Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue when I start the vehicle in the morning with the windshield covered in rain/dew. The eye sight will disable itself without even trying the wipers. It didn't always do this, any ideas?

I promise they are still set to automatic verified via the top center display and the arm position. I either have to spin the intermittency dial or move the wiper arm to off and then back to auto.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm having an issue when I start the vehicle in the morning with the windshield covered in rain/dew. The eye sight will disable itself without even trying the wipers. It didn't always do this, any ideas?

I promise they are still set to automatic verified via the top center display and the arm position. I either have to spin the intermittency dial or move the wiper arm to off and then back to auto.
I have the same issue with the auto wipers. I was assuming that some computer somewhere in the car that runs them was just waiting their turn to boot up...but it takes too long for them to finally kick in for that to be the problem.

I hope someone has a great idea on this.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Hi folks. If the system is off, and the windshield accumulates moisture that is not moving, then the system will not always react to it when you turn the car on.

To get it to do so, simply do any ONE of the following...
  1. Spin the dial a click either direction and back.
  2. Pull the wiper lever to "mist" the windshield.
  3. Move it out of and back into auto.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi folks. If the system is off, and the windshield accumulates moisture that is not moving, then the system will not always react to it when you turn the car on.

To get it to do so, simply do any ONE of the following...
  1. Spin the dial a click either direction and back.
  2. Pull the wiper lever to "mist" the windshield.
  3. Move it out of and back into auto.
Most rain sensors rely on using infrared light being sent out of the sensor, the light hits the water and is refracted instead of being directly reflected back to the sensor. When the sensor doesn’t see the usual levels of light coming back it turns on the wipers. The less it sees its infrared light coming back the faster the wipers go. I don’t think water movement comes into play unless the Ascent has a different type of rain sensor.

Being in the hot and humid south and having water condensate on my windshield every night so I am used to your suggestion #3. I do think it would be rather nice if the auto wipers would be active from the start.

Just so everyone knows this is a very minor issue to me and not the end of the world. I would like it to kick in right away but I am not that fussed about it. I also wonder if this is common across all cars with rain sensing wipers because I never owned a car with this feature before. I am more curious about why the delay happens then anything.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Most rain sensors rely on using infrared light being sent out of the sensor, the light hits the water and is refracted instead of being directly reflected back to the sensor. When the sensor doesn’t see the usual levels of light coming back it turns on the wipers. The less it sees its infrared light coming back the faster the wipers go. I don’t think water movement comes into play unless the Ascent has a different type of rain sensor.

Being in the hot and humid south and having water condensate on my windshield every night so I am used to your suggestion #3. I do think it would be rather nice if the auto wipers would be active from the start.

Just so everyone knows this is a very minor issue to me and not the end of the world. I would like it to kick in right away but I am not that fussed about it. I also wonder if this is common across all cars with rain sensing wipers because I never owned a car with this feature before. I am more curious about why the delay happens then anything.
Alas, I think you misunderstood, through fault of my own for not going into more detail. Sorry about that.

With the water not moving and the car off, the system calibrated when turned on. It's always doing so. There are no usual levels of light. That's how it works day and night.

So, the system does not realize that it is seeing reflected water because there's no change in what it detects. It's changes in reflections it detects, not specifically/solely reflections.

That's also why going around a curve at just the right time of day causes the sun to refract through the windshield onto the sensor and trigger the system.

The sensor can also be set off by hand, btw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts