seat rattle, you'd think it the cause would have been found by now.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Update on the passenger seat rattle. I had my son sit in the back seat today to try to find the rattle, since it goes away when someone sits in the front seat. To my surprise, he said it was not coming from the seat, but from the pillar directly to the right of the seat. It has something to do with the seat belt because pulling on the belt creates the rattle even when the car is stopped, and when buckled it attenuates the rattle, which is why it stops when someone sits in the front seat.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to take the trim off and track it down.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ok, I found the rattle coming from my passenger side. It's definitely coming from the passenger side seat belt tensioner, without question. I removed the trim panels surrounding the tensioner and traced the noise right to it. All you have to do is tap on it and it'll start rattling like crazy. It sounds like an internal mechanism which is vibrating, perhaps a spring.

You can easily test if you have the same rattle. Just pull or tap on the seatbelt height adjuster, that seems to really set it off for some reason. You don't even need to drive the car. If you have this particular rattle, keep reading. If not, you probably need to look elsewhere.

I don't recommend anyone remove the tensioner because this is a tricky mechanism. I've replaced them in the past. They contain an explosive charge you don't want to mess with, and you can get the belt stuck in a reverse lock situation which is a bit tricky to recover from. Instead, take it to the dealer and inform them the sound is coming from the tensioner. Let them fix it.

You might want to attempt one thing first and you don't need to disassemble anything to try. Simply unroll the seat belt all the way to the end stop and then let it roll up again. Repeat if necessary. For some reason, this fixed the rattle on mine, although I don't know if it will last. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Noise coming from eye sight housing (cover ) while on the hwy noise start when hitting small bumps or driving on clement pavement . I press housing in and noise would stop . Any ideas how to stop it ? Should remove cover to investigate ill probably make it worst

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You can easily test if you have the same rattle. Just pull or tap on the seatbelt height adjuster, that seems to really set it off for some reason. You don't even need to drive the car. If you have this particular rattle, keep reading. If not, you probably need to look elsewhere.

I don't recommend anyone remove the tensioner because this is a tricky mechanism. I've replaced them in the past. They contain an explosive charge you don't want to mess with, and you can get the belt stuck in a reverse lock situation which is a bit tricky to recover from. Instead, take it to the dealer and inform them the sound is coming from the tensioner. Let them fix it.

You might want to attempt one thing first and you don't need to disassemble anything to try. Simply unroll the seat belt all the way to the end stop and then let it roll up again. Repeat if necessary. For some reason, this fixed the rattle on mine, although I don't know if it will last. I guess we'll see.

Yep, a one time firing charge.

My driver's side does this every now and then. I haven't heard it happen lately, but if it does again, I will try what you suggest. Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Noise coming from eye sight housing (cover ) while on the hwy noise start when hitting small bumps or driving on clement pavement . I press housing in and noise would stop . Any ideas how to stop it ? Should remove cover to investigate ill probably make it worst
Is it the sunglasses/back seat mirror that's doing it? The one in my Outback used to do that, and I ended up putting two tiny felt furniture feet on the inside (one each side) which permanently stopped the issue from happening.

Anyways, on the Ascent, I plan on doing that with a piece of felt, not for rattling (mine isn't), but to prevent glasses from falling out when I open it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s more the plastic covering the cameras . While driving I push in plastic and noise would stop .(right below camera) I will try the felt pads to see if it helps

1 - 20 of 26 Posts