Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my fellow Touring owners, I have a question regarding the Rain Sensing Wipers. In previous vehicles that I have owned with this function, the frequency of the wiper movement is driven by the amount of rain. In my Ascent, it seems to be on/off only and frequency seems to be a function of which setting I use with the turn wheel (i.e., more frequent wipe on the "most sensitive" setting). Shouldn't the frequency increase with a heavier rain regardless of the sensitivity setting. Mine doesn't appear to do that. I did have to replace my windshield and subsequently my rain sensor so I'm wondering if something got messed up in that process.

Any inputs you can provide are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
771 Posts
^ In my use of this feature, I also believe there's some kind of magical-car-computer calculus going on, taking into account both the wheel setting as well as just how much rain EyeSight "sees."

Overall, I'm getting more and more fond of it as the days go by, although there are times when I still wish I had full manual control. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
it's both (wheel & amount of rain), based on my observations (and I live in Seattle known for rains).
Agree.. Yesterday I was drove through north georgia mountains as storm passed over us. Rain was fluctuating between with mild and torrential and rain sensing wipers worked like a charm. What i noticed is that rotating wheel increases and decreases sensitivity of full speed. With low setting rain had to pour really hard for wiper to go full speed. And with high setting rain.. wiper went off full speed pretty quick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses. I think I need to have mine checked out. It seems to be more on/off with the wheel controlling frequency versus the behavior you are all describing (which is how I would expect it to work). The sensor does seem to work for not starting unless it’s raining but it doesn’t vary the frequency much. Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wipers are doing the exact same thing and I too recently replaced my windshield with a Subaru windshield. Re-calibrated all the eyesight again. But in rainy Northern California I can't seem to get the rain sensor to activate my wipers. Did they install the incorrect glass? Or am I missing something about these wipers? I did consult the manual. You beat me to the post chrick!! Thank you!

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Here's what to look for.

My wipers are doing the exact same thing and I too recently replaced my windshield with a Subaru windshield. Re-calibrated all the eyesight again. But in rainy Northern California I can't seem to get the rain sensor to activate my wipers. Did they install the incorrect glass? Or am I missing something about these wipers? I did consult the manual. You beat me to the post chrick!! Thank you!
This image is for a different matter, but it will tell you if they reinstalled everything properly. The rain sensor is shown, as well as no dots/black shading over the sensor area.

So, here's what you need to check:
  1. The rain sensor is still there. It will be passenger side of the rearview mirror stalk. You can see it from the inside or outside.
  2. The windshield has no black shading/dots covering the sensor and you can clearly see the sensor from the outside of the car. Note the square with no shading where you can see the shiny reflective sensor in the image.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've not had my Touring very long, but what I've seen so far is that the wheel really has no effect on the wipers. There are 4 detent positions, the 1st detent causes a wipe followed by a delay, the other 3 detents are continuous wipes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On my Touring, that first detent will be :
- No movement if no rain
- Intermittent if a little rain
- Continuous if a lot of rain
- High speed continuous if the rain is pounding down (seems to proactively run at higher speed with higher car speed too)

I guess that's rain sensing! And its "aggressiveness" against the various rain scenarios adjusts with the stalk knob setting.

F.S.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Touring Rain Sensing Wipers

I've not had my Touring very long, but what I've seen so far is that the wheel really has no effect on the wipers. There are 4 detent positions, the 1st detent causes a wipe followed by a delay, the other 3 detents are continuous wipes.
Alas, no. But that's a common misconception based on how they react to rain. It only seems that way. Here's the settings for the Touring Rain Sensing Wipers.
  • (UP) Mist and single wipe
  • OFF
  • AUTO
  • Low Speed
  • High Speed

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I think I need to have mine checked out. It seems to be more on/off with the wheel controlling frequency versus the behavior you are all describing (which is how I would expect it to work). The sensor does seem to work for not starting unless it’s raining but it doesn’t vary the frequency much. Thanks again.
Unless you experience that fluctuating rain you may feel that wheel controlling frequency is not doing its job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It seems with mine, that the faster the speed of the vehicle, the faster the wipers go. If it is light rain and I am sitting at a stop light, they might move every 45 seconds. Same amount of rain, but increase the speed they begin to wipe faster. When I am the driving 55-60, they are continuous, even when I think they should not be wiping at all. I pretty much just leave them turned off, the push them the stalk up once for a quick wipe when I think it is needed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
that makes sense

It seems with mine, that the faster the speed of the vehicle, the faster the wipers go. If it is light rain and I am sitting at a stop light, they might move every 45 seconds. Same amount of rain, but increase the speed they begin to wipe faster. When I am the driving 55-60, they are continuous, even when I think they should not be wiping at all. I pretty much just leave them turned off, the push them the stalk up once for a quick wipe when I think it is needed.

As you are driving faster, you windshield will encounter more water/rain, even though the rate of rainfall stays the same, because your windshield is passing through a greater volume of rain per unit of time, as you move faster through it. So the wipers respond by increasing their cycle frequency.

I found the automatic wipers to work well in my car, once I figured out how to engage them (I think there was a function on one of the screens on the car that directed me how to properly engage them, as well as a few other safety systems).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Touring as well. The forst and only torrential downpour uncovered a possible problem with my rain sensing wipers. You would think with the heavy rain on the highway, the wipers would be at max speed throughout the drive. But instead what seems to happen is that I get an erratic rhythm with slow pauses between an otherwise steady maximum rate. Its very unsettling while driving. Has anyone else noticed this? i would imagine sensitivity setting wouldnt make a difference during such heavy rains.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I have a Touring as well. The forst and only torrential downpour uncovered a possible problem with my rain sensing wipers. You would think with the heavy rain on the highway, the wipers would be at max speed throughout the drive. But instead what seems to happen is that I get an erratic rhythm with slow pauses between an otherwise steady maximum rate. Its very unsettling while driving. Has anyone else noticed this? i would imagine sensitivity setting wouldnt make a difference during such heavy rains.
No, that's not normal. Refer to my image above. On the stalk, is a turning ring. Turn it top towards you (counterclockwise if you were looking down the stalk to the steering column).

·
Registered
15 Posts
That ring youre referring to is the sensitivity setting (which is also the delay setting when on manual wiper setting). I dont remember where that ring was set to when the storm hit but from my experience, the sensitivity setting variances are very subtle, even on the least sensitive setting, it would surely detect torrential rain and automatically adjust to the maximum setting at a consistent rate, one would think.

Also, on the highest or lowest sensitivity setting, the lightest misting of rain will set the wiper off. You can barely find any rain when it does sometimes. I wonder if that will wear on the wipers, as its not good for the rubber to run them dry.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I have left mine on high since pretty much day one, for the last 21,500+ miles without issue.

Do you have coatings, tint, or anything else on the windshield?

If not, I'd ask a dealer if there's a back end sensitivity setting they can adjust.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I'd turn up the sensitivity then. If it doesn't hit full speed in pouring rain while driving, then, I'd have it checked out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts