Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1800 miles on my Touring. Starting at about 1000 miles I hear a rattle from the sunroof area at certain RPMs or road surfaces. Opening/closing the shade has no effect. I am able to get it to go away by slightly lowering the passenger-side rear window. Not much, just the minimum you can lower it with the switch. Superficial inspection of the sunroof doesn't reveal anything to me, (except a lot of whitish lube around the edges of the track) Anyone else hearing this? Any ideas of what it could be?

Super Moderator
Do you have sunglasses in the holder up there? Mine rattle fairly often and it鈥檚 kind of in the same area. Just checking ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My next step is to have my wife confirm the noise while I drive, but I hesitate to draw hey attention to this defect in this VERY expensive purchase. She hated my CR-V for this very reason.

Registered
Sounds like you might be better off finding a solution before confirming the problem lol. If you can reproduce the sound, the dealer might have a better chance in sourcing the cause. Does it being open/closed make any difference?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having the cover rolled back or the sunroof open doesn't seem to affect it. The wind noise makes it harder to detect, however. I can't tell if it's coming from the sunroof track area or the headliner above the passenger door

Registered
I may have the same and also did all the things you mentioned. Today I think I isolated it to the front sunroof panel being loose on the front side paralell to the windshield.

If I push slightly on it it makes the sound. If I close my driver's door it rattles. If I hold it and close the door, no rattle. If I open the sunroof and close the door, no rattle.

I will tell the dealer to look at it when I get my 6k service in 2 weeks.

Banned
I had the rattle in ours. Car was at dealer for 2 /1/2 days while they took it apart and adjusted the roof. Same as OP - the rattle was absent when the roof was open. Then about 10 days later I had to take it back. Driving one day and all of a sudden I get a warning on the info system and also to my phone that the safety communication system was not working. Dealer found the system disconnected. I assume it was caused by tech putting everything back together.

Registered
Hey @AStew8 were you able to resolve this? Our new to us 2020's Sunroof rattles on any bump or rough patch, fairly loudly, whenever it is open. It does not seem to rattle when in the closed position like yours. I also noticed that with it open, it has quite a bit of play and wiggles around easily by hand. I have yet to get the dealer involved, I wanted to see what the forum guys say first.

Registered
I have about 1800 miles on my Touring. Starting at about 1000 miles I hear a rattle from the sunroof area at certain RPMs or road surfaces. Opening/closing the shade has no effect. I am able to get it to go away by slightly lowering the passenger-side rear window. Not much, just the minimum you can lower it with the switch. Superficial inspection of the sunroof doesn't reveal anything to me, (except a lot of whitish lube around the edges of the track) Anyone else hearing this? Any ideas of what it could be?
Hey @AStew8 were you able to resolve this? Our new to us 2020's Sunroof rattles on any bump or rough patch, fairly loudly, whenever it is open. It does not seem to rattle when in the closed position like yours. I also noticed that with it open, it has quite a bit of play and wiggles around easily by hand. I have yet to get the dealer involved, I wanted to see what the forum guys say first.
My 2020 Touring also rattles and drives me up a wall! Anyone able to figure this out? My front sunroof is cracked and I am waiting for the dealer to get the replacement section. Hopefully once it's replaced it will just go away 馃

Registered
Same here, my 2019 started rattling sometime around March, at first only over "badly potholed" roadways, now it does it over any rough surfaces. It sounds like the wind deflector, however the dealer has not been able to fix the problem despite making two attempts to do so.The only results of these attempts is an over abundance of "white lube" spread along the tracks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.