Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're a hit with me! It's one thing to just turn on wipers, but I always hate it when the rain is intermittent and no setting seems to cover it. Either not often enough or too often. Enter Rain Sensing Wipers. They do a pretty good job.:smile_big:

·
Registered
98 Posts
A really astute driver could probably detect the rain. That said, I'll let you know what I think of these after I pick up my car next week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I LOVE these wipers!

I didn't realize they were on until it started raining when they came to life. At one point, it was a torrential rain and the wipers were automatically on HIGH. When the rain slowed, so did the wipers.

This is a great option.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have never had them but I rented a car in Iceland that did and I absolutely loved them!!! I was stoked to find that the ascent had them and I am quite excited to have them for the 5 days a year that it rains here...

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
A really astute driver could probably detect the rain. That said, I'll let you know what I think of these after I pick up my car next week.
I LOVE these wipers!

I didn't realize they were on until it started raining when they came to life. At one point, it was a torrential rain and the wipers were automatically on HIGH. When the rain slowed, so did the wipers.

This is a great option.
:grin: LOL! There are so many little convenience options that I thought "gee, are we getting to be that lazy?", but once I had them, my reaction was similar to yours. I'm thoroughly loving all the little convenience options!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't have them on my Premium trim, but I remember back when my brother in laws Mitsubishi Starion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion had it, it was pretty neat but then we lived in CA so.. it didn't get used much LOL. Funny to see it come on though.

I'm used to turning it on manually, it doesn't bother me much. But yeah it would be nice to have it but not a need.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does the limited have these wipers? Wife drives it mostly but says she always turns them on. I thought limited and touring have them But could be wrong.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Do you just leave the wipers on and they stop going when it isn't raining? Have to admit I have noticed the auto adjustment to the wipers but I still turn them off when it isn't raining.
I leave mine on auto at virtually all times. If I need to quickly wipe the windshield, or make it realize there's condensation on it, I quickly pull the lever towards me and quickly release (which also activates a brief spray of washer fluid).

Only time I turn them off is in the car wash.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Must be the control freak in me. I don't use the Auto on my headlights or anything else! :D

Robert, I think that our Outbacks had an additional setting where you could push the entire stalk upwards instead of rotating it downwards for a Mist type setting, to avoid having to dispense the washer fluid? I'll check it out when I leave for work in a bit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Must be the control freak in me. I don't use the Auto on my headlights or anything else! :D

Robert, I think that our Outbacks had an additional setting where you could push the entire stalk upwards instead of rotating it downwards for a Mist type setting, to avoid having to dispense the washer fluid? I'll check it out when I leave for work in a bit.
The Ascent has that as I use it all the time when it is just misting out instead of the auto wipers.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Anyone figure if the rear wiper will be "auto" to?
No, but at setting one, it's auto variable intermittent, meaning it varies speed/frequency automatically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It rained the day we picked up our car. There are 4 detents on the delay knob for the wiper, but only the 1st caused a delay, all the others were constantly on. I'll recheck them when it rains again, but so far, I don't like them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Limited with windshield change due to stone damage. New Subaru windshield installed, now rain sensing acts like typical intermittent wipers. Anyone have this issue?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Sorry...

Limited with windshield change due to stone damage. New Subaru windshield installed, now rain sensing acts like typical intermittent wipers. Anyone have this issue?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, your wipers always acted like intermittent wipers. Only the Touring trim comes with rain sensing wipers.

A Rain Sensing Windshield Wiper system that automatically operates and monitors the wiper speed based on the amount of rainfall is standard on Touring.

You will note your lack of this sensor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts