Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a super annoying rattle coming from the instrument panel area of my dash. It's almost like something is clicking around in there. It seems to happen most often when my Ascent has been sitting out in the hot sun for a while, and then it eventually goes away after I drive for 5 minutes or so. Perhaps after the interior has cooled down some from the air conditioner?

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Here's a link to a video I took below.

Dash Rattle

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This is typical with the Ascent. Such rattles come and go.

When the rattle is occurring, press on the center roof switch/light panel. A lot of people report rattling from this area. Pressing will stop it temporarily. I had it and was able to fix it.

Also, press on the ivory-colored panels on the left and right. Rattles are known to come from each.

If you narrow down any rattles, let me know and I'll tell you how to get them to stop.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That kind of sounds like the rattle I've narrowed down to the eyesight camera housing on the headliner. It's the whole panel that has the lights and sunglass holder in it.

When you hear the rattle, press up on the beige plastic that shrouds the eyesight camera (it works for me if I press the right side camera). If the rattle stops, then you know where it's coming from. I have yet to fix this, but you will need to unscrew from within the sunglass holder and then pry off the whole panel. Fix any contact points with cloth tape and that should muffle the rattle.

The only other rattle/sqeak I have gotten is the center console where the shifter is. That used to make noise last summer, but has been quiet so far since. The same type of fix would apply to this panel as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. The noise is definitely coming from the dash area and not the eyesight/light housing. Pushing on the latter does nothing when the rattle is happening. If I apply upwards pressure to the instrument panel shroud, though, the rattle lessens or goes away entirely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That kind of sounds like the rattle I've narrowed down to the eyesight camera housing on the headliner. It's the whole panel that has the lights and sunglass holder in it.

When you hear the rattle, press up on the beige plastic that shrouds the eyesight camera (it works for me if I press the right side camera). If the rattle stops, then you know where it's coming from. I have yet to fix this, but you will need to unscrew from within the sunglass holder and then pry off the whole panel. Fix any contact points with cloth tape and that should muffle the rattle.

The only other rattle/sqeak I have gotten is the center console where the shifter is. That used to make noise last summer, but has been quiet so far since. The same type of fix would apply to this panel as well.
Have you found a solution for the eyesight rattle? I have the same issue and I’m taking it to the dealership to get it fixed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes - I found the same rattle on the instrument cluster panel and it goes away by pushing upwards. I think theres a few screws on top and I was thinking about tightening those up. I hate rattles! Of course my wife hears none of them...,

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have you found a solution for the eyesight rattle? I have the same issue and I’m taking it to the dealership to get it fixed.
I have successfully stopped the rattle in this area on my Ascent. The overhead panel is held in place by two screws and several clips. Remove the screws and carefully pull off the panel. Apply felt tape to all locations that may rub against anything, especially around the clips.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, but I haven't performed this fix yet. I'm positive removing it and using "Tesa tape" to dampen that rattle will fix it. @pro10is mentioned the correct procedure above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - I found the same rattle on the instrument cluster panel and it goes away by pushing upwards. I think theres a few screws on top and I was thinking about tightening those up. I hate rattles! Of course my wife hears none of them...,
I thought of this, but mine were already as tight as they could be. I have an appointment on Friday for my 12,000 mile service, so I'm going to bring it up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I finally got around to doing this the other day. For sure, tightening those bolts won't do anything as they're already tight.

First, open the sunglass holder and remove the two 8mm bolts that attach the assembly to the ceiling. Then pry they whole thing out (it has 4 clips). Then remove two wiring plugs so you can remove the entire thing.

As I was holding the assembly in my hands, I gave it some twists and flexes. The two black pieces that flank the door to the sunglass holder were squeaking quite a bit. These pieces snap in place. To take them out, just push the tabs and pull the pieces off. I put some Tesa tape on the tabs and snapped the pieces back in place. I also applied tape to the 4 clips that go into the ceiling. Everything I applied tape to is circled in red. After I snapped everything back in place and tightened the two bolts, there is no more creaking from that area. Car feels rock solid again.

IMO, this is a DIY job so that you can perform without leaving any evidence behind. I'd be concerened about a tech getting dirty fingers on the headliner. I still have the finger marks on the scuttle door in my hallway from an exterminator who wore his work gloves to perform an inspection. It's just best to DIY whenever possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a super annoying rattle coming from the instrument panel area of my dash. It's almost like something is clicking around in there. It seems to happen most often when my Ascent has been sitting out in the hot sun for a while, and then it eventually goes away after I drive for 5 minutes or so. Perhaps after the interior has cooled down some from the air conditioner?

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Here's a link to a video I took below.

Dash Rattle
Q

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited Technology Package
33 Posts
Any solution to the instrument panel buzz? I have determined that it has to do with the plastic surrounding the AC vents. When the vehicle has been parked out in the sun, the plastic panel buzzes as it cools down. Turn off the AC and the buzz fades away. If you drive long enough, the buzz goes away presumably after the plastics have all cooled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts