Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
We want them but we have factory mud guards. I will probably wind up taking them off once I see some photos posted here with the Rally Armor flaps. Just to clarify, I posed a question to Rally Armor about fitment with the factory mud guards. This was their response:

"The design is specific to an Ascent with OEM guards removed.
Hardware and installation was spec'd out for Rally Armor mud flaps only, not over factory guards.

Kind regards,
Rally Armor"

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
We want them but we have factory mud guards. I will probably wind up taking them off once I see some photos posted here with the Rally Armor flaps. Just to clarify, I posed a question to Rally Armor about fitment with the factory mud guards. This was their response:

"The design is specific to an Ascent with OEM guards removed.
Hardware and installation was spec'd out for Rally Armor mud flaps only, not over factory guards.

Kind regards,
Rally Armor"
Ther are two fairly large pieces of plastic that get replaced when the front OEM mudgaurds are installed. Will the RA mudflaps work without them or would you need to source those parts?

·
Registered
500 Posts
anyone install these Ascent specific ones yet? I have put RA mud flaps on my previous Subaru's, but there is something that just does not look right about them on the Ascent. I am wondering if it is RA pictures, or not.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My son's have the Rally Armor's on their WRX, STI, and my SIL has them on his Focus ST. Personally, I think they look pretty good on the sportier cars, but are not that attractive on SUV's.

I have never seen them on a Highlander, CX-9, or a Pilot, for example. I understand most people buy them to keep rocks/mud off their vehicle, so looks may not really be an issue for most.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wonder why they say not to install along with the OEM ones. For the Crosstrek, they (the aftermarket flap makers) say it's fine to use the OEM mud "guards" along with aftermarket flaps, and many folks seem to install them that way and have no issues. The Ascent mud guards don't appear to me to be so different that they wouldn't also be usable in the same way. I'm curious about what I'm missing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ordered mine last night. As far as I'm concerned, mud flaps are mandatory for this car. This picture shows a regular occurrence and what strikes me as a design flaw in a vehicle that claims to be for off-road use in any way. This car has been washed twice and you can see the mud still lining the bottom of the door and door frame. This happens on the front doors on both sides. The only way I have found to remove it is to open the door and carefully spray it off while trying to minimizing any splash into the interior from the frame or back into your face from what is basically a channel under the door. I haven't seen this before in any other car I've had, and I really don't like the idea of having to address this issue on a regular basis. Hopefully the mud flaps will alleviate it entirely. Personally, I think that Subaru needs to fix this, or include effective mud flaps as standard equipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went round and round in my noggin about mud flaps, and have ended up ordering the "universal" flaps from Amazon instead of the "fitted" ones, cuz them drilling a few holes in each flap, to me, ain't worth an extra $80+. Especially since there's SO MUCH I want to buy for the Big A.

I could completely screw the pooch on my hole drillin, have to buy another set, mess 'em up again, then buy a new set before gettin' the holes right and STILL save money.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I wonder why they say not to install along with the OEM ones. For the Crosstrek, they (the aftermarket flap makers) say it's fine to use the OEM mud "guards" along with aftermarket flaps, and many folks seem to install them that way and have no issues. The Ascent mud guards don't appear to me to be so different that they wouldn't also be usable in the same way. I'm curious about what I'm missing.
I installed the Rally Armor mud flaps with the OEM splash guards. There is no issue using the front flaps with the OEM guards, they work fine together.

The back flaps are a different story. The OEM splash guards will interfere with the metal bracket used to install the rear flaps. However, this is easily remedied. All you need to do is cut a small notch in the splash guard where it contacts the bracket. Then drill a hole (or cut a square hole for the screw insert) where the fourth bracket mounting hole contacts the splash guard. (see photo).

Also, continue to use the two screws that came with the OEM guards for the middle two bracket screws rather than using the Rally Armor screws in this location.

Both the front and rear flaps can be installed without removing the tires provided you have an offset Phillips head screwdriver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.